• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Evangelism

Guest Guest

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
As Christians we have a duty to witness. Pass out tracts' date=' give out Bibles, give kids Christian literature. Witness![/quote']
:amen: We should even when we don't feel like it you never know what God may do in the lives of the people reading the tracts. Don't be selfish but do what God wants and serve him in what ever you can do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote from Daniel Webster 1823.
?If religious literature is not widely circulated among the masses in this country, I do not know what is going to become of us as a nation. If truth be not diffused, error will be; if God and His Word are not known and received, the devil and his works will gain the ascendancy; if the evangelical volume does not reach every hamlet, the pages of a corrupt and licentious literature will; if the power of the gospel is not felt throughout the length and breadth of the land, anarchy and misrule, degradation and misery, corruption and darkness, will reign without mitigation or end.?

• Members

It's sad that America is saturated with Christian literature and Bibles yet Americans, even professing Christians, generally fail to really use these.

While it's said the average American home contains four Bibles, it's a sad fact most of the Bibles are either never read or very rarely looked upon while millions around the world need and long for these resources and have none.

• Members

I am sure there are an unlimited number of very creative ways in which a person might disseminate the gospel, and I am confident that many are capable of coming up with more and more inventive ways of doing so than I ever could.

However, this opportunity of addressing an issue that most Christian groups seem entirely to fail to consider when it comes to the issue of spreading the gospel, namely, that of preparation. Now while it is true that God is capable of using even the most unprepared person and even persons who are bad witnesses in term of their lives, if I were an unbeliever, I know for certain that the quality of the character of the person who was witnessing to me would make a big difference in the authority I was willing to grant them as they spoke with me. If I were aware, for example that the person either 1) was clearly carnal in many of their activities or 2) was clearly a hypocritical legalist, making issues of things like card-playing and dancing and tithing and the like, things that even the average unbeliever knows have nothing to do with the Bible, then I would be very unlikely to believe anything this person said or be inclined to give them the time of day. On the other hand, if someone was actually living in a Christ-like way, the love of Christ being reflected in all they said and thought and did would be most attractive and appealing, and would surely whet my appetite to want to know where this grace came from if I were the least bit interested in having a relationship with God. Secondly, I have heard many Christians give canned speeches on the gospel, and they are very annoying in my view. I know of many unbelievers would never respond positively to the parroting out of information which while true is very clearly not well-digested or well-formed but only superficially and artificially possessed by the witness. On the other hand, I can tell you that "both sides of the field" that when one meets a person whose knowledge of the truth is deep and well-digested, fully formed and understood and believed, carefully considered and made an intimate part of who they are, the words pack a power and a grace that cannot help but impress even the disinterested.

What I am saying here is that God uses prepared people "your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace" (Eph.6:15). And the better prepared we are, the better job we will necessarily do. There is no lack in the otherwise lackadaisical Christian community for wanting to evangelize the unsaved, and I suppose anyone should like Paul be content that some preach "out of inordinate competition" (Phil.1:17). But in Paul's day, Christ was little known. In our culture, who has never heard of Jesus Christ? So when an unprepared person tackles an unbeliever out of zeal (sometimes born more out of a desire to score points with fellow believers in their church than from being moved by the Spirit) and muddies the waters with false information, or creates skepticism because of a bad life witness, or cannot answer effectively the deep and probing questions of a thoughtful unbeliever because of insufficient personal spiritual growth - then the result is often more harm than good being done.

The best thing we can do whatever it is we want to do to respond to the Lord is to make the commitment to personal spiritual growth through taking in and believing the Word of God. All truly effective production and ministry flows from growing closer to and walking closer to Jesus Christ - and that is true of evangelism as well.

Love,
Madeline

or 2) was clearly a hypocritical legalist, making issues of things like card-playing and dancing and tithing and the like,

If you are regulating disapproval of those things to hypocrisy, I suspect you are painting a good size portion of the board with that brush. :Green

• Members

Madeline :goodpost:

Last Sunday our pastor touched on the fact that too many Christians try to get non-Christians to live biblically before they are even saved!

He pointed out the need for Christians to live according to the Word of God ourselves and to biblically witness to the lost rather than trying to get them to see that smoking is evil, or they shouldn't be on the gambling boat or whatever.

Win them to Christ first, then disciple them.

• Members
Madeline :goodpost:

Last Sunday our pastor touched on the fact that too many Christians try to get non-Christians to live biblically before they are even saved!

He pointed out the need for Christians to live according to the Word of God ourselves and to biblically witness to the lost rather than trying to get them to see that smoking is evil, or they shouldn't be on the gambling boat or whatever.

Win them to Christ first, then disciple them.

:amen: