• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mormon Missionaries

• Members

A friend and I talked to two Mormon Missionaries who approached us as we worked on my sons truck. It turned into an hour + conversation. They got very interested when I told them I attended the Mormon Church as a boy. Their Joy left when I told them I was an Assistant Pastor of a Baptist Church. I have talked to many mormons and Mormon missionaries. They all have something different to say. The last one ( about a year ago) said the Book of Mormon was just a bunch of stories to help us understand the Bible. :loco

These guys had certain verses memorized which they quoted way way way out of context to fit baptism of the dead and the like. When I asked them to turn to the verse they refered to (1 Peter 4:6) they could not even find 1 Peter in the Bible, we had to show them.

They got mad and quit talking to us when we brought up the DNA results that have proven the Book of Mormon wrong as to where it says the nephites come from. They did not like that and exused themselves from the conversation.

They were shocked every time we would quote scripture to them, or correct thier error of teaching on a verse. They did not expect that at all.

It showed me the importance of keeping up on my scripture memory.

It broke my heart that these two boys have taken the lie hook, line, and sinker, based on what someone told them.

We challenged them to read John and Romans without the book of mormon and to pray for the wisdom of God for the truth, not what they think is truth. They said they would but I think thier answer was just to appease us.

It was exciting to witness to them but also very sad to watch them walk away in their errant belief.

• Members

It's a shame to see such dedication and committment to service to a false religion...especially when one looks about at how hard it can be to get Christians to do anything.

The last ones I encountered decided they were ready to leave when I told them I was Baptist...wonder why?

• Members

Not that I would ever ever ever try to chase the good inside of the bad. But look at how aggressively they go soulwinning.

I think its kinda hard to believe those dudes would go soulwinning regardless of whether it was -40

• Members

Your not rambling.

Their motivation is to earn their place in Heaven, they basically told us that. We just get lazy about soul winning in part because we do not have to earn our way to heaven. We should be doing it out of love and devotion to Christ. The Lord has convicted me on soul winning big time. Talk about a trip to the spiritual wood shed. :ooops

Guest Guest
Not that I would ever ever ever try to chase the good inside of the bad. But look at how aggressively they go soulwinning.

I think its kinda hard to believe those dudes would go soulwinning regardless of whether it was -40

• Members
Your not rambling.

Their motivation is to earn their place in Heaven, they basically told us that. We just get lazy about soul winning in part because we do not have to earn our way to heaven. We should be doing it out of love and devotion to Christ. The Lord has convicted me on soul winning big time. Talk about a trip to the spiritual wood shed. :ooops

So true a couple of Mormons came to my door the other day...but I was at home alone and I am a lady so I didn't want to open the door Mormon or not. But IT was 50 degrees outside that day and raining cats and dogs and here they were standing on my doorstep...convicted me.

• Members
It's because Christians know you don't have to work in order to obtain salvation...But these are trying to do so...which is absolutely no excuse for the backwardsness of some Christians

True.

It's a shame our love and thankfulness for our Lord and Saviour doesn't prompt us to be even more dedicated.

• Members

I just got informed that one of my friends just got baptised in the Mormon Faith and saying they can't have thier families there because the marriage in the Mormon church is not death to us part. Anyhow she don't want me to debate with her and this is the one that was Wiccan a few months ago. I just keep them in prayers and just show Christian love to people that disagrees with me.

• Members
I just got informed that one of my friends just got baptised in the Mormon Faith and saying they can't have thier families there because the marriage in the Mormon church is not death to us part. Anyhow she don't want me to debate with her and this is the one that was Wiccan a few months ago. I just keep them in prayers and just show Christian love to people that disagrees with me.

That's sad :sad

Will pray also :pray

• 1 month later...
  • Members
We live in an age where committment to religiion is just a given. When you ask someone if they know Jesus Christ the first thing that they will say is I am this religion or that religion. There are few that know what a relationship with Jesus Christ is all about.

Very sad, but very true. :sad

When trying to talk to someone about salvation it's so common to hear, "Well, I'm a Methodist...Catholic...Baptist...Lutheran...church member...choir member...Sunday School teacher...Christian....

They tend to not want to go beyond that initial profession. They also often get offended that their statement wasn't enough to make you smile and think highly of them.

• Members

So true John. Even evangelicals will think highly of these statements by church members. My in-laws go to a SBC church and my father-inlaw is the head deacon. This woman who is a leader in the church told me her testimony. She said she was Methodist and converted to Baptist about 15 yrs ago. I told my in-laws they didn't see a problem with this testimony and they told don't me don't judge. Taking the don't judge verse out of context has led to many lost members in leadership positions. No wonder the word evangelical pretty much means nothing today.