• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

This is gonna make you mad....

• Administrators

Motebello High School In California...must have had some extra time on their hands. :verymad:

orangecounty1.jpg Look at the flag pole...

orangecounty3.jpg

orangecounty2.jpg

orangecounty4.jpg

I think it's time to start deporting some people...

I wonder - do they realize (I'm sure not!!) that the upside down US flag is a symbol of distress.

America, America.

• Members

Was the flag flown purposely upside down, to make a statement of some sort? If not, I don't understand why I should be mad about this. I suppose I'm too desensitized to the total lack of education about American ideals that our kids are getting today. Proper flag etiquette isn't even observed at any political rally for Presidential candidates of any party...Why should Montebello High School be any different?

• Administrators
Was the flag flown purposely upside down' date=' to make a statement of some sort? If not, I don't understand why I should be mad about this. I suppose I'm too desensitized to the total lack of education about American ideals that our kids are getting today. Proper flag etiquette isn't even observed at any political rally for Presidential candidates of any party...Why should Montebello High School be any different?[/quote']

Uh, well, yes - kids today aren't getting a true education. But that doesn't make what happens something that we should just shrug off. You know, if people don't start standing up and saying enough, it's going to all over for America. It may well be. But that doesn't mean we should just say, oh well - that's what's happening today... Why should you be mad? Disrespect to the flag of your country - nay, contempt - doesn't anger you? It does me. My son and many like him are willing to give his life for that flag. I'm sorry you don't understand why you should be mad!

Proper flag ettiquette isn't known by many. It's something we each should learn, if we don't already know it, and pass on.

• Members

They knew exactly what they were doing. No foreign nations flag is to fly above the American flag on American soil. They specifically hauled down the American flag, placed the Mexican flag on top and turned the American flag upside down to call attention to the fact that America is in distress and much of America will soon be a part of Mexico.

I've been in areas of this country where you see nothing but Mexican flags flying. Not an American flag in sight. There are areas in Arkansas, and elsewhere, where the influx of Mexicans have driven off most whites and blacks. I knew some people who worked in a Tyson's plant in Arkansas. Tyson's imported several bus loads of illegal Mexicans to that little Arkansas town and within a year it was a Mexican town. The illegal Mexicans threatened and intimidated the American workers out of the plant. The schools crumbled under the weight of such an influx of students.

There are several very well funded pro-Mexican groups which preach anti-Americanism, anti-white and sometimes anti-black (not to mention anti-Jewish) propaganda and they are pushing for the day when the American Southwest, which they like to call Aztlan, will be "reconquista(ed)".

To our shame, and a clear sign of the Judgement of God, many American politicians (both Dems and Repubs) help support these groups and have spoken before them.

Did anyone notice recently when Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, declared that all these illegal immigrants are the future of America and anyone who opposes them coming here and staying here are "unAmerican"?

• Members

This occurred at Montebello high school on Monday, March 27, 2006.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=49529

While police warn of $165 fines for any protesters, El Rancho officials have scheduled an after-school forum today where students will be "encouraged to air their concerns and opinions in a safe, structured, well-supervised environment."

A public school "well-supervised" isn't that an oxymoron?

• Members
Why should you be mad? Disrespect to the flag of your country - nay' date=' contempt - doesn't anger you? It does me. My son and many like him are willing to give his life for that flag. I'm sorry you don't understand why you should be mad![/quote']
I think you may have misunderstood me. I agree that it is appropriate to be angry with those who purposely disrespect our flag. (That's why I asked if this was intentional or not. John seems to think it is, but since I haven't read about the students' actions in context--didn't look at the link yet--I'm not sure that what these students did was not merely careless/unintentional. To me, it looked like they were having a "fiesta day" or "Mexican day," or something, in which it isn't too unlikely that, in emphasizing the theme, they mistakenly broke flag etiquette that they had never been taught in the first place. If this is true, I find it hard to be angry with them.) The fact is that most Americans, from the highest political offices to the average Joe on the street, are totally unaware of proper flag etiquette. I myself would probably fail a quiz on it, since it has been so long since I have last learned about it. I frequently see flags flown in the rain, at night with no lights, littering the floor after a political rally, packaged and thrown haphazardly into bins for sale, worn on people's shirts, draped over athletes, stuck on a toothpick inserted into a hamburger (and discarded afterward), placed on the wrong side of platforms, printed on boxer shorts, etc. Since this symbol of patriotism has become a mass-marketed commodity, is it any wonder that people have no idea of "flag etiquette?" I have a hard time being "angry" about this since I myself am lacking in this area. I don't own an American flag; if I did, maybe I'd take the time to look up how to treat one.

I am very grateful for the men and women who have given and are giving their lives for our country--not just "the flag," but in reality the American people and way of life. I don't mean at all to minimize their sacrifices; in fact, our family makes a point to go out of our way to thank any serviceman/woman we come across. The flag is a symbol--and only a symbol--of our country. That's why I do get angry when someone intentionally treats it with disrespect, but not so much when it is done out of ignorance. Considering the confusing messages we get from our culture, it's no surprise to me that people just don't know how to treat the flag. I myself am confused about it, especially when I see Presidents and servicemen and women treating it in ways that I was taught were inappropriate. I guess I've just thought the rules must have changed since I was a kid.

• Moderators

I understand what you are saying about ignorance of the Flag Code -- however, I do not know of a single country who allows another nation's flag to be given higher priority and honor than their own when flown over their soverign territory (hence the embassy and warships flying their national ensign preeminent to the host country's).

• Moderators
I understand what you are saying about ignorance of the Flag Code -- however' date=' I do not know of [b']any country who allows another nation's flag to be given higher priority and honor than their own when flown over their soverign territory (hence the embassy and warships flying their national ensign preeminent to the host country's).

• Members

Australians I don't think are as patriotic as Americans. There was uproar at an olympics when an Aboriginal did a victory lap with an Aboriginal flag rather than the Australian flag. I would not have a clue about flag ettiquette but agree it is only a symbol of a nation. The same right that allows you to fly the flag also allows you to burn or discard it does it not? Is that not democracy? I too am thankful for those who serve to protect our nation but I would hope they do it for the people and not the emblems /symbols that represent it. Like I said we do not have the same kind of patriotism as the Americans but we do love our country and all that it stands for.

Happy Christian I would like to know is patriotism more prevailent in people who are in or have family in the armed services or is it a cultural thing? Just curious.

Blossom

• Members
The same right that allows you to fly the flag also allows you to burn or discard it does it not? Is that not democracy?

Yes, it is, and you are right. Our servicemen/women fight for the freedom of speech, which does include the right to protest, including denigration of American symbols. (I think people who protest in this way are some of the most ungrateful in the world, though, considering the fact that their quality of life as an American is far above that of the majority of the world's population.) Intentional denigration of any symbol is an expression of contempt for what that symbol represents. (Think of someone spitting on a cross, for example.) If someone wants to publicly demonstrate hatred for a country, the most obvious thing for that person to do is to deface or destroy something which symbolizes that country. So, although you are right when you say that such behavior is protected by the U.S. Constitution, I would add that such behavior does indeed demonstrate contempt for that very same Constitution.

I too am thankful for those who serve to protect our nation but I would hope they do it for the people and not the emblems /symbols that represent it. Like I said we do not have the same kind of patriotism as the Americans but we do love our country and all that it stands for.

I am sure that different cultures express their patriotism differently...but I would venture to guess that anyone seen burning an Australian flag would be understood to be protesting, and would be expressing contempt for Australia.

I would like to know is patriotism more prevailent in people who are in or have family in the armed services or is it a cultural thing? Just curious.

Several men in my family have served in the armed forces. I don't think of our family as any more patriotic than others who do not have members in the service. There is definitely an "anti-American" culture in political power right now (Obama and company), but I don't think it has anything to do with family members in the service. It's more of an ideological divide.

• Members

No this does not make me mad these pictures and the thousands more like them make me sorrow. As a young man I enlisted in the Marine Corps because I believed America is the greatest nation on the earth and with all our woes I believe that truth still stands. But I sorrow for our future for we are becoming a third world country before our very eyes. Our education system is no longer the best education system in the world, our dollar can no longer hold its own against foreign currency, our politicians cannot be trusted to be honest and speak clearly, and as a nation we have recently proved that we can no longer stay the course of retribution for longer than 3 or 4 years.

I sorrow because we are a nation of illiterate adults and youth who can no longer reason beyond the food on our table and the most recent tv program. I sorrow because we have placed God in the wasteland of our hedonistic desires and having cast of God and the scriptures now expect the government to give us everything our heart desires. I sorrow for our nation and our people who are getting what we have desired a nation without God. I sorrow because most of our churches have quit preaching the word of God and begun offering a variety of entertainment in the accompaniment of a sermonette in which Jesus Christ may or may not be included.

I sorrow for my grandchildren and their children because I know a great America will not be there for them when they turn 50 and I secretly I wonder if we are the last generation to see the contrast between what we were and what we have become. I sorrow that people have turned a deaf ear to the gospel of Jesus Christ, I sorrow that much time is spent in debating the latest modern version instead of preaching the gospel of Christ, I sorrow that religion has become what ever I chose to believe served ala carte at the local corner church of heresy.

I sorrow most because I know that God is not mocked that as nation we will be turned into hell. I long to see great preachers like Dr. Rice, W.E Dowell and many others who preached salvation on Sunday Mornings and held 1 and 2 week revivals return to the landscape of America. I remember Curtis Hudson preaching 3 straight days on soul winning, on being bold, and having a plan to win people to Christ. I can still hear Doctor Rice preach on ?Men ought always to pray and not faint? never raise his voice but give illustration after illustration and see the altars filled with brothers and sisters begging God for the power of God in their lives. I can still hear Lester Roloff, Jack Hyles, Hyman Appleman, Oliver Green, Earl Little, and so many more. I am aware of some of the things that have been said and proven concerning some of these men none the less and for one reason or another their preaching seemed to be blessed by God in so many ways and I am thankful I had the opportunity to hear them preach.

Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men.

orvals :sad

• Members
No this does not make me mad these pictures and the thousands more like them make me sorrow. As a young man I enlisted in the Marine Corps because I believed America is the greatest nation on the earth and with all our woes I believe that truth still stands. But I sorrow for our future for we are becoming a third world country before our very eyes. Our education system is no longer the best education system in the world, our dollar can no longer hold its own against foreign currency, our politicians cannot be trusted to be honest and speak clearly, and as a nation we have recently proved that we can no longer stay the course of retribution for longer than 3 or 4 years.

I sorrow because we are a nation of illiterate adults and youth who can no longer reason beyond the food on our table and the most recent tv program. I sorrow because we have placed God in the wasteland of our hedonistic desires and having cast of God and the scriptures now expect the government to give us everything our heart desires. I sorrow for our nation and our people who are getting what we have desired a nation without God. I sorrow because most of our churches have quit preaching the word of God and begun offering a variety of entertainment in the accompaniment of a sermonette in which Jesus Christ may or may not be included.

I sorrow for my grandchildren and their children because I know a great America will not be there for them when they turn 50 and I secretly I wonder if we are the last generation to see the contrast between what we were and what we have become. I sorrow that people have turned a deaf ear to the gospel of Jesus Christ, I sorrow that much time is spent in debating the latest modern version instead of preaching the gospel of Christ, I sorrow that religion has become what ever I chose to believe served ala carte at the local corner church of heresy.

I sorrow most because I know that God is not mocked that as nation we will be turned into hell. I long to see great preachers like Dr. Rice, W.E Dowell and many others who preached salvation on Sunday Mornings and held 1 and 2 week revivals return to the landscape of America. I remember Curtis Hudson preaching 3 straight days on soul winning, on being bold, and having a plan to win people to Christ. I can still hear Doctor Rice preach on ?Men ought always to pray and not faint? never raise his voice but give illustration after illustration and see the altars filled with brothers and sisters begging God for the power of God in their lives. I can still hear Lester Roloff, Jack Hyles, Hyman Appleman, Oliver Green, Earl Little, and so many more. I am aware of some of the things that have been said and proven concerning some of these men none the less and for one reason or another their preaching seemed to be blessed by God in so many ways and I am thankful I had the opportunity to hear them preach.

Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men.

orvals :sad

For me, in the middle of the ocean, we saw each other as brothers. Every day for weeks at sea you become a little numb to individuality. We became part of the machine that propelled us through the water, no longer independent parts.

Mail and pictures meant so much to us; helping us to remember what the U.S. we served looked like. Its funny how even images of familiar things can fade, and fade quickly. Even when mail call was sometimes weeks delayed, we had one thing to pull everything into perspective; the flag of The United States of America.

The flag of The United States of America became our memory of home. The flag became our image of freedom to worship God. The flag became the image of our beaches, plains, rivers, mountains, deserts, and forests. The flag became our mother, father, wife, children, bothers, sisters, and friends. We fought for the flag of The United States of America.

Have you ever heard the phrase, ?Never let the flag touch the ground?? Apart from being codified law in the United States, it has been our military mantra for all of my military life.

Men have died and fallen in battle while carrying the flag and there was always another to pick it up and press forward in battle.

To see it disrespected so blatantly and others dismiss it so casually, saddens and angers me. Do you really want to see our soldiers, sailors, and airmen loose their image of what they defend and become disheartened in the face of preparing to sacrifice their lives for your freedom?

Take time when you, thank that soldier for his service, and ask him what he thinks of the flag of the United States. If they have time to tell you, you should take time to listen, and thank him you have the freedom to be late to your destination.

Orvals,
First, I would like to thank you as a brother in the Lord for comments above. Second, as a military brother, I would like to ask you what the flag of The United States of America means to you?