• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Shepherd's Chapel

• Members

When my husband was pastoring in TX we had one of the Shepherd's Chapel people show up at our church. At first, he was gung-ho about the church - loved the expository preaching, etc. Then his beliefs started surfacing in SS! eek!
Shepherd's Chapel believes in British Israelism and it's basically a deeply racist cult. We got rid of him QUICK (my husband visited them in their home and led the conversation in such a way that they were quite uncomfortable coming back).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I 1st saw them back in the 90's, 1st time or 2 I watched , I did not watch the whole show, I thought he was very impressive.

Them after watching them a few more times it started adding up, false teacher of the worse kind.

And to think, he is located in the northwest corner of my state.

Them there is that false teacher out in California, Gene Scott with all of his horses and pretty women.

When Glen Campbell claimed to have been save he said that Dr. Gene Scott inspired him to turn to Jesus and was his favorite teacher.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

In the last 2 years I have gotten to know a fellow that grew up in the town that Shepard's Chapel is located. I've always wondered about this place and what this man is like. So I asked this man, this is what he told me. Seems they keep a low profile around their home town. Thought I would share this with y'all. I might add, this man attends a SBC Church, but does not live in the town where Shepard's Chapel is located at this time.

As for Shepherd's Chapel, the church and an adjoining building (large but not huge) are located a couple of blocks off highway 72 in Gravette. The thing that is distinctive about it are all the huge TV satellite dishes located on the grounds.

One doesn't hear much about Shepherd's Chapel. They're not a cult by any means, but they don't associate much, if any, with the other churches. About the only times I see them mentioned in any of the local papers is in obituaries when they say the person attended Shepherd's Chapel. Years ago some of their faithful would display stickers on their cars promoting Shepherd's Chapel, but you don't see that much anymore. I think they concentrate on studying the Bible verse by verse like on the TV program and don't do much visible recruiting, outreach work or participate in other activities as a church. In years past I have turned on the TV in motel rooms in Orlando, FL, and Reno, NV, at some wierd time of the day, like 5 or 6 a.m., and found the program that was originating in my home town. Kinda' blows one's mind.

As for Arnold Murray, I have met him a few times in years past, but it was always as my father's son and didn't really talk to him much. My Dad, who died about eight years ago, was a friend of Arnold's. Dad, like you, didn't agree with him on religion, but Dad, a businessman who owned a business in Gravette for several years, liked Arnold and said he was a good, honest businessman. I always respected Dad's opinion on such matters. (By the way, another of Dad's friends whom he respected for his business ability was Sam Walton, with whom Dad quail-hunted often.)

During the nine years I have been back in Northwest Arkansas, the only time I have heard anyone talking about Arnold Murray was two or three years ago when the rumor was flying around that Loretta Lynn, the country-music star, had fallen for Arnold and had been seen visiting him in Gravette. Since I haven't heard anything recently, apparently that infatuation has ended...if it ever existed.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

So ya don't think it's a cult? Apparently you've never heard him preach about the "serpent seed", which basically sez that Eve had intercourse with ole Sneaky Snake when they met at the tree of forbidden fruit, and from this affair Cain was born; the kenites were Cain's descendants.

This is is direct contrast to SCRIPTURE, which sez the Kenites were part of the MIDIANITES, a son of Abraham's by his 2nd wife Keturah. Many of the Kenites joined with Israel during the Exodus, at Moses' invitation, and remained with Israel, though maintaining their own identity, for centuries. And Scripture always speax favorably of the Kenites. prominent among them war Jethro, Moses' father-in-law, Jael and her hubby Heber, Rechab, & his son Jehonadab.

Besides that, did any of cain's posterity survive the Flood? Not unless any of Noah's daughters-in-law were among them.

Murray believes in MODALISM, the false, anti-Scriptural concept that sez that GOD IS BUT ONE BEING, who assumes the office of Father, Son, or Holy Spirit as needed. Guess he never read Jesus' words, "My Father is greater than I" or about Jesus' baptism, where Jesus was physically present being baptized, the HOLY SPIRIT arrived in the form of a dove, separate from Jesus, and a voice boomed FROM HEAVEN ABOVE, "This is My BELOVED SON..." while Jesus and the Holy Spirit were in plain sight standing on the ground.

Murray said, on national TV: "You have these yo-yo's that will say, 'Well I want you to think like of water (sic) and ice' and so on, various gases or so forth, or then they'll say, 'I want you to think of a 200 watt bulb, and a 150 watt bulb, and a 50 watt bulb.' Well, they're all the same wattage, friend. So why not just simplify it instead of playing stupid games, and understand there are three offices of the Godhead. Like this little lady said. She said, 'To my husband I am a wife, to my children I am a mother, that's my office. To hundreds of third graders I am their teacher and have been down through the years. That's a different office; none of them the same, but I'm still the same person.' I like that. It's simple and to the point (The Shepherd's Chapel Question and Answer period, aired 6-4-91)."

Apparently, Murray has never read, or ignores, Matt. 3:16; 17; 28:19; 2 Cor 13:14, Matt. 12:31, 32; John 1:1-14; 8:16-18; 14:16, 17, 23; 15:26; 16:28; 17:1-5.

He also teaches the false doctrine of annihilationalism, that is, there's no eternal hell & that the wicked will simply be made to cease to exist. This is yet another heresy that conflicts directly with SCRIPTURE.

These are just SOME of the false doctrines taught by Murray. And here's something else - just try to find out where he got his "doctorate degree"! The man is just simply LYING about having a doctorate! Why would a CHRISTIAN lie about this? (or ANYTHING, for that matter!)

Yes, this "ministry" is a dangerous cult reaching millions of homes thru their TV sets. Fortunately, mosta the viewers see it for what it is! Be forewarned & forearmed if you ever choose to watch the "Shepherd's Chapel" prog on your TV!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The man has like a four hour block on TV every morning to brodcast his Shepherds Chapel. It's hard to pin him down in what he really believes.

Believes Eve & satan had a kid (cain) whos descendents r most people in Israel (Jews they call the kenites). Believes their church can see truths in bible most everybody else cant. Believes only the caucasians come from Adam & Eve. Believes they were in heaven battling satan when he fell & *born again* means born to *this life* from a womb. From that point it gets --intesting.... :coolsmiley:

• 11 years later...
  • Members

Pastor Murray teaches that the Antichris come first and if someone appears saying he is chris and you are still in a human body.  Then he a Fake.    If you all are so smart show me where the bible says we will be raptured away.  Think about it if that was true then what would the devil be coming back for? because all that were left would already be his. nancyshortridge@yahoo.com

• Members
57 minutes ago, nancy shortridge said:

Pastor Murray teaches that the Antichris come first and if someone appears saying he is chris and you are still in a human body.  Then he a Fake.    If you all are so smart show me where the bible says we will be raptured away.  Think about it if that was true then what would the devil be coming back for? because all that were left would already be his. nancyshortridge@yahoo.com

It's pretty clear in I Thessalonians 4 that there is a "rapture" the debate is when it will happen: before, during or after the great Tribulation.