• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How Do You Heat Your Home?  

1. 1. How Do You Heat Your Home?

• By living in a warm climate :frog
    • Other
    • A combination
    • Fireplace
    • Solar
    • Wood
    • Electric
    • Propane
    • Natural Gas
    • Oil

• Members

We are all electric, a heat pump. When we bought this house it had straight electric heat and it was pretty costly, the heat pump brought our electric bill down, plus we added about 1 foot if insulation in our attic.

I do have a wood heater but have not used it this year.

Last months electric bill was $132.00 & we heat 1701 square foot.

Most people that I have spoken with around these parts who use natural gas furnaces, their combines electric bill & gas bill runs more than our electric bill.

Wish I had to money to put in new windows, that would probably help us more than anything, this house was built in 1972.

I might add, after I get our next eletric bill I may go find some wood to buy. But wood is expensive too!

Before I got disabled I burnt wood every year & cut & split my onw wood, but that's to hard for me to do anymore.

• Members

Everything here is electric--hot water heater, stove and A/C and heat. Sometimes our electric bill runs $130 a month---for a 500 sq. ft., one bedroom apartment. That's mainly in the summertime when we use the A/C. For almost the same amount of usage, our bill for Dec/Jan. was $30 more than our bill for Nov./Dec. Either the rates go up in the winter or the meter person is reading it incorrectly! :dunno:

• Members
... our bill for Dec/Jan. was $30 more than our bill for Nov./Dec. Either the rates go up in the winter or the meter person is reading it incorrectly! :dunno:

I remain convinced that some electric companies are crooks. A good friend of mine thought his electric bill was way too high. He complained that he wasn't doing anything much differently in his new house than the old one, but now the bill is more than double. He asked for a technician to come and check it out, which they did after much haggling. The tech said everything looked ok. My friend was still not satisfied so he asked what it would take to have a new meter-head installed. After more haggling and many more months later they finally installed a new meter-head. Sure enough, his monthly bill is down to normal. I told him that the electric company owes him quite a bit of refund money. He agreed but told me that he was informed that the only way to get it would be to sue the electric company, which he will not do. :badday:

• Members
Everything here is electric--hot water heater' date=' stove and A/C and heat. Sometimes our electric bill runs $130 a month---for a 500 sq. ft., one bedroom apartment. That's mainly in the summertime when we use the A/C. For almost the same amount of usage, our bill for Dec/Jan. was $30 more than our bill for Nov./Dec. Either the rates go up in the winter or the meter person is reading it incorrectly! :dunno:[/quote']

I still live in the backwoods, I read my own meter each month. :wink Although they do send someone around a couple of times per year to check up on us.

But they are in the process of putting in a system where they can read our meters from their office. This has already been done where my wife's 2 brothers live. They had a neighbor who called in and complained that they had his meter reading way to high. They asked him if he had a cordless phone? He said yes, they them asked him to go stand in front of his meter, they called off numbers and asked him to look at his meter and see if that was the numbers showing up. :eek He said yes that is the numbers on my meter. Them they asked him, them is the reading to high, he meekly replied, no, you have it right on the number. :uuhm: