• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Wild Foods You Enjoyed as a Kid and Maybe Still Do...

• Members

We had the following:::::::

***Dandelion greens prepared as we would endive, spinach or other dark leafy greens. Wilt/scorch lightly and serve with sweet 'n' sour bacon dressing and sliced hard-boiled eggs.

***Fried ground-hog (aka whistle pig, aka marmot, aka wood-chuck). This tastes exactly like rabbit but has a whole lot more meat.

***Squirrel pot-pie.

***Fried wild rabbit.

***Wild broccoli.

***Wild fox grapes.

***Wild June berries. They taste exactly like blueberries, but grow on trees.

***Wild blackberries.

***Black Raspberries if we could find them growing wild.

***Tayberries (aka Taeberries, aka wine-berries, aka wild red raspberries)

***Wild mulberries

• Members

We did a lot of hunting for meat when I was a kid.

We fried most of it:

Squirrel

Rabbit

Pheasant

Quail

Beaver

Deer (especially loved deer burger in chili and I love deer roast!)

We would also fish a lot:

Catfish

Carp

Crappie

Waleye

We would pick all sorts of wild berries:

Raspberries

Blackberries

And the best thing about spring was picking mushrooms! Clean 'em, cut 'em, dip 'em in egg and coat 'em with crackers and fry 'em up!!!

Now my Dad used to eat some things I didn't want, like:

Mountain Oysters

Hog brains

Raccoon

• Members

We ate wild blackberries and sometimes Dad would find morel mushrooms in our woods. We also ate wild strawberries and wild asparagus. Yum!!! I love asparagus. Someone mentioned hog brains. That isn't exactly wild food, but I don't even want to think about hog brains!!!!!!!! I definitely did not like those!!! I tasted an unripe persimmon once. Don't ever do that!!!!!!!! CJP56.

• Members
The only things I can think of are green wild onions from our yard - my dad would put them in scrambled eggs.

Maybe some berries but that is it.

I need to add those to my list. :Green

I especially like the flavor in the spring and fall when mowing the lawn when the wild onions are cut. That fragrance fills the air and smells delectable in the night air. :thumb :cool

My brother and I found a sizable patch of wild strawberries one time. We made those into jam (i.e. what was left of what we brought home. :lol::lol::lol: )

Wild mushrooms were too scary to experiment with. We know there are two types. Edible and LETHAL.

• Members
Someone mentioned hog brains. That isn't exactly wild food' date=' but I don't even want to think about hog brains!!!!!!!! I definitely did not like those!!! [/quote']
We raised our pigs only on vegetable metter and did not feed them strange chemical concoctions as many do today.Fried pig-brains from our pigs were indeed a delicacy but I would not want any of this modern stuff anymore. That was way back when men were men and smelled like horses. :lol::lol:

Persimmons do not get ripe up here until after the frost and then they can be as sweet as honey. :drool

• 3 months later...
  • Members

The only way I can tolerate venison is have it ground with some beef, then mix in a lot of onions and make burgers.

We had pheasant and squirrel and all different kinds of fish when we lived in Minnesota.

In Georgia we picked wild blackberries and muscadines and choke cherries. Mom would make jelly out of all of these. Yum!