• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
As for celibacy among priests, bishops, etc.: Refer to St. Paul's words in 1 Corinthians 7: "To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is well for them to remain single as I am. But if they cannot exercise self-control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to be aflame with passion" (7:8-9). He further clarifies the virtue of celibacy: "I say this by way of concession, not of command. I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has his own special gift from God, one of one kind and one of another" (7:6-7, emphasis added). He who marries "does well; and he who refrains from marriage will do better" (7:38).

"Not all can accept this word, but only those to whom it is granted. Some are incapable of marriage because they were born so; some, because they were made so by others; some, because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of God. Whoever can accept this ought to accept it" (Matt. 19:11?12).

My question: Why are Priests and Nuns FORBIDDEN to marry? History has shown repeatedly that many of them obviously can't abstain and don't have that special gift Paul spoke of.