• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Article on "Once Saved, Always Saved!"

ELI3

• Members

Romans 8:37
Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 38For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Not only that but God is my Father...and I am His son....
When my earthly father begat me, I inherited his likeness, his characteristics, his nature, his wealth, his name, and there is nothing which can change the fact that I am his biological son. I will always be his son. It's the same with my Heavenly Father. When He begets you, you are His son and nothing you can do will change that.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Romans 8:37
Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 38For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Not only that but God is my Father...and I am His son....
When my earthly father begat me, I inherited his likeness, his characteristics, his nature, his wealth, his name, and there is nothing which can change the fact that I am his biological son. I will always be his son. It's the same with my Heavenly Father. When He begets you, you are His son and nothing you can do will change that.

When a person shows no signs of change after being "born again" do you just assume they didn't have saving faith? Or, do you accept their salvation based on their moment of possible belief?

• Members

When a person shows no signs of change after being "born again" do you just assume they didn't have saving faith? Or, do you accept their salvation based on their moment of possible belief?

If a person shows no signs of change after proclaiming to be born again that's indication they were not born again.

Scripture warns us to examine our faith to make sure we are in Christ. If we are truly born again there will be marked change in our lives and the longer we are in Christ the more closely we will follow Him.

Jesus said if we love Him we will keep His commandments. This also serves as a warning to any who profess to be saved yet reject His commandments or refuse to walk in them.

Jesus asked many why they were calling Him Lord when they were not doing as He said. Elsewhere we learn that many will one day stand before Christ and hear Him tell them He never knew them before He casts them into hell.

In First John we are told we can KNOW we are saved.

• Members

Like John 81 says, the only way I can assume another person is saved is by seeing a change in their life, or the fruit of the Spirit working and bearing witness to me.
I can see a change in their life, but I can't see into their heart; only God can do that. But I can be certain of my own salvation because I was there when Jesus came into my heart, and I know what He did for me. The people in the church house could hear me tearfully cry out "Jesus!" as I hurried to the altar, but only He and I knew that He filled me with His Spirit. So really, they had to see a change in my life as well. Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Like John 81 says, the only way I can assume another person is saved is by seeing a change in their life, or the fruit of the Spirit working and bearing witness to me.
I can see a change in their life, but I can't see into their heart; only God can do that. But I can be certain of my own salvation because I was there when Jesus came into my heart, and I know what He did for me. The people in the church house could hear me tearfully cry out "Jesus!" as I hurried to the altar, but only He and I knew that He filled me with His Spirit. So really, they had to see a change in my life as well.

What is this "Altar"?

That is in RC churches.

• Members

What is this "Altar"?

That is in RC churches.

Is Your all on the Altar

Words & Music: Eli­sha A. Hoff­man, 1905 (MI­DI, score).

You have longed for sweet peace,
And for faith to increase,
And have earnestly, fervently prayed;
But you cannot have rest,
Or be perfectly blest,
Until all on the altar is laid.

Refrain

Is your all on the altar of sacrifice laid?
Your heart does the Spirit control?
You can only be blest,
And have peace and sweet rest,
As you yield Him your body and soul.

Would you walk with the Lord,
In the light of His Word,
And have peace and contentment alway?
You must do His sweet will,
To be free from all ill,
On the altar your all you must lay.

Refrain

O we never can know
What the Lord will bestow
Of the blessings for which we have prayed,
Till our body and soul
He doth fully control,
And our all on the altar is laid.

Refrain

Who can tell all the love
He will send from above,
And how happy our hearts will be made,
Of the fellowship sweet
We shall share at His feet,
When our all on the altar is laid.

Refrain

• Members

Yes, the word "altar" occurs 378 times in the KJB. But the New Testament "altar" is not a physical thing where animals are sacrificed; instead, it can be the point at which believers present themselves as a living sacrifice to God. It is a "place" of giving; the giving of gifts of praise to God or the giving of love to our brothers and sisters in Christ. Hebrews 13:10-16
Our church has no physical piece of furniture called an "altar" but that is what we call the place where we kneel at the front. I should have just said "when I came forward" or something like that. But anyway....I was saved before I left the pew.

• Members

I can see a change in their life, but I can't see into their heart; only God can do that. But I can be certain of my own salvation because I was there when Jesus came into my heart, and I know what He did for me. The people in the church house could hear me tearfully cry out "Jesus!" as I hurried to the altar, but only He and I knew that He filled me with His Spirit. So really, they had to see a change in my life as well.

I guess we both agree then that a change of some magnitude must take place. Without change, I fear for that soul hanging on by a "prayer" .... it's never just a prayer alone, but the repentance that leads to the prayer. Without repentance I can't see genuine salvation. One must see the error in their ways and want to change.

I guess that is where I bunt heads with some of the eternal security folks. They look at the Bible and see an absolute moment of rebirth. A date. A time. I don't disagree that it's faith alone that saves, but the Bible shows many times where head knowledge won't get you far. It's a genuine moment of rebirth where one sees the need to trust Christ alone and nothing else. And at that moment the insides are changed and the child of God starts a journey along with the Holy Spirit. That child will never be separated from God.

But, I see an earthly hand reaching our for a gift with a stipulation attached. God says to love him and keep his commandments and that faith without works is dead. If someone seeks God and starts the walk but then suddenly stops and has zero works and zero love for God I believe the Bible says they are still lost. Some say they had no saving faith, but it's not about a moment of salvation but about a beginning that must grow. Edited by God's Child

• Members

When it comes down to it, either a person truly accepts Christ, which entails repentance that brings about change in ones life and leads to good works; or they never truly accepted Christ.

A head knowledge of Christ and accepting Christ intellectually isn't the same as acknowledging Christ in your heart in repentance and becoming a follower of Christ. The first is still in his sins while the other has been biblically born again.

One thing many professing Christians, pastors and churches fail to teach today is that Christ called for followers, disciples. The idea that one can have Jesus as Saviour while not accepting Him as Lord is a false teaching that's leading untold tens of thousands to hell.

• Members

When it comes down to it, either a person truly accepts Christ, which entails repentance that brings about change in ones life and leads to good works; or they never truly accepted Christ.

A head knowledge of Christ and accepting Christ intellectually isn't the same as acknowledging Christ in your heart in repentance and becoming a follower of Christ. The first is still in his sins while the other has been biblically born again.

One thing many professing Christians, pastors and churches fail to teach today is that Christ called for followers, disciples. The idea that one can have Jesus as Saviour while not accepting Him as Lord is a false teaching that's leading untold tens of thousands to hell.

I agree with what you say. But, Luke 8:11-13 cause me to also believe that one can accept the word and be saved sadly for only a short period. Edited by God's Child

• Members

There are always those who seem to accept Christ, and even think they have, yet who have not truly repented and accepted Christ according to the Word of God. These often seem to bloom greatly but then have a great "falling away". This "falling away" is really a matter of them returning to their nature because they never took on the new nature of Christ.

We see some of this in First John where we are told that some left them, these were ones they all thought were true Christians with them, yet they went away because they had never truly been of them to begin with.

This is whey Scripture admonishes all of us to examine our salvation, to check our faith, to be sure we are truly born again in Christ, so we don't risk being among those who think they are Christians but will one day hear Christ tell them they must depart because He never knew them.

• Members

There are always those who seem to accept Christ, and even think they have, yet who have not truly repented and accepted Christ according to the Word of God. These often seem to bloom greatly but then have a great "falling away". This "falling away" is really a matter of them returning to their nature because they never took on the new nature of Christ.

We see some of this in First John where we are told that some left them, these were ones they all thought were true Christians with them, yet they went away because they had never truly been of them to begin with.

This is whey Scripture admonishes all of us to examine our salvation, to check our faith, to be sure we are truly born again in Christ, so we don't risk being among those who think they are Christians but will one day hear Christ tell them they must depart because He never knew them.

I believe all that you state above. Curious, from what I share about conditional preservation of the saints would you question the gospel I follow as yet another gospel, or non-essential doctrine not valid toward the gospel that saves? Edited by God's Child

• Members

I guess we both agree then that a change of some magnitude must take place. Without change, I fear for that soul hanging on by a "prayer" .... it's never just a prayer alone, but the repentance that leads to the prayer. Without repentance I can't see genuine salvation. One must see the error in their ways and want to change.

I guess that is where I bunt heads with some of the eternal security folks. They look at the Bible and see an absolute moment of rebirth. A date. A time. I don't disagree that it's faith alone that saves, but the Bible shows many times where head knowledge won't get you far. It's a genuine moment of rebirth where one sees the need to trust Christ alone and nothing else. And at that moment the insides are changed and the child of God starts a journey along with the Holy Spirit. That child will never be separated from God. But, I see an earthly hand reaching our for a gift with a stipulation attached. God says to love him and keep his commandments and that faith without works is dead. If someone seeks God and starts the walk but then suddenly stops and has zero works and zero love for God I believe the Bible says they are still lost. Some say they had no saving faith, but it's not about a moment of salvation but about a beginning that must grow.

Some are strong in their faith and they grew from being a babe in Christ. Others just seem to stagnate. I fear for the unchanged "Christian" because I believe God reached out, He saved them, and then they rejected him in their infant state. They didn't build on a rock. They were seed on bad soil. I don't know how long God gives the babe in Christ, but if they don't start to grow I fear for them. I believe the speck of saving faith is small, just so one trust Christ alone and what he did on the Cross. But, how can one expect eternal life if they don't trust Christ anymore? Bible says they are dead, and dead means no life at all. Maybe they are weak, and still trust Christ, and maybe they are dead and don't want Christ. What about those moments of life? Was that nothing at all or maybe God turning the key and starting the journey. They didn't grow, they didn't care, they died, they gave God back his gift and said I don't really want it after all.

Am I the judge? No. But the Bible says faith without works is dead. That should fear people. Those hanging on by a prayer don't fear, they just accept they are helpless humans and that God made this magical way to heaven. They assume Christ is their advocate even as they reject him. They say he saved them on such and such a date. How foolish. They have no moment when they trusted him as their savior, they just have a date then when acquired head knowledge.

Not sure my stand is clear.

God'sChild,
On a Sunday morning, May 11, 1986 in the Berean Baptist Church, about 3 or 4 pews back, on the left side of the auditorium, Jesus came into my heart when I beleived and called on His name right after the preacher had preached a sermon entitled "The Lord is my Shepherd". This is what the Bible says happened......

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

So, 24 years ago I heard the Word and the moment I believed on Jesus I was a possessor of everlasting life, passed from death unto life, with a promise that I would never go to Hell. Please read this verse.......

2 Timothy 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his.And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Now read the next verse........

Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Did you catch that? God says that He "Knoweth them that are His", but in the future when He puts those in the Lake of Fire He won't say "I used to know you"; No, He will say to all of them "I never knew you. Edited by heartstrings