• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Im new too....In search of answers

• Members

Hi, my name is Kim, I'm new to the forum. I came across it while surfing the net. I've been searching for answers for sometime now. I am not baptist. I was raised pentecostal/holiness/aka full gosepl. Im sure most already know what that denomination believes without me going into detail.

Several months ago,questions arose in my mind, to simple innocent questions I had re: the bible and the denomination itself. I was not trying to disprove anything, only in search of answers to questions I had and could not seem to find solid biblical answers to.

I brought these questions to several people. My husband first, our bible study teacher, our pastor, etc...I never recieved a biblical answer though. I was given the following answers most of the time:
1. just because
2. that's a gray area, no one knows
3. don't question God, just be happy live by faith
4. you are letting the devil corrupt your mind and your possesed
5. it's in the bible, my response would be could you please tell me where, but no one ever would, I was just told it's in there

Some questions I must admit were probably minute, but some to me seem far more important than that and deal with my soul and eternally where it will abide.

To make a long story short, I am in search of answers. I feel as if everything I have been taught over the years has been wrong. Lies, and deciet for whatever reason. I am not sure where I stand now with the Lord and even worse I have raised my children in these beliefs and now not sure if what I have taught them and let others teach them was actually biblical. Im just in need of answers.....Please pray for me and my family.

• Members

Hi, Kim. Welcome to OB! You're not alone...I didn't grow up Baptist, either, but in "holiness"/Wesleyan type churches, although we didn't ever believe in the "second gift" of tongues. Anyway, just wanted you to know that you can feel free to ask questions here without just getting brushed off. We really do try to explore Scripture for all of life's answers, and, while there do seem to be some "gray areas" that not all Christians agree on, the important doctrines of Christianity are apparent enough to those who really study with an open heart and mind.

Anyway, welcome!

• Members

Yes, if you have questions, please ask them, they be several here who will try to answer them. Of course the most important question is always whether a person is saved or not. That is important because all people, all churches, do not teach the one true path to heaven.

Jesus told us in John 14:6; "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me," that is for anyone to get to heaven they must go thru Jesus.

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Eph 2:8-9 (KJV)

And of course we are saved thanks to God mercy by grace thru faith in Jesus Christ, not of works and not of self. That is we depend wholly upon Jesus Christ to get us to heaven, not on our works, not what we can do, not what another person can do for us, but only on Jesus, the one who was without sin having died on that old cross to pay for our sin debts.

If you have that down your ready to go.

• Members

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. I Thessalonians 5:21

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: becasue many false prophets are gone out into the world. I John 4:1

We are instructed to prove and try our beliefs to make sure they are of God. We are told to seek out godly cousel. These things are normal and fine to do. The Holy Spirit will testify with your spirit and ours and let you know if what you hear here is truth or not. You are wondering if you have been taught that which is correct. You think you are missing something. Maybe you are and the Holy Spirit is trying to guide you. The very least you should do is ask a few questions and pray about it. I know most people here will use bible verses to give you answers. I was being taught by a false teacher and found an IFB church and this web site and have come to know without a doubt that the Word of God is taught here by most people. Anyone can get on this sight so you will have to look at old questions to see which ones are the most knowledgable and back up that knowledge with scripture.

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Matthew 5:6

God will honour your quest and lead you to the answers whatever it is you need to know. Because of your desire to seek the truth, He will guide you. You need to pray for your family and husband though, that the Lord will reveal the truth to them too. Give them a discernment of the Word of God.

May God bless your quest. He's bless mine abundently for my desire to teach my children the truth. At 6 and 4 they have accepted Jesus as their Savior and now serve Him in way's that adults cannot. Or adults get turned down or turned away and they are accepted because they are children.

In Christ
Elijahruth

• Members

Kimberly, you've come to the right place for Biblical answers to questions. There are some on here who may attempt to pervert the truth but, you will be aided by many pastors and those who present Bible based answers to your questions. I hope you find those answers you've been looking for.

Dave

• Members

Welcome, Kimberly! My hubby's family were "Church of Christ"...........we went through that same "questioning" process as well, and eventually God brought us to an IFB church when we moved. Keep asking questions. The people on here have helped me immensely. :wvlf"