• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Chess

atlas

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was mention of online christians having a place to play chess. Does anyone know if there is a like site for christians to play Rook? That's my favorite card game and I would love to get in a group that plays regularly. Thanks for any help.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I have been playing chess since 1972 (age of 13). I was never in any tournaments or on any teams but I used to play on the World Chess Network until that site shut down. Each member had an official rating that equaled the US Chess Federation ratings. My rating was around 1650 (which is Class B). I don't play online chess anymore (the ads are too distracting).

• Members
I like chess but really don't like playing it online. I prefer playing it with people I know real well' date=' because i'm not good and need to be able to predict moves by their personality.[/quote']

I've never played chess online.

I knew a guy once who wasn't a very good chess player but he was EXCELLENT at reading his opponents once he played a few games with them. When I first played this guy I won the first three games. After that, we played dozens of games but I never won another. I watched him do the same thing with several other people, at least two of them were really good chess players. After about three games he started dominating the board against all of these players. One of the guys who was really good got so mad because he knew how good he was and how bad his oppenent was yet he couldn't beat him :lol:

• Members

an offshoot of the upper two posts:

What do you prefer... black or white?

I was told by the teen group I work with that a couple of them are really good at chess. I brought in a chess board, and I took white each time, and each time they all fell in 4 moves. Even the little genius who was suppose to be my down fall, didn't even know that start.

99% of the time though... ESPECIALLY with someone I've never played before, I love to get black. I let them set the tempo, and the aggressiveness of the game. I'll go up against any player in the world and hold em for 20 if I'm black. They make a mistake, I'm just about good enough to take them down.

I'm not bragging, and I wouldn't talk like this, if my last game wasn't against the runner up of the high school state championship. Didn't even know who I was playing, he was just the kid of a friend of mine. About 10 moves into it I realized I was in bad shape because I wasn't taking it too serious, and it took some recovery, but I took him down. I got a headache, and wished I wasn't playing it stupid to start, but lesson learned about slacking.

On defense, it's much simpler to play a human. Reaction in Chess takes much less thought then action, and you can easily block and counter for move after move after move until the other person gets tired, frustrated, confused, or just plain gives up. Then you kill them. After you kill them, bury the body, and clean up the chess board so no one knows they where there.

:-D

• Members

I prefer starting in the defensive position for all the reasons you mentioned, although I'm not anywhere near as good as you are and since I haven't played in years I'd probably be on the defensive even if I made the first move! :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Honest answer please.... how hard is it to learn how to play chess?

My husband is an avid chess player, he loves it and plays on several online groups. He is extremely good at chess and won many competitions (yes my husband was in the chess club in high school :lol: ). I want to learn how to play for him (he's always saying he wishes I knew how to play). My chess knowledge ends at which pieces are pawns and that the king must be taken to win - that's sadly all I know. I don't know how to play checkers either, so don't tell me it's just like that :Bleh

• Members
Honest answer please.... how hard is it to learn how to play chess?

My husband is an avid chess player, he loves it and plays on several online groups. He is extremely good at chess and won many competitions (yes my husband was in the chess club in high school :lol: ). I want to learn how to play for him (he's always saying he wishes I knew how to play). My chess knowledge ends at which pieces are pawns and that the king must be taken to win - that's sadly all I know. I don't know how to play checkers either, so don't tell me it's just like that :Bleh

It's just like checkers! hahaha. just kidding. Chess is actually pretty easy to learn although difficult to master. If you go to yahoo games and click on "chess" they have a tutorial and the other benefit is that when you play it gives you the option of showing you all possible moves when you click on any given piece during play. :smile

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members
Hehe' date=' of course! My gal's not into chess (it would get too competitive and someone would get hurt), but plays a mean game of Scrabble.[/quote']

my hubbie is sooo competitive, i have a hard time playing with him anymore. he has to win at everything. ahh well. so i used to play chess, but i don't now.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Members

I like chess fairly well; I actually learned how a while back by playing a LEGO Chess game.

I'm not that good, but I have started practicing again some lately. :icon_smile:

God bless,

Crushmaster.

I just ran across this thread. I like chess too, but it takes an awful lot of time to master it, (which I have not done) I did, however, purchase an electronic chess set, and beat it in the "beginner" mode, which is quite an accomplishment for me! I had several books about chess, including the games played by Fisher and Spasky (World champion chess players--Fisher, representing the U.S. won it hands down! He beat the Russian champion Spasky) a few years back; it was good, but, as I said, takes too much time--even more than writing on forums!