• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

We have hit a snag

• Members

The baby is officially a toddler now in her behaviour. So, when we start school, our "little pet" cannot understand why the siblings aren't playing with her. We have plenty for her to do, but she wants THEM. :cool So, she fusses and complains all morning while we are doing school.

I need some seasoned homeschool tips or tricks to help her. My son requires my full attention until he is done, which is about 2 1/2 hours. The girls could take turns with the baby, but they won't get done what they need to, unless I can somehow rearrange their schedule and still get their schooling done.

• Members

tie the toddler to a chair and put him in a room nobody can hear him/her :ooops

Just kidding.

We have used the Abeka DVD program for that very reason. Instead of my wife having to give her undivided attention to each child, she now just monitors them. This allows her to do other things around the house.

• Members
tie the toddler to a chair and put him in a room nobody can hear him/her :ooops

Just kidding.

We have used the Abeka DVD program for that very reason. Instead of my wife having to give her undivided attention to each child, she now just monitors them. This allows her to do other things around the house.

You mean something like this?

duct-tape-baby.jpg

• Members

You mean something like this?

duct-tape-baby.jpg

Well, hey, that works, too. :lol: I had a hex shaped plastic enclosure that I used for my toddlers when I was homeschooling older kids (at the time couldn't afford DVD), I would have the oldest occupy the toddler if needed be by doing some of her reading to her or sitting in the pen with her (it had no floor) and studying her spelling words while I tried to get through the majority of the instruction with the youngest schooled child. Then I could have that child work somewhat independently near me while I occupied the toddler on my lap if need be (sometimes he'd actually play and be good!! I also would only let him play with certain toys during school so that he wasn't bored with them from playing with them all the rest of the day) Then, once the youngest was done, he could play with baby and we could get quite a bit accomplished with the older ones before lunch. And finish up the rest after lunch (and praise the Lord, the baby had nap time!!) This was back when I was homeschooling 4 kiddos (3 grades) with a toddler and I was pregnant. Fun. Not a lot of easy solutions, I'm afraid..........I did a lot of praying! :pray

• Members

Since the time mine were babies, I trained them to play alone for short periods of time, and then increased the time as the kids grew. All of mine have been able to play alone for an hour in a bedroom (with no gate or supervision) by the time they were about 18 months old. My current two year old has "roomtime" for about an hour every morning while I homeschool his older siblings.

Even though you didn't start as early as I did, I still think you could train your toddler to stay in her room (or a play area). If you didn't want to mess with the training, you could put a gate up, if you have one.

I have three in school, which takes an hour or two in the morning, as well as some time in the afternoon. (I leave some subjects until afternoon, so I can instruct them during the younger two kids' naptimes.) My two year old alternates between "roomtime" and playtime with his three year old sister. We have a system that works for us, but it wouldn't work for everyone.

Hope you can figure out what to do!

• Members

We also put effort into training the kids to be content playing by themselves for a time. Sometimes this required letting them play where they could still see us and be within a few feet of us.

Depending upon the child, sometimes they can be given something to do nearby that seems as if they are "doing school" with their siblings to.

Of course, much of it depends upon the age of the child, their communication level and their level of understanding.

Sometimes one just has to rough it through a bit of adjustment that could take from a few days to a few months to get settled.

The main thing is, we don't "have to" keep a strict schedual and we can rearrange how our "schooling" day goes forth and gets done when necessary.

Our own homeschooling has changed over the years as the kids have grown older, we have looked at different methods, and we have adapted and adopted what works best and dropped other aspects.

Right now our oldest son is on a pretty set system but our youngest is on a much more flexible system.

• Members
We also put effort into training the kids to be content playing by themselves for a time. Sometimes this required letting them play where they could still see us and be within a few feet of us.

Depending upon the child, sometimes they can be given something to do nearby that seems as if they are "doing school" with their siblings to.

Of course, much of it depends upon the age of the child, their communication level and their level of understanding.

Sometimes one just has to rough it through a bit of adjustment that could take from a few days to a few months to get settled.

The main thing is, we don't "have to" keep a strict schedual and we can rearrange how our "schooling" day goes forth and gets done when necessary.

Our own homeschooling has changed over the years as the kids have grown older, we have looked at different methods, and we have adapted and adopted what works best and dropped other aspects.

Right now our oldest son is on a pretty set system but our youngest is on a much more flexible system.

Up until this week, she had been quite content playing alone. I don't know. Mayhap it is due to the teeth coming in. Maybe when this is over, she will go back to her happy little self. Or ornery little self as the case may be. :bonK:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

LOL, been there done that once, and am getting there again!!

If I can remember correctly, the first time around, I would do school w/ the kids on the lowest level of the house ( we have a multi level house), so stairs wouldn't be a problem. I spread out a blanket on the floor and slowly SLOWLY trained the toddler at the time to stay on the blanket and play. I got about an hour out of this, which was plenty of time for our "morning" stuff. We would finish the rest during naptime.
When the kids hit about 2 1/2, the seem to want to "do school" with the older ones. I would have workbooks and coloring sheets to keep them busy. I also have a basket of "school toys". THey consist of toys like lacing cards, etc, that are quiet, not a lot of pieces, and serve somesort of purpose.
Our schedule is a little bit of a mess right now b/c naptime for the baby has changed. She used to get up really early, around 6 b/c she would hear daddy getting ready for work.She would be ready for a nap around 9, so we would do our morning subjects while she napped. This worked like a dream! My 3 yr old would "do school" or play w/ the school toys quietly and we flew through the morning stuff. She would wake up around 11 or so and we would break for lunch and then it was nap time for for the middle kids. My oldest would do the subjects that she could do alone and I would tend the baby. Well, dreams never last, do they? LOL My husband deployed, so the baby is sleeping until 8 and now naps after lunch. I am still trying to work out the kinks, but we are trying to train her to play by herself, but she is a SUPER clingy baby!! My plan is to do the blanket thing for her when she gets just a little older. At only 11 months, it is hard to get her to cooperate! LOL

Good luck!! Schooling w/ little ones can be quiet the challenge!!! Just remember that one of the benefits of homeschooling is being able to be flexable. If school doesn't get done until nap time, the world won't come to an end! LOL