• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Judgement

• Members

John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Matthew 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. (with the previous verse stating "judge not that ye be not judged)

Paul judged

1 Corinthians 7:25 Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give my judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful.
1 Corinthians 7:40 But she is happier if she so abide, after my judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.

we are told that we will know them by their fruits...we judge, but we must be careful in so doing because things are not always what they appear to be on the outside (hence John 7:24)

So yes, we are to judge. We honestly cannot help it in our daily life. We make judgments about people we want to hang around with, what we will listen to, whether what the news is reporting is accurate...etc.

• Members

Not at all - we are commanded many times to make judgments in the Word of God.

1 Corinthians 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

The word "discernment" is mental judgment, being able to distinguish between things spiritually. The Bible also commands us to judge fruit, judge doctrine, judge actions - though we are forbidden in judging motives. We are commanded to judge righteously and Scripturally, but commanded not to judge hypocritically (Matthew 7:1-6) and harshly, without mercy. I have verses for any of these that you would like.

John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

P.S. One of the books of the Bible is JUDGES - those were people chosen of God to judge His people, and bring judgment on their enemies. God used Moses and the Levites to also judge the causes of the people.

• Members

I asked this because I read this: [bible]Romans 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.[/bible] Along with Matthew 7:1. I was confronted for making a judgment at church and was wondering if these verses prove judging is wrong. Though I know its IMPOSSIBLE not to judge I don't understand what these are saying. (You can't not judge cause if someone is judging and you tell them they are judging your judging :lol:)

• Members
Ok... I'm confused... :huh: So' date=' what kind of judging is wrong? :huh:[/quote']

Judging someone as in condemning them, is wrong.

Judging someone as in discerning whether something is right or wrong, is ok, as long as you follow the principles set up in Matt 7

• Members
Judging Motives= Discernment

Judging Actions- Comparing

:puzzled: Where do you get that? We are forbidden from judging motives - we are taught to be discerning (which means to mentally make a difference between things - whether judging behaviour, doctrine, etc.).

• Members

I would highly, highly, highly recommend looking up a series on Judgment by Erwin Lutzer on "YouTube." It's a 6 part video series that speaks about hypocritical judgment, as well as judgment regarding doctrine and false teachers.

We are not to judge each other in a way that is damning or hypocritical. For example, if I tell you that you're fake and going to Hell because you went to a football game; I'm judging you with very strict standards and will be judged in the same way I judged you. (Matthew 7:1) Romans 2 talks about those who judge others, yet do the same things that they do. Paul ensures us that we will not escape God's judgment when we do that.

However, read further into Matthew 7. "Judge not, lest ye be judged." Then Jesus goes on to tell us to do things that REQUIRE judgment. Watch out for false prophets, for example. In order to see somebody as a false prophet, it requires proper judgment.

• Members

:puzzled: Where do you get that? We are forbidden from judging motives - we are taught to be discerning (which means to mentally make a difference between things - whether judging behaviour, doctrine, etc.).

You don't think that we should be able to discern someone's motives?

Jerry, you are the best, most smartest, most profound, good looking, humorous user on this forum......

you KNOW when you hear a kid saying something like that....that there is a MOTIVE to why they said it......

• Members
You don't think that we should be able to discern someone's motives?

I didn't say you couldn't figure out that someone has bad motives at times - however, we do not know their heart, and for the most part we really don't KNOW their motives - we can only guess at then, and many times we will be wrong.

But regardless of yours or my opinion, God's Word forbids of from judging their motives.

1 Corinthians 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

Unfortunately this is the only verse I can think of right now. When I get home, I will see if I can find more verses on this theme - or perhaps others might have some too.

There are many verses that teach that God is the only one that knows our hearts.

• Members

I didn't say you couldn't figure out that someone has bad motives at times - however, we do not know their heart, and for the most part we really don't KNOW their motives - we can only guess at then, and many times we will be wrong.

But regardless of yours or my opinion, God's Word forbids of from judging their motives.

1 Corinthians 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

Unfortunately this is the only verse I can think of right now. When I get home, I will see if I can find more verses on this theme - or perhaps others might have some too.

There are many verses that teach that God is the only one that knows our hearts.

What is Righteous Judgment? I believe it was Paul who "judged" the motive of that guy who wanted to buy the power of the Holy Spirit.....

• Members
If you are referring to Simon the Sorceror' date=' that was Peter that dealt with him - through the Holy Spirit. We are not apostles.[/quote']

yeah...it was Peter.....thank you....

Nope. we are not the apostles. Do we also limit Matt 28:18-20, Acts 1:8 etc?

Do we also exclude "take up thy cross and follow me"?

I mean, we aren't the apostles.....

:hide