• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Should Christians be drinking caffeine

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sounds good! Time for a refill... :coffee

Then its time to ban turkey eating too!

It (Tryptophan) is a precursor (starting material) for serotonin from which our brains make serotonin, which is then used to calm you down and make you sleepy.

I'm feeling sleepy just thinking about it.

• Members

actually, turkey does not make you sleepy. Overeating does (we don't feel that way during big dinner because it is usually time for bed anyhow... but on Thanksgiving, it's kinda like having a BIG dinner during lunchtime). That's what I saw yesterday on the show called "The Doctors".

Yeah, you would have to consume 10 turkey's to get enough tryptophan to induce sleep. People tend to overeat when it comes to Holiday meals and that's the reason why people are sleepy afterwards. Too much calories = :snooze::snooze::snooze:

Love,
Madeline

• Members

I don't believe ADD is based on what you eat - it is a byproduct of our "information age." (ie. kids are raised on entertainment, computers, videos and video games - and therefore are taught to give in to every whim, then schools/their parents/their employers try to get them to focus on something that is uninteresting (such as homework, reading a book for English), and they can't focus - they're too hyper and easily distracted.

Been there, done that. It is a prOBlem that needs self-discipline as the solution. The parents/environment trained the child in a wrong manner, and now they are suffering the consequences of it.

• Members

Marijuana has been scientifically/medically linked to mental health issues - even with a little use. Regardless of modern societies' view of this drug, God is against drugs (the Bible uses the term, sorcery, pharmakeia - unsure of spelling). The Bible teaches us to be sOBer-minded, not to have our judgment/minds clouded. From what I have seen, I believe Marijuana IS addicting, despite what the drug addicts who use it daily try to claim. It affects people's personalities - dumbs them down, clouds their mind (giving Satan more of a foothold).

Back to the caffeine issue. I am against the abuse of caffeine - drinking espressos all day long for the caffeine buzz - but am not against caffeine in itself, or coffee - as has been stated, there are medical benefits to caffeine, including opening up constricted blood vessels, which asthmatics and those with migraines deal with.

BUT do those who are really against "caffeine/coffee" really abstain from caffeine overall? It is in most teas, pops, chocolate. Do the anti-coffee promoters actually abstain from hot chocolate and normal teas too?

• Members

Ah Jerry, you did not disappoint.

? You think I am wrong in sharing my opinion or experience in this area? Or that I shouldn't make a serious comment when other people are making light-hearted ones?

• Members

What do you think?

It is an addicting drug, and it causes many prOBlems. Short-term, the effects are totally different than when a person is addicted to it and must use it every day.

Why don't you give us your opinion of morphine - which I had not commented on, except now in answer to your question - or even give us your Bible-based opinion on marijuana, which I was commenting on? Marijuana is a mind-altering drug. Morphine is not, though as stated there are long-term affects, and it is highly addicting. Long-term, morphine causes more prOBlems than it solves (this is from the perspective of someone who deals with clients dealing with the daily affects of their addictions).

• Members

I didn't think I was talking about Marijuana. :icon_confused:
Anyway, I don't think Marijuana is any better, or any worse, than tOBacco. I don't think it's something Christians should be using but I don't think it should be illegal either, especially when used for medicinal purposes.

Morphine is very much a mind-altering drug. People feel drowsy and it causes an extended sense of well-being, not to mention kills pain. However, Satan doesn't get a foothold in your life just because you're out of it, whether by drug-induction or because you hit your head really hard. I think any of us would take a morphine iv if we were in the kind of excruciating pain that some people have had to experience.