• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Article on "Once Saved, Always Saved!"

ELI3

• Members

:amen: Plus the fact Scripture teaches that if we are saved, we are eternally saved. Upon salvation we are born again into the family of God and receive at that moment everlasting life.

Titus 1:2 says, " In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;" Titus 3:7 says, "That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life" Rom 8:24-25 says, "For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? [25] But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

We can also look at other passages such as 1 John 2:24-25 which reads "......If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father. 25: And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life." This is an If then statement....If x is true then y is true....what if x is not true then y is not true. If it remains in us then we remain in Christ; what if it does not remain in us? We can also look at 2 Peter 1:5-10 which again shows that we do not fall if we add these Christian graces to our lives. We can study the book of Hebrews which clearly speaks of the possibility of falling. Gal 5:4 clearly states we can fall from grace which we are saved by grace (Eph 2:8-10).

• Members

John 10:28-29 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

• Members

John 10:28-29 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Absolutely, Jim. That passage teaches that no one can take my salvation from me but what it does not teach is that I am not able to turn away from the Lord.

Simon, in Acts 8:10ff, obeyed the Gospel and was saved and yet after being saved was told by Peter that he perished with his money; he was told to pray to the Lord that he might be forgiven. Would it not have been a sin for Peter to tell him that he perished if he was perfectly safe?

1 John 1:9 teaches us that the Lord will forgive us of our sins if we are willing to confess. What if we aren't? Will the Lord forgive us regardless? Will we be saved anyway? Jesus certainly stated that if we aren't willing to repent that we will perish (Luke 13:3, 5)

Jim, the Word of God is a wonderful comfort. Knowing that I am given the ability to be saved is a blessing and comfort. It is a comfort to know that His blood continues to to cleans me from all sin if I will simply walk in the Light (notice it does not say that I must live perfectly) (1 John 1:7). What is not a comfort is believing in something which is simply not in the Word of God. I don't need to believe in such in order to be comforted.

• Members

• Members

But does that REALLY mean "any man"? It doesn't say that I can't pluck myself out of His hand! Of course, I don't believe such silly reasoning, "any man" means me too! amen.gif

• Members

Scripture is clear that if we are born again, that is, born into the family of God, we cannot become unborn spiritually any more than we can physically become unborn once we have been born physically.

First John makes it clear we can KNOW we are saved. We HAVE eternal life.

• Members

The Bible is clear that "once saved always saved" is not truth. There are simply too many scriptures which clearly state that it is possible for one fall once he is saved.

Gal 5:4 states, "Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace." Remember we are saved by Grace (Eph 2:8-10)

1 Cor 10:12 says, "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall."

The Hebrew writer had much to say on this subject. Hebrew 2:1 reads, "Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip." 3:12 says, "take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God." 4:1 says, "Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it."

Again, we have the exaple of Simon in Acts 8:10ff who fell and was told what he must do in order to be restored. Demas is said to have loved this world more than the Lord (2 Tim 4:10) and that he departed.

We can look at examples in prior to the coming of the kingdom. John 6:66 speaks of those who were Christ disciples and yet turned away and followed Him no more.

We can look at passages such as, previously mentioned, 1 John 1:7, 9 which both speak of conditions that are required to our continued cleansing by the blood of Christ and our forgiveness. We can look at chapter 2:24-25 which again demonstrates of conditions placed by God upon us if we are to remain in Christ and have eternal life.

We could look at the fact that we hope for eternal life and that anything hoped for is not yet seen......

How do you expalin these passages in context of your claim of OSAS? Think of how silly is was of Paul to warn of the possibilty of falling if it is not possible to fall? Think of the silliness of the Hebrew writer doing the same thing? Think of the uselessness of speaking of conditions which are not really required anyway.

The Bible is clear on this denominational doctrine; it clearly refutes it.

• Members

Scripture is clear that if we are born again, that is, born into the family of God, we cannot become unborn spiritually any more than we can physically become unborn once we have been born physically.

First John makes it clear we can KNOW we are saved. We HAVE eternal life.

Yes, the Word does teach us taht we can know that we are saved. It doesn't teach us that we are not free to turn by from God. (See above post)

• Members

Your misinterpretation. Properly understoond, they are not saying what you claim.

Scripture doesn't contradict itself and there are a plethora of verses which prove when one is born again in Christ he is eternally saved. For the Scripture to say otherwise elsewhere would be to reduce the Word to a contradiction...which it's not.

• Members

Your misinterpretation. Properly understoond, they are not saying what you claim.

Scripture doesn't contradict itself and there are a plethora of verses which prove when one is born again in Christ he is eternally saved. For the Scripture to say otherwise elsewhere would be to reduce the Word to a contradiction...which it's not.

If I am misinterpreting, then please give a "proper" interpretation of these passages.

We can agree that the Bible does not contradict itself. These passages clearly refute OSAS so that would leave only one other possibility and that is that you are misapplying the passages that you use to attempt to prove OSAS.

I will leave it with what I wrote above. The truth is there, believe it or not. Edited by coc333

• Members

You desire to contradict the Word of God. You can't proclaim one isn't saved eternally when Scripture is clear we are without misinterpretting other passages. Much of the truth has been pointed out to you yet you ignore it. An abundance of proof is available online, in books and sermons.

If you wish to believe the Word contradicts itself and never know your ultimate destination until you get there, then that's your choice.

• Members
The Bible is clear that "once saved always saved" is not truth. There are simply too many scriptures which clearly state that it is possible for one fall once he is saved.

Firstly, "falling" in scripture doesn't necessarily mean losing your salvation.

Proverbs 24:16 For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.

Gal 5:4 states, "Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace." Remember we are saved by Grace (Eph 2:8-10)

A Christian is not justified by the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ (Ga 2:16), so the "whosoever" Paul is speaking to in Gal 5:4 are not saved people but those whom Christ has become of no effect, they are trusting in their works, therefore they are fallen from grace.

1 Cor 10:12 says, "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall."

This is supposed to "clearly state" that a Christian can fall from salvation, when there is no salvation mentioned in the verse or the context of the verse? The context is Israel's rebellion and how they reaped what they sowed, the same principle applies to us, but we don't lose our salvation and go to hell for it. The falling here can mean a number of things, falling from fellowship with the Lord, falling into temptation and a snare, etc.

The Hebrew writer had much to say on this subject. Hebrew 2:1 reads, "Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip." 3:12 says, "take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God." 4:1 says, "Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it."

Hebrews was written to "Hebrews" and not the body of Christ, therefore the doctrine in it is for Israel and not the Christian. Some of the doctrine therein compliments Church Age doctrine but not in regards to salvation. There will be a future time when a person CAN lose their salvation, e.g. during the Tribulation if a believer takes the mark of the beast he will lose his salvation and be damned.

So one needs to be very careful trying to apply the salvation passages in Hebrews to the Christian today, they will contradict if you do not rightly divide the scripture and ascertain which group of people are being written to.

Again, we have the exaple of Simon in Acts 8:10ff who fell and was told what he must do in order to be restored. Demas is said to have loved this world more than the Lord (2 Tim 4:10) and that he departed.

There is no record that either of these believers lost their salvation. It's clear they sinned as we are all capable of, and Simon was told to repent, but no loss of salvation is mentioned in any verse.

We can look at examples in prior to the coming of the kingdom. John 6:66 speaks of those who were Christ disciples and yet turned away and followed Him no more.

There were no born again Christians in the context of John 6:66, neither had Jesus yet died on the cross, been buried, and risen from the dead, they were technically still under the Old Testament. So using it as an example of how a Christian can lose his salvation is pointless.

We can look at passages such as, previously mentioned, 1 John 1:7, 9 which both speak of conditions that are required to our continued cleansing by the blood of Christ and our forgiveness. We can look at chapter 2:24-25 which again demonstrates of conditions placed by God upon us if we are to remain in Christ and have eternal life.

The context of the 1 John passage you quote is "fellowship" with God, not salvation. A Christian is to confess his sins to God in order to stay in fellowship with God, keeping a right heart with God, not in order to stay saved.

Redemption and forgiveness of sins is through the blood of Jesus Christ, not through our confession of sins on a regular basis.

Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

How do you expalin these passages in context of your claim of OSAS?

I've given these explanations for the benefit of others who are reading this thread.

Coc33, it's apparent to me that you are getting confused between a person falling from fellowship with God and falling from salvation. None of the passages you quote "clearly" show a person losing their salvation, but rather show people who either were never saved to begin with, or people who are saved and fall into sin, the exception being the doctrine to Israel during the Tribulation.

A Christian can fall away from God into sin, which disrupts fellowship between them and the Lord, but this does not result in damnation. It will result in chastisement because he/she is a son of God, and may even result in physical death, but the Bible doesn't teach that a Christian can lose the salvation of their soul, at all.

1 Corinthians 11:30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Proverbs 3:11 My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction: 12 For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.