• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

po-ta-to

• Members

I love potatos, boil em mash em stick em in a stew....

aside from putting all types of weird things into mashed taters, one of my favorites is a simple deep fryer platter. I put em out for guests and they usually don't eat dinner because they fill up on em

I just cut the potato in about 1/4 slices, skin still on, deep fry for about 5 min @450. This causes a mashed potato like center, a slightly crispy perfectly brown outer shell

After dabbing dry right out of the fryer, I quickly salt em so the salt melts in with the left over oil and coats em well. I spread them on a plate.

Some times yes, some times no, at this point I put a coating of a sharp cheddar 4 years or more aged so it's got a bite too it.

Glob of sour cream in the middle, a generous amount of ketchup around the edge, and with a fork people can grab slices and swim em through either condiment. Trading off is great because your pallet never gets used to the flavor they are such contradictions.

Baked potato:

I go all out. I also microwave like crazy.

First I microwave some bacon. If you don't know how to do this, put a paper towel down in the micro wave, 3 strips of bacon, then a paper towel on top. In my microwave, it takes 3 min, might take more in others. This makes perfect bacon every time.

When the bacon is done, I let it cool while I microwave the potato. I have sensor cooking so I just throw in a potato, or 2 or 3, doesn't matter, it will cook them perfect every time no matter the size or number. just for fun I put in 10 potatoes once, and it cooked em for 40 min.. I found that funny.

While the potato is cooking, I cut up a couple chive onion, and bust out the additives. When the potato is done, I make 2 45 degree cuts to slice it in half creating a bowl like bottom.

In order, I apply real butter
Sharp cheddar cheese, usually yellow, some times a 10 year white
sour cream
bacon bits (smashed up the bacon I just cooked)
chive onion
A pinch of garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper

I then have a problem of deciding to eat my potato, or my steak... it's a hard choice which goes first.

• Members

Potato Soup with Dumplings

Dumpling ingredients:
2 tbs butter
1/2 cup sifted flour
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 tsp salt
nutmeg to taste
water

Soup ingredients:
4 tbs butter
1 white onion, finely chopped
4 cups cold water
2 1/2 lbs new potatoes, pelled and diced
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 fresh parsley sprigs, chopped
1 cup sour cream

To make dumplings, cream the butter and the flour together in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add the eggs and stir in the salt and nutmeg, mixing until they are thoroughly blended into a batter. Add the water, a little at a time, if the batter is too thick to be spooned into the soup. Set the dumpling batter aside.

To make the soup, melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add the onion and saute over low heat until the onion is tender but not browned. Add the cold water and bring it to a boil. Add the pottoes, celery, pepper and parsley and boil for about a minute. Reduce the heat to low and simmer fo 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft when pricked with a fork.

Drop the dumpling batter by teaspoons into the soup. Cover the pot and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the dumplings are bobbing on the surface of the soup.

Reduce heat to very low and slowly stir in the sour cream, stirring constantly until it is completely blended.
Serves 10

Love,
Madeline

• Members
There's no question what to eat first...always the potato. A cold potato is not so good. Cold steak? Not so bad.

I guess it has to do with personal tastes. I can eat anything cold, hot or lukewarm, just so it isn't frozen so hard that I have to gnaw on it like an old eskimo-hound. :lol::lol::lol: :lol:

• Members
I love potatos, boil em mash em stick em in a stew....

It's funny QG, as soon as I saw the title of your thread and how you put dashes between the syllables, I immediately thought of Sam Gamgee -- even before I clicked on the thread and saw how you began your opening post. :lol:

• Members

No, cold steak is not good. Must be hot, and moist. :drool

I'm particular about my potatoes. I like french fries, fried potatoes, mashed potatoes, etc. I do NOT like baked potatoes though. And one thing that you must never ever do is put cheese on my potatoes. There are three things that I do not like mixed in any form or fashion. Cheese, potatoes and eggs. Omlets, twice-baked potatoes, keish, you can keep it.

• Members
Chunk up some potatoes and put in a greased casserloe dish... then put a generous amount of butter in there and sprinkle with garlic..... these are wonderful!!!! Bake at 350 for about 1 hour or until potatoes are fork tender.

My DIL does this, but with a whole (large) onion chopped up fine and sauteed in butter and added to the mix. Then for the last 15 minutes remove and sprinkle shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese all over it, and quickly return to the oven for the last 1/4 hour. :hungry: If you like sweet bell peppers, you can add those too, during the sauteeing of the onions.

• Administrators

My DIL does this, but with a whole (large) onion chopped up fine and sauteed in butter and added to the mix. Then for the last 15 minutes remove and sprinkle shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese all over it, and quickly return to the oven for the last 1/4 hour. :hungry: If you like sweet bell peppers, you can add those too, during the sauteeing of the onions.

:drool

• Members

That sounds wonderful..... I will have to try that next time... :Green :thumb