• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Culottes are Men's Clothing

• Members

Even option A was "in style" at one point in time - just not this one. :eek It is not wrong to purposely dress like that but it is not "more spiritual" either to dress like that in opposition to today's styles. There are plenty of modest modern styles. Most husbands don't want their wife to look like something the cat dragged in - at least mine doesn't. Plainness and drabness do not equal spirituality. If they did then nuns and Amish women are the most spiritual people on the planet.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think the blue dress looks nice.

I'm not one to say everyone should dress like 1800s or anything. I just like the looks of that dress.

That's not to say I don't like modern dresses either.

To me, it doesn't matter whether the dress is "old fashioned" or "modern" or "in style" or whatever, if it looks nice, it looks nice regardless of what category it falls into.

• Members
2103_40342_mm.jpg?wid=230&hei=331&qlt=95

This is in fashion. How is it immodest?

Anything you put on today is fashion. It is either old-fashioned, retro, or current. Current fashion does not make it sin.

Now, you may say that the skirt is a "bit too short" but would that not be a preference? Should you not add "for my taste/conviction" there?

There are 2 ways of wearing that dress. One is with a modest demeanor/bearing. The other is with a carelessness. Which one truly makes the dress immodest? It is the behaviour.

There are current styles that are overtly immodest. There are others that are not.
I think the zebra print jacket says enough. :lol:

• Members
Now, you may say that the skirt is a "bit too short" but would that not be a preference? Should you not add "for my taste/conviction" there?

The Bible teaches that our thighs are to be covered. When she is standing, they are - but what about when she sits? When the garment is as high as it can go to start with, I don't think immodesty is too far off.

Looks like the top part of the dress is not loose and flowing. If the jacket is form-fitting, then the dress is even more so.

• Members

Someone ask, is this modest. What is your preference, we should think about God's preference, not our preference.

I don't see how God would say that the woman in the blue dress is dressed modest, she shows the complete outline of her body.

We ought to think about other peoples preference, what will offend them, what will make the stumble, and we should avoid wearing and or doing anything that will make them stumble. Those who will not, put I first, without a thought for others, which is not the way the child of God ought to think.

Just because we have the perfect right to do something, that is not a good reason to do it. Read these verses, take them to heart.

1 We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.
2 Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification.
3 For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me.
4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
5 Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:
6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 15:1-6 (KJV)

1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
18 For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.
19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Romans 14:1-23

Put others before yourself, if your all about pleasing I, them you are not being Christ like. That is the way several of you are being. That is, I'm going to do what I please, I have ever right to please myself, but do you? Think about the price that was paid for you of your Christ's brother.

Seems some don't care the effect they have on others, just pleasing self.

How many of us are really submitting fully to Christ?

• Members

No one is talking about frumpy or ugly clothing - but if you want to have Biblical standards for women's clothing, that means not form fitting, but loose and flowing. That comes from the phrase "modest apparel." The Greek word for apparel is the one that means loose and flowing. Vine's is one lexicon that defines that word as such - I am not sure what other dictionaries or lexicons do though.

I don't care for the blue dress with the little zebra striped jacket.

I don't care for it either. So what right. :lol: For some reason it says "victoria osteen" to me. :loco Since we are discussing clothing we don't care for, I will add another. Ladies suits. They seem to be getting popular in some IFB circles but to me they say "bossy lady" more than anything else. That is just my :2cents though.

• Members

I don't care for it either. So what right. :lol: For some reason it says "victoria osteen" to me. :loco Since we are discussing clothing we don't care for, I will add another. Ladies suits. They seem to be getting popular in some IFB circles but to me they say "bossy lady" more than anything else. That is just my :2cents though.

I agree, women who wear those suit things look as if they want to be the Boss.

• Members
No one is talking about frumpy or ugly clothing - but if you want to have Biblical standards for women's clothing' date=' that means not form fitting, but loose and flowing. That comes from the phrase "modest apparel." The Greek word for apparel is the one that means loose and flowing. Vine's is one lexicon that defines that word as such - I am not sure what other dictionaries or lexicons do though.[/quote']

The dress I posted is not form-fitting. The jacket is not either. What it seems to boil down to with some of you is color choice and fabric patterns.

Hmmmm...I guess my polka dot dress is out of the question for you all, even though it isn't form-fitting and it is well below the knee.

Now, one of you brought up the covering of the thigh. That dress is not going to ride up past the knees when a woman is seated.

It seems that much of what is being brought up here is personal taste as opposed to true modesty issues. I knew that when I posted that dress, there would be ways for you to find fault. I personally see nothing wrong with it and I am an uber-modest person.