• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Where did the whale spit out Jonah?

Guest Guest

• Moderators

Now I don't have scripture to back it up, (but then neither does anyone else), but I believe maybe the fish barfed Jonah up pretty close to where he first began to run from the Lord, in Tarshish. The three days has nothing to do with the length of the journey, so much as the length of time for Jonah to repent. I just figure that since God had to give Jonah the same instruction He gave him at the first, that He may have brought him back to where he first gave the command, or as I said, where Jonah ran. 

But that's just my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 10/16/2019 at 3:48 PM, Ukulelemike said:

Now I don't have scripture to back it up, (but then neither does anyone else), but I believe maybe the fish barfed Jonah up pretty close to where he first began to run from the Lord, in Tarshish. The three days has nothing to do with the length of the journey, so much as the length of time for Jonah to repent. I just figure that since God had to give Jonah the same instruction He gave him at the first, that He may have brought him back to where he first gave the command, or as I said, where Jonah ran. 

But that's just my opinion.

He set off to flee to Tarshish but didn't get there. He boarded the ship at Joppa, modern Jaffa.

• 1 year later...
Guest David
On 11/20/2007 at 4:59 PM, Guest Guest said:
On 11/20/2007 at 4:59 PM, Guest Guest said:

I considered that... BUT when you look up "days journey" in scripture in no other place is it even CLOSE to being that far. Deuteronomy says:

"Deuteronomy 1:2 (There are eleven days journey from Horeb by the way of mount Seir unto Kadeshbarnea.)"

That is a MUCH shorter distance and yet it was called an 11 day journey.

The 11 days journey in Deuteronomy would be a journey made by women and children, elderly and sick, infants and cattle, the sick, pregnant and nursing mothers.  Jonah could of course travel much faster than them

• Members
6 hours ago, Guest David said:

The 11 days journey in Deuteronomy would be a journey made by women and children, elderly and sick, infants and cattle, the sick, pregnant and nursing mothers.  Jonah could of course travel much faster than them

Well, considering he was still recovering from getting swallowed, endured thee days of fish acid, and even near death or even dead when in there, I think Jonah could qualify as not the heathiest or fastest traveler on the road.

37 minutes ago, John Young said:

Well, considering he was still recovering from getting swallowed, endured thee days of fish acid, and even near death or even dead when in there, I think Jonah could qualify as not the heathiest or fastest traveler on the road.

I agree. Jonah was not in the best of condition. It is about 350 miles from Nineveh to the Mediterranean. Twenty miles a day is a good pace ... meaning that at 20 miles a day it would have taken Jonah  between 17 and 18 days to walk from the ocean to Nineveh. Then, he walked one day into Nineveh, another 20 miles. He must have been a tired fellow by the time he got there. 

• 1 year later...

It never says it took Jonah three days to travel to Nineveh - it just says that the city itself is a three day journey - that's how exceedingly large it was.  One Jonah walked one day journey inside the city (almost the middle) ...he preached.

• Members

The Guest has the right answer. It says Nineveh was a great city of three days journey - ie. it takes three days to cross through the city, not three days to get to the city (or else why mention the size at all - that would more be in line with mentioning the distance to it).

• 3 months later...
  • Members
On 6/26/2021 at 4:54 PM, Bouncing Bill said:

I agree. Jonah was not in the best of condition. It is about 350 miles from Nineveh to the Mediterranean. Twenty miles a day is a good pace ... meaning that at 20 miles a day it would have taken Jonah  between 17 and 18 days to walk from the ocean to Nineveh. Then, he walked one day into Nineveh, another 20 miles. He must have been a tired fellow by the time he got there. 

If God could keep the Israelites 40 years in the wilderness he could keep Jonah 3 days in the fish, without any harm, when normally he wouldn't have survived.  The fish vomited Jonah onto the land, what more do you want to know? 

Edited by Invicta
Corrected

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members
On 5/14/2023 at 5:11 PM, Invicta said:

If God could keep the Israelites 40 years in the wilderness he could keep Jonah 3 days in the fish, without any harm, when normally he wouldn't have survived.  The fish vomited Jonah onto the land, what more do you want to know? 

Where is it written Jonah was 3 days in the fish?  I think 3 days and 3 nights is very significant,  as Jesus puts it also- the ONLY sign Jesus says is given to some, right ? 

Does "without harm" in your post mean you actually believe he did not die ?

Do you believe Jesus did not die when Jesus was in the grave ?   

Just as Jesus was raised by the Father from the grave,   why not see that the Father also raised Jonah from the grave/fish ? 

• Members
1 minute ago, Martyr_4_FutureJoy said:

Where is it written Jonah was 3 days in the fish?  I think 3 days and 3 nights is very significant,  as Jesus puts it also- the ONLY sign Jesus says is given to some, right ? 

Does "without harm" in your post mean you actually believe he did not die ?

Do you believe Jesus did not die when Jesus was in the grave ?   

Just as Jesus was raised by the Father from the grave,   why not see that the Father also raised Jonah from the grave/fish ? 

It doesn't state anywhere that Jonah died while In the great fishes belly. 

• Members
23 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

It doesn't state anywhere that Jonah died while In the great fishes belly. 

It doesn't outright say it but his prayer sure seems to suggest it (Jonah 2). Enough for Jesus to compare his own death and resurrection to it.

• Members
16 minutes ago, SureWord said:

It doesn't outright say it but his prayer sure seems to suggest it (Jonah 2). Enough for Jesus to compare his own death and resurrection to it.

Suggestion and reality are two different critters. Sorry but as for me, I am not buying it unless it says it outright. ?

• Members
On 11/18/2007 at 6:16 PM, IM4given said:

BTW Jonah was not swallowed by a whale, he was swallowed by a big fish. :saint

Matthew 12:40   For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.