• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

ARE CHRISTIANS DRIVING CHURCH NUMBERS DOWN?

• Members

ARE CHRISTIANS DRIVING CHURCH NUMBERS DOWN?

By Paul Proctor
April 4, 2009
NewsWithViews.com

The reports are everywhere now about the declining numbers of church members and baptisms ? especially among Southern Baptists; so much so that church leaders address it at almost every opportunity as if attempting to somehow spark a zeal in remaining members like a coach might do in the locker room of a losing team at halftime.

Everyone is trying to figure out what?s wrong.

This might come as a shock to many, but I would suggest that the answer here might just be nothing is wrong ? that those declining numbers that are troubling the pulpits of American churches right now may well be God?s will being carried out by His own being called out of a growing apostasy flourishing within them.

In no way am I condemning all established churches and religious institutions ? so don?t misquote me or suggest to anyone that that is what I am doing here. It is not. I am only pointing to another exodus obviously underway and the largely overlooked reasons for it.

Being the recipient of untold numbers of emails over the years from heartbroken readers who have left or been thrown out of their churches for taking a biblical stand on important issues has given me a perspective that many pulpiteers and pew warmers are not privy to. It is, unfortunately, the view of the majority that those who don?t run with the majority are backsliders.

I don?t agree.

You see, the majority functions on a false, yet implied premise, that God must operate within an established and recognized religious institution or it is not God. But, I would challenge that notion by simply pointing to the early church that was largely spurned and hated by the religious establishment of the day.

Were not the temple numbers also down because of The Way? Did it not trouble the religious leaders back then as well? Why do you think Saul was terrorizing Christians prior to his Damascus road encounter with the Lord ? because the numbers were up?

If God is in control, as so many of today?s church members are fond of saying ? then He must also be in control of the declining numbers.

Does this mass exodus serve the will of men or the will of God?

This is the question that must now be asked.

Consider the declining economy. Is it not our increasing debt that is causing it to falter and fail? If it is the unrestrained borrowing of money that has caused it, how then can borrowing more money in even greater quantities, solve it?

It can?t ? in spite of what the experts in charge now claim.

It?s not a ?stimulus package? ? it?s a suicide pact.

Now, consider the declining church numbers.

Is it not biblical compromise and carnal indulgence that has ultimately caused it ? pleasure palaces built with borrowed money to produce sensory circuses that can better compete with the world for your patronage and mine with watered-down gospel messages, coffee shop ministries, rock and roll worship and people-pleasing programs? If it is, then how can more biblical compromise and carnal indulgence solve it?

That?s right ? it can?t.

So, while pastors feverishly try to save their ministries (careers) and members try to save their churches (attendance), the exodus is steadily taking it all away ? away from the wishful thinking and wayward agendas of misguided men to the promised land of God?s provision where the rot and stench of spiritual death and decay is left behind for the Living Waters of truth, repentance and faith in Christ.

I find nothing in the bible about the importance of saving religious organizations or Christian ministries ? only lost souls. And feeding the flesh more of what it craves will simply not accomplish that.

"Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." ? Matthew 3:2

http://www.newswithviews.com/PaulProctor/proctor178.htm

Related articles:

1, Church Switchers, Change Agents & Agenda-Driven Surveys
2, Our Survey Said!
3, Repent!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The author is trying to say the reason some churches are losing members is because those churches have strayed from the firm foundation of Christ. He is saying that true Christians are leaving watered down churches. He is saying that churches that embrace entertainment and worldly activities in an attempt to draw crowds are actually driving true Bible-believing Christians out of their pews.

• Members

It may be a bit anecdotal, but when we moved from the Southern Baptist Church we were attending, at least four other families did as well. The church we are now going to is a Bible church, not part of a large denomination, therefore we would be in the numbers of the "dwindling members" because they would count us as having left a SBC, but not as having joined a church that isn't part of one of the big denominations. In that sense I see what the author is saying, although he does it a bit pejoratively.

• Members
The author is trying to say the reason some churches are losing members is because those churches have strayed from the firm foundation of Christ. He is saying that true Christians are leaving watered down churches. He is saying that churches that embrace entertainment and worldly activities in an attempt to draw crowds are actually driving true Bible-believing Christians out of their pews.

Amen.

• Members

The numbers are down because we are entering the "falling away" Paul mentioned. I've heard it's really bad in England. Less than one percent of the youth of that nation go to any church and most churches there are partially filled with nothing but old women. Hinduism was the fastest growing religion there until Islam took over. What can you do? Just make sure you stay faithful.

• Members

It is interesting though that from what I've read most people that look for religon or to go to another church actually look for something that has more rules and standards. So all these non/interdenominational churches are wrong in their approach. Liberal Union Theological Seminary is so empty now that they have leased parts of it out to Columbia University.

• Members
I guess I'm not seeing it' date=' seems to me the true churches are losing members faster than anyone else.[/quote']

In the case of true churches, they often lose members because only the truly faithful will remain there while the abundance of falling away churches are losing members due to the fact true Christians are leaving them.

Consider all the formerly good SBC churches which now have taken the watered-down road and are suffering decline. Consider the once Christ centered Methodist churches which today are open to nearly anything and are suffering decline in numbers.

Sadly, the number of true churches is becoming less and less and they are scattered about so that many true believers are not near them. This is one of the reasons new churches tend to fair better than attempts to change, restore, old churches.

• Members

Off the subject a little but not much.

One thing I don't understand. You can travel to some cities like Pensacola, FL or Lynchburg, VA and find pretty decent churches all over the place. You can go to some parts of Waynesboro, VA and find three churches in a row right on the same strecth of road. All these pastors will say that God told them to start a church there but what about places like Rome or Syracuse, NY, or really any city in the Northeast. You can drive in a hundred mile radius from Syracuse, NY and find maybe 2 or 3 bible believing churches. Why doesn't God call any of these preachers to go up there? Why have another IFB church planted in a city that already has 200 of them for a population of 75,000 when I can find you a city with only 1 church for a population of 200,000. I'm not saying that God didn't call these pastors to plant another church in that area but it would seem that all you'd be doing is stealing members from another church when you have plenty of souls to reach in another area.

• Members

England, was mentioned above. The nation that sent us Wesley and the preaching of Spurgeon. I heard last night there is about a 3% Christian population in England.

The answer for this was, a generation had failed to pass on the gospel. Further, that the generation past and my own generation failed in some basic duties to Christ to carry the gospel to the next generation.

My own answer for Europe and America would echo much of what was said above. There is a lack of power in the Christian community. It may be there is some individual true reliance on God's power personally, I even question this but, collectively as the church of Christ, we are weak as if defeated. I've heard from this board enough Gospel and fundamental truth to blast the devil out of America but, it stays here on this board.

Where is the LOUD call or out cry to fundamental Christianity in the midst of all that is occurring in the world. Listen closely friends, it is silence.

• Members
I've heard it's really bad in England. Less than one percent of the youth of that nation go to any church and most churches there are partially filled with nothing but old women.

I went to a church last night--a very big building for a large congregation--where two ministers were conducting a service for three people, all of whom must have been older than 60.

Many village churches have now closed and the congregation merged with the one in the next village. Other churches have dispensed with evensong and others don't do 8am communion. There's a United Reformed Church down my road that only meets once per month; another church whose members are entirely over 60 years old.

To me, it seems bizarre that none of these churches will cut their losses and merge with other declining churches in the area. Surely one less building is no bother if it means the Christians in that area begin working and worshiping together?

The church I went to last night had an evening congregation of three. But there are nine other churches of very similar denomination within 800 yards of that church!

Plus, if a denomination divides over something every 25 years or so, as many seem wont to do, then congregations will inevitably become smaller as churches become more fractured.

Exciting things are happening in Scotland though, from what I've heard.

• Members

I went to a church last night--a very big building for a large congregation--where two ministers were conducting a service for three people, all of whom must have been older than 60.

Many village churches have now closed and the congregation merged with the one in the next village. Other churches have dispensed with evensong and others don't do 8am communion. There's a United Reformed Church down my road that only meets once per month; another church whose members are entirely over 60 years old.

To me, it seems bizarre that none of these churches will cut their losses and merge with other declining churches in the area. Surely one less building is no bother if it means the Christians in that area begin working and worshiping together?

The church I went to last night had an evening congregation of three. But there are nine other churches of very similar denomination within 800 yards of that church!

Plus, if a denomination divides over something every 25 years or so, as many seem wont to do, then congregations will inevitably become smaller as churches become more fractured.

Exciting things are happening in Scotland though, from what I've heard.

Join forces and cooperate for the sake of the Gospel? Surely you jest? They'd have to admit that they are not 100% correct and compromise the 5% of those things they disagree upon...............how could they ever?