• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Confession

• Members
Confessions to a Priest and Indulgences find authority from similar passages: Mt 16:19
I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Mt 18:18
Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Jn 20:21-23
(Jesus) said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained."
-Clearly, God gave his apostles the power to forgive sins in His name, as well as retaining them. This power has passed on by apostolic succession through the Bishops of the Church and therefore to their priests.

• Members

Even Satan knows what the Bible says - he is one clever trickster isn't he?

Matthew 18:18

Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

John 20

21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

• Members

Here is a pretty good article that explains the problems with this line of reasoning you presented, Baker's 1/2 dozen. I found it at http://www.christian-faith.com/forjesus ... tian-faith

Does the Roman Catholic Church represent the true Christian faith?

Posted March 12th, 2007 by michael

"Let it be known to you all ... by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead ... This is the 'stone which was rejected by you builders, which has become the chief cornerstone.' Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:10-12)

"For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all." (1 Timothy 2:5,6).

Jesus said to him, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father but by Me". (John 14:6)

"the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out" (John 6:37).

The Roman Catholic church speaks truly on many issues. But the most important issue of all for us is the issue of salvation. Indeed, we have all sinned and corrupted ourselves (Romans 3:23). So much so that we can never approach God Almighty on the basis of our own merits or goodness. The question for a seeker after God is then: how may I approach God? As we can see from the Bible verses above, the only way to God is through Jesus Christ. These verses present Christ not only as being the Only Way, but also as being One who welcomes us. The Roman Catholic church has undermined this vital revelation of Christ in several ways.

The Roman Catholic church has presented Mary to the world as the one who will intercede for us to Jesus. Catholic popes have always glorified Mary. Thus Pope Leo XIII stated in his rosary encyclical, "Octobri mense" (1891): "Nobody can approach Christ except through the mother". But this is patently false, if the gospels are to be believed, because the gospels are full of examples of people coming to Christ directly. These stories contain no references to Mary whatsoever. The leper of Matthew 8:2, for example, did not request an interview with Mary before coming and worshiping Christ. Neither need we. Unclean as we may be, we can come to Jesus directly and receive cleansing from our wonderful Savior. He is not an angry Savior who must be placated by his mother. There is no other mediator between God and men besides Jesus. Not Mary, not saints, not special priests. None of these can repent and believe for you, and God requires you to repent and believe the gospel before you can be truly saved. "Unless you repent, you also will perish" (Luke 13:3). "He who hears My Word and believes in Him who sent Me Me has everlasting life" said Jesus (John 5:24). I sincerely counsel all people of Roman Catholic persuasion to simply hear the Words of Jesus as recorded in the gospels for us. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

"But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached..." (2 Corinthians 11:3,4).

Popes and priests of the Roman Catholic church have not only presented a false Savior to the world. They have also clouded the issue of who Jesus Christ really is as Lord and Savior, by substituting another Jesus for the One that truly is. For example, they have declared that their specially blessed "hosts" in the Mass are truly "Jesus". The Council of Trent, which is still in force today for Catholics, states that anyone who denies that the host is truly Jesus is "anathema" - cursed and to be damned. I treat this issue more fully in some of my material below. It is an important point. Its important to realise that the Bible teaches that the sacrifice of Jesus was a once for all sacrifice, and cannot be truly repeated at the Mass (Hebrews 10:12; 14).. This is where priests and popes have lied. The truth is not in them, since they blatantly contradict the Scriptures they profess to honor. They place their traditions and what they say above what God says. The two are not the same.

Many have written to me telling me that I am really very ignorant concerning the Catholic church. I don't profess to know everything - the Catholic religion is extremely complicated and you have to study a lot to know it well. However, here is the story of a man who did study these things, lived and ministered as a Roman Catholic priest for years, and then after some agony of heart and conscience realised the error of his ways and repented, becoming a true born again Christian.

Read here the life testimony of Richard Peter Bennett who was a Roman Catholic priest and studied at the The Angelicum University in Rome.

By the way, although I've met plenty of people who have been turned off God by the Catholic church and its representatives, that wasn't my personal experience. My motivation for writing is to point people to Jesus and away from the substitutes that have been offered. I don't have some kind of grudge against the Roman Catholic church at all. I am also against any attempt by Protestants or Catholics to impose their religion on one another by force. Such things have happened on both sides and are contrary to the Spirit of Christ no matter in which camp they originate.

• Members

Janet, I hope you realize from other threads on these boards that I brought all the false Catholic doctrines over here in separate threads so we can address them individually. We are doing this for the sake of some who are starting to question their Catholic religion. Our prayer is to be able to refute the false doctrines. I'm not asking about these subjects in order to learn more about Catholicism. :smile

• Members

I understood what you are attempting Bakers - however Satan is a sly and tricky devil. He beguiled Eve in the garden with God's own words and twisted them just enough to convince Eve that she ought to disobey Adam and God's command to not eat of the fruit of Knowledge of good and Evil. (God never commanded Eve directly, so I am assuming that she learned of this command through Adam.)

People who have been born into the Roman Catholic Religion or are otherwise converted through marriage or whatever are led to believe these false teachings, because they have been laced with just enough "scripture" to make them sound true - but as anyone who has ever studied the Bible can see, they are not true teachings at all. Roman Catholics are never encouraged to read their Bibles for themselves - in fact the opposite is true - they are told that it is impossible for anyone except a Priest or a Bishop to understand and interpret what the Bible teaches. They have been brainwashed into believing that any teachings that contradict Roman Catholic teachings is heresay. History will tell you just to what lengths the Roman Catholics went through to prevent common people from reading or owning a Bible. Men were put to death for translating the Bible into the common English language. Teaching "believers baptism" as they are truly taught in the New Testament was punishable by burning at the stake and other horrible tortures. They tried their best to extinguish the TRUTH, and yet by the Grace of God the TRUTH has prevailed even to this day!

The only way to rescue a Roman Catholic is through the power of Prayer as they are very resistant to witnessesssing and reasoning - it is not their fault - it is the fault of a lifetime of brainwashing. I should know, as I was born into a Roman Catholic family and rescued by Jesus' saving grace when I was 20 years old.

They would rather fall on their knees and worship a blob of chocolate that looks like Mary, than to open a Bible and read God's word.

• Members

im4given, certainly prayer is an integral part of witnessing to a Catholic - but no one will get saved apart from learning the truth, apart from continually sowing the Word of God and showing them their errors in its light.

• Members

If a Roman Catholic believes THEY are right and that YOU are wrong - then nothing in this world will open their hearts and minds to the gospel. You can tell by these threads we have engaged in about Mary, the Rosary and such that is so absolutely OBVIOUS to us that RCC is a false religion even a cult, but to them they believe black is white and white is black because that is what they have been taught and what they want to hear. RCC is a rather "easy" religion once you are able to accept the lies, or have not been exposed to the REAL truth so you really don't know any better. All a RC has to do is live their life however they want to live - even the members of the mafia are devout RCs - and then they go to confession once a week, ask the parish priest to forgive them and then pay some sort of pennance (not repentance) - either monetarily or by praying on their Rosaries, and they are thus "forgiven" and then they can go about with more murder and mayhem if they choose. There is nothing in the RC religion that teaches them that they have to live their lives any differently from anyone else in the world, they just have to live a life of continual atonement. RCCs even believe that they can can pray dead people out of hell, so you often find women mourning their loved ones, burning candles (and paying the priest) to get their loved ones out of hell or out of purgatory and at some point they will "get out of spiritual jail" which is their concept of heaven and hell and purgatory.

Key words to look up are Indulgences, Purgatory, and Pennance

So prayer that the Holy Spirit will open their minds and their hearts is what it takes - even more than teaching them the TRUE road to salvation - if that stony ground has not been plowed and prepared by the Holy Spirit no amount of seed that you plant there will ever take root.