• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Culottes are Men's Clothing

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Seems we pick and choose what parts of the Bible we want to follow?. Given in to itching ears?

I always understood that woman aren't to wear what a man wore. Men wore "crotched" garments and women did not. So are we supposed to buck the Bible and wear that which pertaineth to the man?

If I want to obey the spirit of the verse then I'll buy a NIV (Non Inspired Version).

No way man, KJV and literal interpretation all the way.

No disrespect or crudeness intended but underwear is a "crotched" garment. I sincerely hope you don't forbid your wife from wearing..... Also, I'm kinda confused as to where the KJV's literal interpretation speaks against "crotched" garments. :huh:

• Members

talking about fashion......

How is it wrong to be fashionable? Even if one does only wear dresses or skirts, what is wrong w/ those being fashionable? Is it wrong to look nice and well kept? It doesn't make us "more holy" to walk around looking as though we all left the Salvation Army thrift store!

• Members

No disrespect or crudeness intended but underwear is a "crotched" garment. I sincerely hope you don't forbid your wife from wearing..... Also, I'm kinda confused as to where the KJV's literal interpretation speaks against "crotched" garments. :huh:

Good point sister! :amen:

Weren't "breeches" undergarments? Weren't priests the only ones who were supposed to wear "breeches" (made of linen) to cover up their nakedness and to keep their priestly garments from being spotted (Exodus 28)?

• Members

Fashion is not sinful as long as its modest.

Some of it is stupid though.

The most recent thing I can think of that bugs me is those girls shoes that look just like house slippers. I can't STAND those! :bonK:

• Members
What's wrong with clothes from the SA Thrift store? My wife happens to get a lot of her stuff there and looks quite good it the nice clothes she gets. It's called being a good steward. Unless of course your nose may be a little to high in the air.

I worked at a SA Thrift store years ago---bought myself a camel hair winter coat for $1.00. It lasted for years until it finally fell apart and became unrepairable/unmendable. I loved that coat! You can pick up some nice clothes from those thrift stores. Unfortunately, there's not one close to where I live now.

• Members

I like fashion, there's nothing wrong with it as long as it doesn't become too important to you, like anything else.
If I had to choose between two:

Option A:
blacktenceljumper.jpg

and
Option B:
C279_softliving_1580779_500.jpg
Option B is definitely going to win.
I don't know about the rest of you guys but I definitely prefer a fashionably dressed girl. :wink

• Members

I side with a fellow poster who has state that he doesn't know when undergarments came into vogue. I can't speak for undergarments. I believe that the verse below is referring more so to the outward appearance. We don't wear our underwear on the outside do we? Wait Madonna DOH :duh nevermind........

1 Timothy 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

I believe that according to the above stated verse that women should be dressed modestly, with shamefacedness and and soberly. Further I believe that women draw attention to their "sexual zones" when they wear pants culottes et cetera.

Does the bible specifically speak against crotched garments? No. Again I refer to the passage found in Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God. If I understand correctly a man wore underneath his robe "breeches" or pants if you will. When the man "gird" up his loins he pulled his robe up and into his "breaches". Woman on the other hand had no "breaches" they wore a long loose fitting robe. Not only all that. But, consider the word abomination

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
a

• Members

I'm just glad most baptist guys don't want to wear skirts and dresses I think we can agree that wouldn't be right, right.

Now whats the difference between a man wanting to wear wemons clothes, and a women wanting to dress in mens clothes, For sake of arguement pants were made for men first womens lib is what got women wearing pants for the most part, no I'm not saying they never did before womens lib came up, but that bra burning thing kinda got it rolling pretty hard, I really care more about modesty than anything, except at church I firmly believe in being respectfull to God and HIs House so whereing pants for a woman at church to me disrespectfull, men bluejeans t-shirt disrespectfull. Just my :2cents take it or leave it. :Green

• Members

[bible][/bible]

I'm just glad most baptist guys don't want to wear skirts and dresses I think we can agree that wouldn't be right, right.

Now whats the difference between a man wanting to wear wemons clothes, and a women wanting to dress in mens clothes, For sake of arguement pants were made for men first womens lib is what got women wearing pants for the most part, no I'm not saying they never did before womens lib came up, but that bra burning thing kinda got it rolling pretty hard, I really care more about modesty than anything, except at church I firmly believe in being respectfull to God and HIs House so whereing pants for a woman at church to me disrespectfull, men bluejeans t-shirt disrespectfull. Just my :2cents take it or leave it. :Green

I agree that the way we dress reflects our attitudes about the Lord, but aren't we supposed to live our entire life in obedience to God, not just on Sunday and Wednesday?

[bible]John 4:23, 24[/bible]
[bible]1 Chronicles 16:29[/bible]
[bible]Leviticus 7:12[/bible]
[bible]Deuteronomy 8:19[/bible]
[bible]Revelation 4:11[/bible]

We women are taught all the way back in [bible]Genesis 38:14, 15[/bible] , not to dress ourselves like a harlot (not to entice men to sin), and when we allow the fashion magazines to tell us to "look hot" or wear this season's "hottest fashions" - that is exactly what we do. As Christians, we are specificially taught not to dress "suggestively" or "provocatively" in [bible]Galatians 5:19[/bible]- that is what "lasciviousness" means. When a man thinks of us with a sexual response, then we have caused that man to have an adulterous thought - we put sin in his heart. Some men are that way anyways - but I am not talking about those. I am talking about our Christian bretheren who sin because we refuse to dress as Christian women ought to dress and are bound and determined to wear what is "hot" instead of what is Godly.

Pants and jeans do exactly that - and I do not have to post any pictures for you to know exactly what I mean.

A dress or skirt can also be improper to wear as well if it is too revealing and immodest, so it is important to be selective about what dress to wear. It is not so much about which body parts are okay to expose and which are not, as much as it is about being modest and humble in all that you do, including what you wear. Dresses with slits in them need to have a kick pleat added, so that they are modest. That is my biggest beef with most of the straight Denim skirts - if you sew the slit closed you can't walk in them. The only solution is to take another piece of denim and sew them into the slit to make a pleat or gusset so that you can walk with out exposing your legs. If you aren't a seamstress, then it is better to go with a denim skirt or dress that has a fuller cut like a a-line or gathered skirt.

Consider this - you wear your dresses as a means of respect to the Lord at church. What if the Second Coming doesn't happen on a Sunday or a Wednesday? How will you be dressed on the very day the Lord appears in person? I firmly believe that these our the Last Days spoken of in the Bible and that He is Coming Soon - I want to be ready for that wonderful day, don't you?

[bible]1 Thessalonians 4:16, 17[/bible]
[bible]2 Timothy 3:1,2,3,4[/bible]
[bible]Romans 13:12[/bible]
[bible]I Corinthians 15:52[/bible]
[bible]Isaiah 26:3[/bible]