• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

GIANTS in ancient history - the Nephilim

• Members
Does it say married? My Bible says, "There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown." It is implied they procreated, but I do not see marriage.

Then you need to back up a couple of verses and tell me what it says.

Genesis 6:1
And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, 2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Bible says the "sons of God" took wives.
This would have been Seth, Enoch, Methuselah and the others. They were believers. Believers = sons of God.

And the book of Jude does not say angels went after strange flesh. Their sin was that they "despised dominion".
Sodom and Gomorrah went after strange flesh.

If "sons of God" meant angels, it certainly would have said so.
There are several direct definitons of "sons of God" in the Bible, and they are all referring to Believers.
There is absolutely no direct defintion of sons of God as angels. It only says "morning stars" sang together and "sons of God shouted for joy. Make what you want out of it. But are you absolutely sure it means what you might think?

• Members
Correct you are, the Nephilim took wives down here on earth!
And notice in that same passage how it carefully denotes first MEN, then the SONS OF GOD... :thumb

I agree, sons of God are fallen angels. We have had that discussion on here some 6 months or so back. Some were not to kind about my stand and got quite smarty in their remarks and I see thats coming again from those who believe they are not angels.

I know many good men who don't believe they're not angels who don't get the lest bit smarty on this subject when discussing it with someone who believes they were angels.

The thing is many people use human logic and say its not possible instead of taking things in the Bible in proper context on this subject.

But this is a subject that I can agree to disagree on. But thinking people will think the Bible is science fiction is not a logical reason for not teaching sons of God are not angels. Seems to me we can gather from God's Word that the big majority of people are not going to believe the Holy Bible is God's true word to mankind.

And I believe that is where many of the lost people who write science fiction stories got many of their ideas.

• Members
I agree, sons of God are fallen angels.

Why would God, in Genesis, give a term to fallen angels - when elsewhere in the Word of God it always refers to holy (angels, Jesus, Adam before he fell) or redeemed (believers) creatures?

• Members

I am not arguing that sons of God could refer to angels. I believe it does in various places. But those are holy angels or the angels before they fell. Are there any times in the whole Bible where this term is used to refer to an unholy creature?

• Members

Thanks for your comments Bro. Jerry80871852, and thanks to everyone else!

Yes, I am not really here to argue, and I am not being dogmatic about any of this... just saying I have spent some time studying this and simply sharing my findings, as I said before, others may be right and I could be wrong, CAN I MAKE THAT ANY MORE PLAIN? But at the same time my friends---I think it is possible there may be more to these giants the Nephilim, entire books have been written on the subject, and I do find it very interesting! :thumb

Isn't it great that after being saved for 27 years and teaching adult Sunday School for over 10 years that one can still find the Bible so interesting? I love the Bible, and I do find it very interesting that the Hebrew word for Nephilim is "FALLEN ONES," and they were known as the Rephaim (Hebrew for 'PHANTOMS').

I also want to mention that I am well aware of the passage in Matthew 22, particularly the last two words in that passage, "IN HEAVEN". If we look at this without changing the KJV text, it is at least possible that the angels who left their first estate (Jude) GAVE UP HEAVEN in order to have relations with human women, and corrupt the DNA of man. They could not take wives in HEAVEN, but they looked upon the daughters of MEN and made a decision. Were the Nephilim stupid? Or were they attempting to corrupt all flesh with violence and destroy God's creation? I sure don't know.

"In the resurrection therefore whose wife of the seven shall she be? For they all had her." But Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures, or the power of God. "For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are like angels IN HEAVEN." Matthew 22:23-30

It is interesting that in Genesis 3, God talks about putting enmity between "thy seed and her seed," and in the context, this appears to be referring to the SEED of the fallen angel, Lucifer!

"And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy SEED and her SEED; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." Gen 3:14-15

Here a few more opinions on the Nephilim...

http://www.bibledefenders.com/id17.html
http://bibleprobe.com/nephilim.htm
http://raptureready.com/faq/faq333.html

• Members

Yes, I am not really here to argue, and I am not being dogmatic about any of this... just saying I have spent some time studying this and simply sharing my findings, as I said before, others may be right and I could be wrong, CAN I MAKE THAT ANY MORE PLAIN? But at the same time my friends---I think it is possible there may be more to these giants the Nephilim, entire books have been written on the subject, and I do find it very interesting! :thumb

Isn't it great that after being saved for 27 years and teaching adult Sunday School for over 10 years that one can still find the Bible so interesting? I love the Bible, and I do find it very interesting that the Hebrew word for Nephilim is "FALLEN ONES," and they were known as the Rephaim (Hebrew for 'PHANTOMS').

I also want to mention that I am well aware of the passage in Matthew 22, particularly the last two words in that passage, "IN HEAVEN". If we look at this without changing the KJV text, it is at least possible that the angels who left their first estate (Jude) GAVE UP HEAVEN in order to have relations with human women, and corrupt the DNA of man. They could not take wives in HEAVEN, but they looked upon the daughters of MEN and made a decision. Were the Nephilim stupid? Or were they attempting to corrupt all flesh with violence and destroy God's creation? I sure don't know.

"In the resurrection therefore whose wife of the seven shall she be? For they all had her." But Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures, or the power of God. "For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are like angels IN HEAVEN." Matthew 22:23-30

It is interesting that in Genesis 3, God talks about putting enmity between "thy seed and her seed," and in the context, this appears to be referring to the SEED of the fallen angel, Lucifer!

"And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy SEED and her SEED; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." Gen 3:14-15

Serpents have "seed" - angels do not! No such thing as angel/human hybrids - never was - never will be. It's not Biblical.

If God wants to make human beings itty biddy and small (pygmies and Picts, for instance) or great big and Giant - like Watusi or Goliath - that is up to him and perfectly within his power to do so. Perhaps just the mere fact that they were so tall and overpowering was what made them so MEAN! Most large people tend to be rather irritated by the short people among them (speaking as a short person myself).

• Members

The old devil tried every way he could to mess up the seed so that Jesus would not be born a deity, sons of God marrying daughters of men was one of them, and if he had got his seed injected into the line that Jesus came from he would have succeeded. But as you know God intervened, the flood came about for that purpose, that is to keep it from happening, but as you may know many reject that completely just out of personal opinion and human logic.

I have no problem discussing it, I just know how many are on here who get that smarty attitude and get rather personal in their remarks

• Members
6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD' date=' and Satan came also among them. Job 1:6 (KJV)[/quote']

I agree that these are referring to angels - but it does not specifically say the sons of God here were fallen angels. They could just as easily be referring to the angels of God giving their reports and Satan showing up among them to cause discord and accuse the brethren.

• Members

I agree, sons of God are fallen angels. We have had that discussion on here some 6 months or so back. Some were not to kind about my stand and got quite smarty in their remarks and I see thats coming again from those who believe they are not angels.

I know many good men who don't believe they're not angels who don't get the lest bit smarty on this subject when discussing it with someone who believes they were angels.

The thing is many people use human logic and say its not possible instead of taking things in the Bible in proper context on this subject.

But this is a subject that I can agree to disagree on. But thinking people will think the Bible is science fiction is not a logical reason for not teaching sons of God are not angels. Seems to me we can gather from God's Word that the big majority of people are not going to believe the Holy Bible is God's true word to mankind.

And I believe that is where many of the lost people who write science fiction stories got many of their ideas.

People who are trying to rightly divide the Word, also don't appreciate being referred to as using "human logic" and "humanistic thinking" and a few other condescending things like I have experienced when debating this subject. It gets frustrating but I do appologize for any wrong attitude. What looks like "human logic" to me is when we make the Bible say things the Bible just don't say:

Please, show me a verse the Bible, which uses the word ANGEL, and says angels procreated with women.
Please show me a place which says ANGELS intended to corrupt the "seed".
Please show me one that defines "morning stars" as angels.
Show me a verse that says ANGELS came before a THRONE of God, in HEAVEN.
Show a verse that states that angels "went after strange flesh"
Show me a verse which defines "sons of God" as angels.
I promise you I will believe any or all of these, if you can PROVE it by showing me where the Bible says it.

• Members
Show me a verse that says ANGELS came before a THRONE of God, in HEAVEN.

Job does not specify that it was before His throne - but in His presence.

Satan appears before the Lord, if not other fallen angels:

Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

Holy angels also appear before the Lord in Heaven in some sense:

Matthew 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.