• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Spring 2008 is upon us

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
It's that Global Warming just burning us to a crisp!

Yeah, right....lol. We could use a little of that global warming here. It's a beautiful sunny day, but started out at 13 degrees this morning. Sunday we had a low of 15 and high of 35, but it was also a nice sunny day.

• Members
Beautiful' date=' Al!!! I love the singing of birds, and their flying (so long as they don't fly directly over me!!). It's been sunny here the last couple of days - I sure hope spring is actually here and that we have a good one this year.[/quote']

Yes birdsong is so beautiful, and such a wonderful accompaniment to the changing seasons. My favourite sounds of spring are the calls of displaying Lapwing, which are a kind of plover. I have such fond memories of looking over misty meadows at dawn and watching them displaying overhead- there's nothing like it. They have the most weirdly exotic sound; here's a sample if you can access it:
mms://audio.bl.uk/media/wildlife/lapwing01.wma

• Members

Bird songs can be pretty, but a couple of years back each night a Mockingbird thought he had to sing to Linda & I all night long right out side of our bedroom window.

Yesterday my brother in law was telling me about one of their neighbors who shared this problem, after several nights with out any sleep, a bit after midnight he got his double barrel shotgun, loaded it up & went searching real quietly under the trees. He finally spotted the singing mockingbird, aimed his shotgun, before he got his shot off there was a big blast and the mockingbird fell dead from the tree at his feet.

Seems his neighbor who lives right close to him got the same idea on the same night and took actions to quieten the neighbor down. Said they went back to bed and had the 1st peaceful night of sleep since that bird started singing to them all night every night.

I never did that, but I did think about going out and firing off a shot to shut the one outside of our window up.

• Administrators
Bird songs can be pretty, but a couple of years back each night a Mockingbird thought he had to sing to Linda & I all night long right out side of our bedroom window.

Yesterday my brother in law was telling me about one of their neighbors who shared this problem, after several nights with out any sleep, a bit after midnight he got his double barrel shotgun, loaded it up & went searching real quietly under the trees. He finally spotted the singing mockingbird, aimed his shotgun, before he got his shot off there was a big blast and the mockingbird fell dead from the tree at his feet.

Seems his neighbor who lives right close to him got the same idea on the same night and took actions to quieten the neighbor down. Said they went back to bed and had the 1st peaceful night of sleep since that bird started singing to them all night every night.

I never did that, but I did think about going out and firing off a shot to shut the one outside of our window up.

:lol::lol:
This is where a cat outside would come in handy!!!

• Members

A bit off topic, but I recalled this event.

I might add, after the shotgun blast Mike hollered, put that shotgun down and come out with you hands up?

His neighbor Billy Wayne nearly jumped out of his skin in fear thinking the game warden had him once again, this time for killing the state bird. He dropped his shotgun, put his hands up and walked out. When he saw it was his neighbor Mike he was nearly ready to kill him for scaring him out of his mind.

There was an elderly man who lived in the backwoods in the bottoms where my wife is from. He was know far and wide for hurting out of season.

One morning after cooking breakfast he opened his front door and hollers, "Game warden come on out, I already know your out there hiding, lets eat breakfast while its still hot."

He stood in his doorway a few moments, up raised the game warden coming out from his hiding place and came on in setting down with him and his wife for a great country breakfast.

After breakfast they were busy taking about everything, just as the game warden was leaving he asked the man, "How did your know I was out there, I thought I was hid real good and I stayed extermly quite," the elderly man replied, "I didn't, ever morning when the wife get breakfast ready I go to the front door and holler out, 'Game warden come on out, I already know your out there hiding, lets eat breakfast while its still hot,' for I knew sooner or later you would be out there,' this morning just happened to be the morning you were here"

This was told by the famous game warden we had in this area that would go to any lengths to catch anyone he thought would hunt illegal.