• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is This Important?

• Members

One thing that really bugs me (only one, you ask??? :lol ) is when movie producers take a classic story and change the plot in order to make it "movie-worthy".

Well, one of my favorite authors is Bodie Thoene. She has a great talent and writes wonderful historical fiction. Her most recent series is called the A.D. Chronicles in which she takes Biblical and historical facts and weaves novels, using her imagination of the everyday lives of the characters to fill in the story.

I just finished reading the 5th book in the series which ends with the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem. I have not yet read books 6-8.

Yesterday, I saw an excerpt from book 9 which she is currently writing. From that excerpt, I can tell that she has Joseph keeping Mary a virgin, even after Jesus' birth. He continues to be her "protector" but never consummates the marriage.

Sooooo, I emailed her. :bonk:

Her reply - "what a weird question." And then she went on to say that stuff like this is what divides the Body of Christ and that it isn't important. And furthermore, the church fathers and Zwingli and Calvin and Wesley among others believed in the perpetual virginity of Mary and that it was only the unbelievers who didn't believe in the perpetual virginity of Mary.

I was like, "HUH?" Obviously Mark 6:3 means nothing to her. When imagining the every day life of someone, why would you leave out something as defining as having at least 6 other siblings?

I wrote her back, explaining that we should base our beliefs on the BIBLE, not the writings of the church fathers and also showed her the N.T. verses that plainly show that Jesus had siblings.

I know she is sympathetic to Catholics and has Catholic friends but still... this is bugging me.

• Administrators

I think it is important, because her books are so widely read and people take a lot of what she and her hubby write to heart. I enjoyed their series based in Ireland best of all they wrote.

She is blatantly ignoring scripture, when it says Joseph didn't know her until after Christ was born...thus negating any possibility (even if they had no children) of her remaining a virgin. I think it's a shame that she has done this!!

• Members

In her AD Chronicles she has brought in some pretty serious dabbling in gematria/kabbalism.

In one series she did about Ireland in the 19th century, she presented a lot of religious junk from the Catholics in that area. At the end of the book she has Discussion Questions, and in it she talks about unity with the Catholics. I read that and thought, here she is presenting them as horribly confused and following after myths, then she promotes being united with them.

From the way she has been gradually bringing in more and more Catholicism, Catholics as good characters, etc. I truly started to get the impression that she actually is a Catholic and was writing her novels to bridge the gap. It took a while, but in her books now, Catholics, Protestants, and Jews are all joined together, all equally saved.

• Members

I just received her reply...

The Greek word used for brothers can also be cousins or kinfolk. I am, and always have been, personally uncertain that Mary and Joseph consummated their marriage after the birth of God's only son. The early church father's did not believe so. The Protestant reformers believed she remained a virgin. I tremble to think I could be so arrogant to presume and get something so personal about the mother of my Savior, WRONG.
Therefore, because I do not want to risk getting it wrong and offending Mary and her son Jesus when no one in this generation can ever really be certain...even though Jessica IS certain...I will never speculate or write about it. I am in good company with the church leaders both Reform Protestant and Catholic.
I am sorry, but in this matter the views Wesley and Augustine and Origen beat Jessica as my teachers and authorities. I say to you who feel so passionately about this..."Whatever."
Such is life.
I have so many questions to ask Mary when I get to heaven and I don't think that one will be on my list.

There are 900+ mainline denominations of Protestants all who split the body of Christ over issues like this. Jesus said, "You strain at a knat and swallow a camel." What brand of protestant are you? Maybe I don't want to know. You revealed you are indeed a true Catholic basher, however, and that flash of Protestant arrogance is deeply offensive to my spirit.
I am a Charismatic Christian who believes that prophets speak even today. The Holy Spirit is calling for unity between all Christians. Otherwise the army is divided and we will be defeated. (Perhaps you disagree with that too.) The call to unity within the body of Christ precludes this sort of dogmatic pitbull 'I'm right' sort of argument over stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with salvation.
Calvin, Wesley and Zwingly think you are wrong.
If you have it in your head that your way is the only way it can be, and for some reason it matters that you are right, Let's agree to disagree.

TO SUM UP: I just really am not sure about the issue of Mary's perpetual virginity and will remain on the safe side with 2,000 years of church history including the Protestant reformers.

Hahaha. I wonder what she would say if I told her I am neither Protestant nor Catholic? I have a feeling I already know... :roll

So she is a Charismatic Christian. I suspected that already. She does have great talent but I admit in being disappointed in her work this time around.

• Members

All 3 of her emails have had that tone...

I was put off by that as well. Not a great way to treat a fan...

I can go to many, many Christians I know and ask a question about why they believe what they believe and they will try their best to answer from the Scripture. It is a shame I didn't get the same response from her.

• Members

I think its important because this is part of the reason the catholics and I'm sure others use to worship and pray to mary, she was just a woman and a married woman at that if after haveing Jesus she was not with her husand would she not have been out of the will of God. I mean that is one of the reasons God made marriage.

• Members

I have not read any of this woman's books, so I don't know anything about them. But, from what I have read here, it is clear that this woman needs to read her New Testament again, this time taking it for what it so plainly says: that our Lord had at least 4 half brothers and 2 half sisters. Far too many people try to read stuff into what the Bible plainly says to fit their own agenda. This woman is definitely a Charismatic Catholic and a Mary worshipper.
My DH and I have an extensive religious library, and that includes a Catholic Bible, that is used once in a great while to cross reference a verse or to look up a verse for situations like this one. Even the Catholic Bible, in Mark 6:3, says, Is this not the carpenter, the son of Mary, a brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? Are not his sisters our neighbors here? Matthew 13:55-56 in the Catholic Bible says: Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't Mary known to be his mother and James, Joseph, Simon and Judas his brothers? Aren't his sisters our neighbors? Now, I really don't think that Mary and Joseph picked all those children up at the corner grocery store.
Many people are deceived about a great many things these days and it won't get any better, sad to say. I hope this woman can be persuaded to see her error soon. CJP56.

• Administrators

Whoa!! I will not be reading any more of their books (I say their because she and her husband usually write together)!!!

She doesn't want to offend Mary????? Sounds to me like she's really linked up with Catholicism.

Jerry - I had noticed that about the AD Chronicles, and was uncomfortable continuing to read them.

It's sad, because they do reach a wide audience. Man - "charismatic" - except to Jessica!!!! :lol:

• Members
You can't be ecumenical - like she has become (or maybe was at the start) - without disregarding the doctrine that differs.

:goodpost: Very true, Jerry. :thumb

Jess,

I am so glad you did this research and took the time to "bring her out into the open", so to speak.

I suspect that financial success made her nose turn upward. She better hope she never gets caught in a rainstorm--- she'd drown. :roll Now she feels she can disdain other Christians who do not agree with her. She certainly showed her lack of Godly lovingkindness. :sad