• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pros and Cons List

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Dear Kayla,
I would be very careful about getting caught up in the unscriptural and sometimes dangerous "dating scene." It is not a good idea to go out with him because you are putting yourself on, as it were, his playing field, and you have little control. Let me share a true story with you. There was a young lady in our church back home (Florida.) She had a job and a young policeman who met her there (a restaraunt I think,) wanted to date her. She having some godly counsel, told him if he wanted to see her, he was going to have to do it at her church. So...he consented, (he liked her,) Rick started coming to church and in time, he heard the gospel and was saved. In time, he surrendered his life to foreign missions and they served in Panama with New Tribes. I'm not saying it will turn out that way, but I would advise you to stay away from the unscriptural practice of dating. It can be a trap and get you into a situation that you will later regret. Keep control. Keep it in the realm of the spiritual. Dating is not God's perfect will.

Bro. Ben

• Members

[quote="PreacherBen"]Dear Kayla,
I would be very careful about getting caught up in the unscriptural and sometimes dangerous "dating scene." It is not a good idea to go out with him because you are putting yourself on, as it were, his playing field, and you have little control. Let me share a true story with you. There was a young lady in our church back home (Florida.) She had a job and a young policeman who met her there (a restaraunt I think,) wanted to date her. She having some godly counsel, told him if he wanted to see her, he was going to have to do it at her church. So...he consented, (he liked her,) Rick started coming to church and in time, he heard the gospel and was saved. In time, he surrendered his life to foreign missions and they served in Panama with New Tribes. I'm not saying it will turn out that way, but I would advise you to stay away from the unscriptural practice of dating. It can be a trap and get you into a situation that you will later regret. Keep control. Keep it in the realm of the spiritual. Dating is not God's perfect will.

Bro. Ben[/quote]

:goodpost:

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Friends...

I want to get some feedback. :)

Do you think if a young man were to ask out a young lady. And she were uncertain as to whether it was God's will for her to pursue a relationship with this young man. Would it be inappropriate for her to construct a pros and cons list concerning the young man in question and bring it before the Lord?

KT(Prodigal)

It would seem rational, but one must make sure he's objective when doing this; this can be especially hard for the person who's already made their mind up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

If a 'relationship' means getting emotionally involved ,why are you considering one? Don't think God intends for any "relationship" it is one thing to be friendly to one another, but a relationdhip carries with it 'getting involved'

The Lord may want you to wait to get involved, until you are ready (that is =knowing who you will marry) I know it sounds fuddy these days, but getting involved means you are going to give a 'piece' of your heart away. What then? When you get married, you don't have your all to give.:twocents:

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Hi Friends...

I want to get some feedback. :)

Do you think if a young man were to ask out a young lady. And she were uncertain as to whether it was God's will for her to pursue a relationship with this young man. Would it be inappropriate for her to construct a pros and cons list concerning the young man in question and bring it before the Lord?

KT(Prodigal)

In my opinion, I would say that the young man ask her father first since she is under his authority and he has more wisdom and insight. So to answer your question, a pro and con list is okay but not necessary since God knows what you are thinking even before you write them down. I would let her father examine the young man before the young man even approaches her and let him talk to his daughter about him. THen she can pray about it (with the pros and cons) If she has peace about it and her father consents, it is a good indication that it is God's will to pursue the relationship. Otherwise it may not be God's will. Even if they go out I would also encourage a chaperone for the sake of sexual/emotional purity.

Hope that helps. Reply if you would like to discuss further.

God Bless