• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

reaffirming family values to our children

• Members

My 11 year old was really struggling today. She was short-tempered with everyone and weepy. When I pressed her about it, she told me she felt like God had left her. I pressed more. I finally got out of her the core of the struggle. Some teenaged girls at church were making fun of how she dresses. They said she dresses "funky."

So, we went through it all again.

1. We change what we can. If I say it's too wrinkled or doesn't match, she can choose to believe me.
2. We cannot change what cannot be changed. She is skinny and has long legs. That equals hard to fit. We cannot change it. We do the best we can.
3. There are things we will not change. We will not change those things that are directly related to our modesty. If it is too short, too tight, too accentuating, too mature, too anything, it doesn't fit our definition of modest.

I listed some other families in the church who hold the same view as we do and asked her if they get made fun of too. Her eyes got big and she said yes they do. I was able to tell her then that it isn't OUR problem. It's a heart-issue with those older girls.

I also told her that the next time she hears it, she can stand up straight and say, "Talk to my mother about it." (Mama Bear still lives here :lol: )

I can guarantee that the girls who were making fun are the ones who have to tug their skirts down when they sit because they like to push the limits of appropriate.

I'm glad I'm not the only mom in our church who feels this way. It would be a lonely battle otherwise.