• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Adam and Eve married?

• Members
God married them by making Eve for Adam and then bringing her to him.

Yes indeedy He did. :thumb

When two born-again people stand before a preacher, or some other authorized individual and say their vows they are actually standing before God. The LORD Himself recognizes that union and commands those two to follow Him in their marriage.

If those two are not saved, then what they just did is sin, b/c whatsoever is not of faith is sin. Not only that but even the "Plowing of the wicked is sin".

• Members

Marriage is given to all men, lost and saved.

I think Jesus makes it plainly clear:

Matthew 19:4-6 4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? 6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

God made them:

1) Man and Woman
2) Gave them commands that weren't pertinent to them (leaving father and mother publicly to be united in a marriage contract)
3) Commanded a commitment (cleaving)
4) Gave them the command to become one flesh...

And a Jesus said... God joined them together... Sounds like a wedding ceremony to me.

Well, it's clear that they were married. The Bible refers to Eve as his wife several times in Genesis. I don't believe they had a "ceremony" because if they did, the Bible would've said so. I believe they were married the same way Isaac and Rebekah were married. No ceremony, just the beginning of their intimate relationship.

Genesis 24:67 And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac was comforted after his mother's death.

Also, if you want to get technical... (sorry if this opens a can of worms, I hope it doesn't though)

Genesis 38:8 And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.

To "marry" someone is to have that physical relationship. Of course, intentions play a big role in whether the two people are committing sin (adultery, fornication) or beginning a new life together. Remember, in the Old Testament they didn't have marriage licenses or church ceremonies for weddings.

Our definition of marriage today includes a ceremony. The Biblical definition doesn't. (it's good to keep in mind the Biblical definition of the word as you read through the rest of the Bible. :smile )

• Members

True but intercourse alone doesn't equal marriage. Otherwise nearly everyone in the world is married and many of them, multiple times.

Not every Bible marriage began like Isaac and Rebekah. There were contracts, later on there were ceremonies. Just because they didn't do it like we do it now, doesn't mean there were no formalities. At the least, there was a commitment and not just a one-time fling.

Right, the commitment is what made it right. Like I said, it's all about intentions... Today we have ceremonies because of culture. It would look really bad for a couple to just hop in bed and declare themselves married.

• Members
Marriage is given to all men, lost and saved.

I think Jesus makes it plainly clear:

Matthew 19:4-6 4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? 6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

God made them:

1) Man and Woman
2) Gave them commands that weren't pertinent to them (leaving father and mother publicly to be united in a marriage contract)
3) Commanded a commitment (cleaving)
4) Gave them the command to become one flesh...

And a Jesus said... God joined them together... Sounds like a wedding ceremony to me.

I agree that saved and unsaved can be completely and classically married.

What I was saying though, was for the non-believers. It is sin to them, because everything they do is sin, i.e. until they get saved. Whatsoever is not of faith is sin, and an unbeliever knows nothing of faith, because he is dead in trespasses and sins.

• Members

God presented Eve to Adam, and she became his wife in the presence of God (ie. a witness) - and is referred to as his wife before they had any physical relations.

A marriage is not just two people deciding (ie. with the intention of) on being married. The type of ceremony may depend upon culture and the type of wedding desired - but a Biblical marriage is the vows before God in the presence of witnesses - even if the first couple only had God as their witness.

• Members

Genesis
23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
(the first wedding vows!)
25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

The Bible does say that Adam and Eve were married - and God officiated!!!

Is someone looking for a loophole by any chance?

• Members
Genesis
23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
(the first wedding vows!)
25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

The Bible does say that Adam and Eve were married - and God officiated!!!

Is someone looking for a loophole by any chance?

:amen:

• Members

According to Jesus they were married:

4 And he answered and said unto them' date=' Have ye not read, [b']that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? 6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
Matthew 19:4-6