• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Is Modalism?

• Members

It means that God presented Himself to man in different modes: ie. First He was the Father, then He came as the Son, then He revealed Himself as the Holy Spirit. Basically, it is a denial that there are three persons in the Trinity - instead, they teach one person who reveals Himself in different modes at different times. Eg. During Jesus' ministry, He was the Son - there was no Father or Spirit in Heaven. They also use this illustration: a married man is a father, a son, and a husband - different roles at different times - implying there is no distinction in the Godhead: the Father is the Son is the Holy Spirit.

• Members
It means that God presented Himself to man in different modes: ie. First He was the Father' date=' then He came as the Son, then He revealed Himself as the Holy Spirit. Basically, it is a denial that there are three persons in the Trinity - instead, they teach one person who reveals Himself in different modes at different times. Eg. During Jesus' ministry, He was the Son - there was no Father or Spirit in Heaven. They also use this illustration: a married man is a father, a son, and a husband - different roles at different times - implying there is no distinction in the Godhead: the Father is the Son is the Holy Spirit.[/quote']

Which in essence isn't even compatible with an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent God anyways. It limits God to time and space.

• Members
It means that God presented Himself to man in different modes: ie. First He was the Father' date=' then He came as the Son, then He revealed Himself as the Holy Spirit. Basically, it is a denial that there are three persons in the Trinity - instead, they teach one person who reveals Himself in different modes at different times. Eg. During Jesus' ministry, He was the Son - there was no Father or Spirit in Heaven. They also use this illustration: a married man is a father, a son, and a husband - different roles at different times - implying there is no distinction in the Godhead: the Father is the Son is the Holy Spirit.[/quote']
Thanks Jerry!

• 1 year later...
  • Members

"Sabellianism" means the same thing. That name comes from Sabellius, a 3rd-century AD Roman priest who taught modalism.

I reckon none of them ever read Jesus' words, "My Father is greater than I" or the accounts of Jesus' baptism where Father, Son, & Holy Spirit were all present as three distinct Beings.

• Members

Who had the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost living in one person? Colossians 2:9

If you asked me (Heartstrings)to introduce SOMEONE ELSE to you....and instead of introducing SOMEONE ELSE, I obliged by telling you, "you've already met ME"....what would you think? John 14:8-9.

And who is also called "the everlasting Father"? Jesus
And who does the Bible say was FULL of the Holy Ghost? That's right, the Bible says Jesus was full of the Holy Ghost.

What am I saying? I'm saying this thing of one God in three persons is just something you have to believe by faith...,you CANNOT break it down, define it or figure it out. It's "too wonderful for me", but I beleive it.

• Members

If the doctrine of Modalism were true, then:

• Jesus prayed to Himself (Matt. 11:25)
  • Was a ventriloquist when God the Father told the Son "Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." (Mk. 1:11)
  • Jesus said, "It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true." (Jn. 8:17). Jesus also said, "I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me. 2 WITNESSES (Jn. 8:18 ). So in other words...If Jesus and His Father are the same person, then that makes 1 witness and Jesus a liar - and I dare say that.
  • Jesus committed His OWN spirit unto Himself (Lk. 23:46)
  • Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD. (Jn. 17:24). According to Modalism The Father BECAME the Son at the incarnation, but the bible says that the Son was WITH the Father BEFORE the foundation of the World and was even LOVED by His Father. According to Modalism...Jesus loved Himself according to Modalists!
  • Jesus refers to Himself as YOU [THOU] (Jn. 17)
  • For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. (Jn. 6:38) TWO different wills.

I don't use the word "Trinity" because I believe God is far beyond our human comprehension regarding His essence and it simply wouldn't suffice. I do however know that according to what God has revealed about Himself in scripture, that there are 3 persons who are equally God/LORD (Both equal descriptions of deity - cf. 1 Cor. 8:6)

When we worhip a God who manifests Himself in 3 modes, 1 God - 1 person, 1 God - a god (which would make a false God and a direct violation of the 1st commandment), then we don't and can't worship God in Spirit and in Truth. The end result is eternal punishment from the True God who will profess to them..."I NEVER Knew you!!!"

Love,
Madeline

• Members

If the doctrine of Modalism were true, then:

• Jesus prayed to Himself (Matt. 11:25)
  • Was a ventriloquist when God the Father told the Son "Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." (Mk. 1:11)
  • Jesus said, "It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true." (Jn. 8:17). Jesus also said, "I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me. 2 WITNESSES (Jn. 8:18 ). So in other words...If Jesus and His Father are the same person, then that makes 1 witness and Jesus a liar - and I dare say that.
  • Jesus committed His OWN spirit unto Himself (Lk. 23:46)
  • Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD. (Jn. 17:24). According to Modalism The Father BECAME the Son at the incarnation, but the bible says that the Son was WITH the Father BEFORE the foundation of the World and was even LOVED by His Father. According to Modalism...Jesus loved Himself according to Modalists!
  • Jesus refers to Himself as YOU [THOU] (Jn. 17)
  • For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. (Jn. 6:38) TWO different wills.

I don't use the word "Trinity" because I believe God is far beyond our human comprehension regarding His essence and it simply wouldn't suffice. I do however know that according to what God has revealed about Himself in scripture, that there are 3 persons who are equally God/LORD (Both equal descriptions of deity - cf. 1 Cor. 8:6)

When we worhip a God who manifests Himself in 3 modes, 1 God - 1 person, 1 God - a god (which would make a false God and a direct violation of the 1st commandment), then we don't and can't worship God in Spirit and in Truth. The end result is eternal punishment from the True God who will profess to them..."I NEVER Knew you!!!"

Love,
Madeline

:thumb:

• Members

All a sinner need concern himself with, is trusting in the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work.

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

• Members

Modalism is an INSULT to God, & I hope every Christian knows that, and preaches it in his/her witnessing to the lost!

Yes, I definitely tell each person I witness to the following, "My friend, you are a lost sinner and you need to know that Modalism is an INSULT to God and thou shalt be saved."

:smilie_loco:

• Members

Concerning what a lost sinner needs to know, Spurgeon said, speaking of election, not to worry oneself about all of that, if they see they need salvation, run to Jesus! I thought that was pretty good.

A "oneness" Pentecostal came up to my wife in the store, noticing her modest attire, and engaged her in conversation. Theie discussion eventually turned to doctrinal matters and my wife asked, frankly, "Do you believe I am not saved because I have not been bapitzed by the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues?" That is when the himhawing began. She basically said we need to speak to her husband who is the minister in their church.

How sad that the devil comes up with these kooky doctrines that divide.

Ben

• Members

Good for your wife, PB, for CONFRONTING a cultist by questioning the cultist's belief. My wife's brother's mom-in-law is a Oneness Pentecostal, the person with whom my wife discussed women wearing pants. (My wife wears pants guilt-free whenever.)

I had a long talk with her, as she tried to sway me from my anti-KJVO stance. So, I asked her, "Do you believe EVERY WORD of the KJV, exactly as written?" & she answered ' yes. So, I picked up her KJV & turned to

John 14:28 "Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."

as well as Matthew 3:13-17, Mark 1:9-11, Luke 3:21-22, & John 1;29-34.

In the gospel of John, he said he "bare record" of these things. This is VERY important, because under Roman law, this was equivalent to a sworn affidavit of today, with severe penalties for falsely bearing record.

She said she was sure there was some explanation, but that she'd hafta get back with me. That was a few weex ago, & I'm still waiting. I'll letcha know that she has to say when next I speak with her.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Here are a few Scriptures proving modalism false:

Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.(John 14:28, KJV)

And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.(Matthew 26:39, KJV)

9And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan.10And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:11And there came a voice from heaven, saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. (Mark 1:9-11, KJV)

21Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened,22And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased. (Luke 3:21-22, KJV)