• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Where did the whale spit out Jonah?

Guest Guest

• Members
52 minutes ago, Joe Chandler said:

Matthew 12:40   For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Jonah 1:15-17 says a "great fish." A whale is a mammal. Of course at that point in time it's very likely that a whale was referred to/classified as a fish. This was brought up on another board as a contradiction in the Bible.

• Members
On 6/26/2021 at 11:54 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

I agree. Jonah was not in the best of condition. It is about 350 miles from Nineveh to the Mediterranean. Twenty miles a day is a good pace ... meaning that at 20 miles a day it would have taken Jonah  between 17 and 18 days to walk from the ocean to Nineveh. Then, he walked one day into Nineveh, another 20 miles. He must have been a tired fellow by the time he got there. 

I thought you were back.

• Members
14 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Suggestion and reality are two different critters. Sorry but as for me, I am not buying it unless it says it outright. ?

Well, than why would Jesus make the comparison? The Pharisees probably got his gist that he would be dead for three days not just sitting in a tomb for three days. I'm not saying 100% but it sure sounds like Jonah was dead.

Another thing, the Greek word for "gulf" in Luke 16:26 is the same word used for "whale" in Greek. Maybe it means nothing but it is sure interesting.

• Members
12 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Jonah 1:15-17 says a "great fish." A whale is a mammal. Of course at that point in time it's very likely that a whale was referred to/classified as a fish. This was brought up on another board as a contradiction in the Bible.

You ever look up the etymology of "whale" in English? It comes from the Latin for "a kind of  large fish".

In the Greek the word for "fish" refers to a small aquatic creature not a large one while the word for "whale" means "huge sea fish" or "sea monster".

I'm not Greek linguist by any means but it's possible that the KJV translators choose to translate as "whale" in the NT because that's what the Greek word demanded. A really big fish swallowed Jonah. Whatever it was.

To retroactively apply modern day scientific classifications would be what I think they call an anachronism.

• Members
1 hour ago, SureWord said:

Well, than why would Jesus make the comparison? The Pharisees probably got his gist that he would be dead for three days not just sitting in a tomb for three days. I'm not saying 100% but it sure sounds like Jonah was dead.

Another thing, the Greek word for "gulf" in Luke 16:26 is the same word used for "whale" in Greek. Maybe it means nothing but it is sure interesting.

Interesting, yes. Literal? Not quite there on being dead. And on "whale" ? that could be... again, interesting. For all the " we've got a perfect Bible in English" I have heard from over the years, I can understand (though I don't necessarily agree with them) their skepticism when people keep going back to the Greek. Seems to leave room for doubt.

• Members
On 6/14/2023 at 1:29 PM, BrotherTony said:

I agree that this is not a contradiction. Whales were probably called fish back in the day. I just hate meaningless posts like the one I quoted. It adds nothing to the conversation and was wrong. ? 

• Members
31 minutes ago, Joe Chandler said:

I agree that this is not a contradiction. Whales were probably called fish back in the day. I just hate meaningless posts like the one I quoted. It adds nothing to the conversation and was wrong. ? 

My comments were just for point of reference and in no way meant to be argumentative. ?

• Administrators
13 hours ago, SureWord said:

Well, than why would Jesus make the comparison?

Jonah was a picture of what would happen to Jesus. Throughout the OT there are pictures, without having actual death (think Isaac being sacrificed by Abraham).

I think it's pretty clear that Jonah didn't die. Chapter 1 ends with the fact that he was in the belly for 3 days/nights. Chapter two starts with, "Then Jonah prayed..." If he were dead, he couldn't have prayed. He does say that his soul fainted but the word in  Hebrew  means the same as our modern day "languished."  That is not dead, but rather probably very weak, close to death. Just saying I think his prayer makes it clear he didn't die.

Pictures aren't always exact replicas. 

• Members
On 6/14/2023 at 4:12 PM, Martyr_4_FutureJoy said:

Where is it written Jonah was 3 days in the fish?  I think 3 days and 3 nights is very significant,  as Jesus puts it also- the ONLY sign Jesus says is given to some, right ? 

Does "without harm" in your post mean you actually believe he did not die ?

Do you believe Jesus did not die when Jesus was in the grave ?   

Just as Jesus was raised by the Father from the grave,   why not see that the Father also raised Jonah from the grave/fish ? 

Sorry. 3 days and 3 nights, my bad.