• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Daniel Was A Eunuch

• Members
So.. I'll ask again just cuz I don't want anyone mad' date=' but should I check Bal and the Dragon to see if it says anything on this topic? Any Nay?[/quote']

How would that help resolve or contribute to a Bible discussion?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I suppose this is a trivial issue compared to other Bible topics but it is in the Bible and I found it interesting. That is all. I had never noticed it before. If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to read or post. :wink

To me, if the king had summoned his chief baker and said, "Send me some of the best captives", the chief baker would have sent him captives in the kitchen dept., not ones from the laundry dept. Vice-versa. Why would the king call for the person in charge of the eunuchs and ask for the best and the brightest from his dept. if he really wanted someone from the chief gardener's dept. ?

• Members

I think this is a very valid discussion. It caused me to think about something I had never considered.

I welcome these kind of discussions. Either position doesnt qualify one as a heretic. new evangelical, or compromiser.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

• Members

I don't look at it as nothing more then a historical book. If it mentions something, by no means does it add to the bible, nor solve an argument, but it is a resource available that is wittings about Daniel from his time. If it mentions something on the topic, worth a look.

• Members
The apocryphal books were between about 1-300 years before Christ' date=' so really wouldn't help us understand Bible customs, etc. from 600 BC.[/quote']

It's not something I've studied or looked into, I've read most of them though. The ones I didn't are the ones that you could tell where simply.. well.. evil.

Bal and the Dragon though talks about Daniel, and I assumed it was just writings from his time, or Daniel himself, just not God inspired. Never looked into it.

Been a couple years, all I remember from it is how Daniel killed a dragon, and if they had stomachs like a bird the way he did it would of worked great.

You sure about the timing? I trust the bible, God is involved... but other writings, if handed down orally for 300 years, I'd question greatly. It's not even been 300 years and can you imagine what we'd know of George Washington if nothing was written?

• Members

One of the reasons we know the apocrypha was fake is because it was written during what is referred to as the silent years - inbetween the last book of the OT and the birth of Christ.

• Members
One of the reasons we know the apocrypha was fake is because it was written during what is referred to as the silent years - inbetween the last book of the OT and the birth of Christ.

I knew other writings where done during the silent years, even more then just the apocrypha, but fake, and non-inspired are two different things. If a story is a fake, then it's simply a lie. If it's non-inspired then it may be true, by the eyes of the writer, but in no means infallible.

Is the stance on the apocrypha from people who've researched it that they are totally bogus, or that they simply are not God inspired writings?

• Members

They are fakes - at least some of them claim to be written by Biblical characters, and in the time of those characters - though we know that is not the case. Also, the OT was written in Hebrew, yet the Apocrypha was written in Greek. There are occultic elements in some of the stories, Judas Maccabees dies three different ways in the books of Maccabees, teaches magic, praying to the dead, in one of these books is where the Catholics get purgatory, some of the books are just plain mythology - claiming to be Scripture, but they are not the living Word of God, just dead writings.

If today, someone wrote a letter claiming to be from President Lincoln, would you study it and think it was an excellent commentary on the life and times of Lincoln, or just throw it out as fake, an imposter, deceptive?

• Members
There are occultic elements in some of the stories' date=' Judas Maccabees dies three different ways in the books of Maccabees, teaches magic, praying to the dead, in one of these books is where the Catholics get purgatory, some of the books are just plain mythology[/quote']

That's true, I also found such a problem with "the book of wisdom" that I only read about 1/10 of it before smelling the evil of it and never bothered reading the rest.

Ok. Thanks for the info. This is something I will have to study farther into the future when I have time, and avoid it till then.