• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

i worked for abeka in school and the reason why they teach cursive is because children learn how to write the other way when they read. as you read, you learn the shape of the letters. it's been proven. i read about it in a pamplet they give parents. we had to read it so we could answer that question whenever parents asked why cursive? i don't remember all of it, but that was the main reason. apparently it is easier to write cursive at that young age as well, so they start with something that is easier for their motor skills, since motor skills aren't that great then. and that makes since to me, especially since i am a nurse and i understand about the motor skills part.

abeka is the best thing to use until you get to high school, then i might go with someone else for homeschooling.

• Members

Beka Horton is wrong in this. Children learn how to print by being taught. As previously stated, my wife taught at PCA during this transition and none of the teachers were in agreement with this. They just didn't have a voice. We have found that most teachers prefer to teach the manuscript form first and then the cursive. Children must learn how to do both. I believe that many Chrisitan schools have also decided to continue to teach manuscript in K and 1st grade.

• Administrators
We have found that most teachers prefer to teach the manuscript form first and then the cursive.

I certainly did prefer it! Children that young don't know how to form letters properly, let alone how to link them in cursive. I taught in a classroom that had k-5 through 3rd grade. So, the second grade began to learn cursive toward the end of the year, and the third grade learned it at the beginning. Some of the kids who weren't learning it tried it because they heard what was being taught. And they obviously were not ready for it. If someone wants to teach their kids cursive first, more power to 'em. I just personally think it's backward.

• Members

I agree with both sides of the issue. My girls were taught manuscript in K and then they were taught cursive when I put them in Christian school in 2nd grade year. It was a hard switch for them and their handwriting showed it. When my other kids started out in cursive their handwriting was better, neater, much much earlier. My biggest gripe: kids who are not taught manuscript formally tend to do some weird things with their printing later. With our next kid (he starts K-5 next fall), I am seriously thinking about teaching them simultaneously--I will focus on cursive and cursive practice, but would like to teach proper formation of the manuscript--"our reading letters". I'm hoping this helps more. I thought the concept of teaching cursive so young was really crazy, especially with respect to coordination issues, but my 3 boys did fine and have nice penmanship... and 2 of them are lefties.

I sure do understand what you mean about the frustrations of the DVD program when you already HAVE some of the books from previous non-DVD work!