• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Spiritual oppression and possession

• Members

I have studied a little bit on spiritual oppression and possession. Can you tell me what these verses mean? And how would someone appear today if they were oppressed or possessed?

Act 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

Mat 12:29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

Mark 5:1-20, Luke 8
Matt. 8:28-34

Act 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

God has authority over Satan, when this verse says "oppressed" I believe it is referring to those we would call possessed.

Mat 12:29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

This verse is teaching that God can "kick out" the devil, but the devil can't "kick out" God.

And how would someone appear today if they were oppressed or possessed?

Today, in America possession is not that common, quite rare actually. All I can say is if you see someone possessed you will know it, there won't be any doubt. As a Christian can almost "feel" the Holy Spirit when another Godly Christian is speaking the truth, so you can "feel" the devil. That is just my experience and opinion though, don't take it as doctrine. "Oppression" as we use it today usually just means harassed or influenced by. Like what happened to Peter when he started to rebuke Jesus for saying that he was going to die and the state the lost are often in.