• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Something that's always confused me:

Mykahh

• Members

(Just a quick note: I'm and evil Calvinistic Christian, so if my tone seems a little "off" I apologize)

Okay, so I know that ya'll aren't into Christian music sounding like the World's music, right? Okay. So lets say that, suddenly, the World's musical tastes suddenly changed to the current "Christian" sound. Would you allow yourselves to listen to music that was "Rock" or "Metal", then?

This is a serious question.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The problem with Rock, Metal and other forms of modern music is that it satisfies the flesh. Remove the lyrics from a Christian Rock song and watch what the people do. They get into the flesh. Good Christian music should move the spirit and bring glory to God only. Those performing it and those listening should not be getting more glory than God.

If the world did develop a taste for music more in line with the fundamental Christian taste, the words would most likely still be of the world and therefore the message would be unrighteous. I can't think of any of today's songs I've been subjected to recently that have lyrics I care to hear again.

• Members
(Just a quick note: I'm and evil Calvinistic Christian, so if my tone seems a little "off" I apologize)

Okay, so I know that ya'll aren't into Christian music sounding like the World's music, right? Okay. So lets say that, suddenly, the World's musical tastes suddenly changed to the current "Christian" sound. Would you allow yourselves to listen to music that was "Rock" or "Metal", then?

This is a serious question.

That's really interesting point.

If, hypothetically, non-Christians decided that they liked Gospel music and, say, you could hear choirs singing "All Hail the Power of Jesus Name" on the jukebox down at the corner bar, then if the anti-contemporary music people are going to be consistent, then they'd have to abandon Gospel music.

• Members
That's really interesting point.

If, hypothetically, non-Christians decided that they liked Gospel music and, say, you could hear choirs singing "All Hail the Power of Jesus Name" on the jukebox down at the corner bar, then if the anti-contemporary music people are going to be consistent, then they'd have to abandon Gospel music.

HHHHHUUUUUUHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :uuhm:

Where did you pull that logic from? The issue with "CCM" is not who likes the music, but what the music is and does.

• Members

HHHHHUUUUUUHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :uuhm:

Where did you pull that logic from? The issue with "CCM" is not who likes the music, but what the music is and does.

I disagree.

If you look at any of the threads decrying 20th century pop music, it always comes down to: this kind of music appeals to such and such kind of person. Therefore, it is bad.

Likewise, if you go on all of the goofy sites like dialthetruth and so on, the argument is always based on guilt by association.

For instance, KISS recorded "God Gave Rock and Roll to You". Petra recorded "God Gave Rock and Roll to You". KISS is bad. Therefore, Petra is also bad.

If pagans, for whatever reason, decided that they liked Gospel music tomorrow, then everybody on this board would throw out their Gospel music for fear of being associated with pagans.

Music, as all art, should be judged on it's own merits, not whether a particular person or group of people like it.

• Administrators

Sorry, war_eagle, but I wouldn't throw out my music because pagans suddenly liked it. "Amazing Grace" is a song that many different styles of musicians like to sing. I love the song and won't throw it out because they do. I even ( :eek ) like some of the different renditions.

Just because KISS sings a song that says God gave us Rock and Roll, doesn't mean God did! At least, not the God of Heaven! I don't like Petra's sound or look - so, I don't listen to them. There are a few CCM songs that I like, that I believe are scriptural in lyric, so I listen. But not all of it.

I used to listen to rock when I was younger. Heavy metal, all of that. KISS was one of our (my brother and I) favorites. It would be safe to say that I had an addiction to it. When I got things right with the Lord, no-one told me that I needed to go through my records (yep - it was back in the days of LP's and eight tracks! :lol ) and get rid of any. But the Holy Spirit worked on me, and I gave them up - gladly. When I hear some of the CCM and/or "Christian" rock today, it is just like that music which I gave up. I don't want that in my mind...even if the lyrics are good...I don't want the music in there.

All of that to say again - anyone in the world can sing the songs of the gospel (look at the Hallelujiah Chorus and Christmas Carols...do we stop singing those?)...I won't throw mine out.

• Members
If pagans, for whatever reason, decided that they liked Gospel music tomorrow, then everybody on this board would throw out their Gospel music for fear of being associated with pagans.

Music, as all art, should be judged on it's own merits, not whether a particular person or group of people like it.

That's quite the generality you use there.

One of our pastors talked about music some years ago. What is good and what is bad and he never once mentioned that it is the listener that establishes the righteousness of the music. It is the tempo, the beat, what it does to the flesh, the lyrics, does it glorify God, the performer or the listener that determines whether or not the music is good or bad.

Good post LuAnne!

Guest Guest

I know this is off-topic... but how in the world did anyone ever like KISS in the first place?? That music is NASTY...Gene Simmons is REALLY NASTY... and the group is UUUGGGLLLYYYYY!!!!

maybe I'm just an ignorant kid born in the 80's....but I don't see how that would even come close to appealing to the flesh... (unless you're drunk or doped-up or something maybe)

• Members
I know this is off-topic... but how in the world did anyone ever like KISS in the first place?? That music is NASTY...Gene Simmons is REALLY NASTY... and the group is UUUGGGLLLYYYYY!!!!

maybe I'm just an ignorant kid born in the 80's....but I don't see how that would even come close to appealing to the flesh... (unless you're drunk or doped-up or something maybe)

Have you looked/listened at the groups your generation likes?.....enough said.

• Administrators

Well, KISS didn't appeal to everyone, neither did any of the other groups then anymore than all groups appeal to everyone who listens to rock today.

Yes, they are nasty, but nasty appeals to rebellious youth. Sorry, but that's the way it is. The worse it is, the more the parents hate it and the more the kids love it. And, truthfully, if you were to constantly listen, you would eventually like it. That's the way of the flesh. Just like physical food - feed your flesh junk music, and before long, that's all your flesh will want.

• Members

The "appeals to the flesh" point is a very weak argument to make. There are many hymns that "appeal to my flesh" to an extent but I don't think that makes them evil.

Just because music excites a person or makes a person want to move doesn't make that music evil. One must consider what sort of moving the song inspires one to do. There is music that will make most people tap their toes or perhaps clap their hands. For some people, some music might make them move a bit. And then we know there is some music that as soon as it's turned on people start moving their bodies in a simulated sexual manner or in a violent type manner.

It's not that music "appeals to the flesh" that's the problem, it's how the music appeals to the flesh.

• Members

The OP question is silly to me.

Don't forget that Satan is in control of non-believers and he isn't going to influence his people to like and sing music that honors God.

That being said, unsaved ppl sing Handel's "The Messiah" every year at Christmas and "Amazing Grace" at some occasions but they do it out of tradition, not love for our Lord.

• Members

I don't know who was singing it, other than it was a "Christian group", but when I was looking for a Christian radio station one time the station I stopped on played "Amazing Grace" by whoever this group was and I've never heard that song so butchered in my life!

They put some sort of pop beat to the song and even changed or left out some of the words (I remember they totally left out the word "wretch"). It was awful!

Guest Guest

Btw, Mikado... I hate a lot of the music my generation likes too... I don't know what possesses a person to like Rap (that's so nasty!!!!) or Hip Hop or that heavy metal "Screamo" music... it's all sooooo disgusting... (and the lyrics are even worse!!)