• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

With regard to "this generation", I recall in the 80s preachers were proclaiming that a generation in the Bible was 40 years and that meant the Rapture would take place no later than 1988 (40 years after Israel became a nation again).

With regards to how close to the end we might be; I recently read something interesting about how there are now something like 50 million Muslims in Europe and how within short order they will control Europe. If Europe is to be a major power factor of the end times/Tribulation period, it was speculated that either something would likely have to occur in Europe soon to repel the Muslim threat or that the Rapture would have to come within a decade or two because within about 20 years or less Muslims will dominate Europe. Just more food for thought I suppose.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There is nowhere in the Bible where there is a standard age for a generation. 40 years was a generation during the wilderness wanderings - perhaps 1-200 years before the flood. But that is the time between generations anyway - for one whole generation to pass away that is referring to the lifetime of a particular generation (not the time till the next generation).

Guest Guest

Here are some verses why I think it may be speaking of the church age. Not dogmatic on this, just consider it a strong possibility.

"Psalm 22:30 A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation."

"1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:"

• Members

Anyone alive at the time in 1948 is part of that generation. A baby born that year is/will be 60 years old this year. It isn't uncommon these days to hear of 100 year old folks. I believe that generation will not completely pass before the end comes. Even if there is only one person left, they are still representative of that generation. Like Jerry said, it is SOON!!!

• Members

Considering that the context of that verse is dealing with events within the tribulation itself, it is not referring to the church in any way (ie. it IS speaking of Israelites, and the church will be raptured out before then). It is saying there will be some Jews that saw Israel come together as a nation that will also get to see the Antichrist rule the world.

Guest Guest

Well, Lord willing, I will live to see if you are correct on this Jerry. If so, amen even so come Lord Jesus, if not, this theory will just have to join the book "10 reasons Jesus is coming in 1989". :wink

• Members
There is nowhere in the Bible where there is a standard age for a generation. 40 years was a generation during the wilderness wanderings - perhaps 1-200 years before the flood. But that is the time between generations anyway - for one whole generation to pass away that is referring to the lifetime of a particular generation (not the time till the next generation).

Agreed, I realize this. I was just pointing out the fasle reasoning some date setters were using for why the Rapture had to take place by 1988.

When 1988 came and went these date setters simply changed their calculations and their thoughts on what "a generation" means. Amazing how many people keep right on following and believing these date setters even though they are proven wrong time and time again.

• Members

those that speculate had better watch out and for us to say it will be soon is silly b/c even Jesus knows not the hour. For all we know, Isreal may cease to be a nation is the next few years and in 100 years they will be laughing at us and our speculations. I don't think enough of the world is wicked enough yet, I guess I live a sheltered life. I prefer to trust the Lord for my future and not worry for the morrow and just to lay up heavenly treasure.

• Members

I absolutely agree no one can know the time.

The world is pretty wicked, whether it's reached "that point" yet or not, I can't say.

When I look about the world I see billions into false religions; people marrying animals, folks in India gathering to marry two cows in some 'holy' ceremony; pagan religions on the rise in Europe, Africa and America; Islam spreading across Europe and even growing in America; a horrible amount of murders, rapes and abductions occuring daily right here in America; a callous disregard for human life; etc.

It's possible, since none of us knows God's timing, that wickedness will abound even more before we really reach the near end.

Of course, there are also some who believe there will be somewhat of a revival or awakening prior to the Rapture.

We know that when the time for the Rapture does arrive things here on earth will be just as in the days of Noah with folks going about their normal routines as if there isn't a care in the world. That would seem to suggest that when the Rapture occurs there will be relative calm around much of the world. Of course, that calm would be shattered by the fallout from the Rapture!

• Members

Jesus scolded the Pharisees for not discerning the signs of the times. If He didn't want us to know when it was close, He wouldn't have given us signs. He said we can't know the day or the hour, but He didn't say we can't know that it is close. There were plenty of signs in the O.T. regarding Jesus' birth if the majority of the people then would have cared to look for them. They couldn't know the day or the hour but they could have known that it was soon or not.

• Members
Jesus scolded the Pharisees for not discerning the signs of the times. If He didn't want us to know when it was close' date=' He wouldn't have given us signs. He said we can't know the day or the hour, but He didn't say we can't know that it is close. There were plenty of signs in the O.T. regarding Jesus' birth if the majority of the people then would have cared to look for them. They couldn't know the day or the hour but they could have known that it was soon or not.[/quote']

:amen:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I just wanted to tell you about a great book I read on prophecy of the endtimes. It does make mention of the 2012 theory, however, it does not express that Christ's return will be imentent in 2012. The name of the book is A Seven-Fold Promise of His Soon Coming. It was co-authored by Evangelist Dan Goodwin and Pastor Bill Waugh. Bill Waugh also teaches Bible at Shawnee Baptist College in New Albany, IN. They are both Independent Fundamental Baptists; and, I have personally known pastor Waugh for several years as he is good friends with my pastor, and his children attend the Christian School at our Church. The point of this book is not to pin-point the hour of Christ's return, but to enlighten us through scripture of the late hour in which we live, and to motivate us to get busy about our Father's business of winning souls before it is to late. I would highly recomend this book to anyone. It is packed full of scripture; and, it is easy to understand. If you would like to get a copy, you can contact Pastor Waugh at waughscabin@yahoo.com.