• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

John81

• Members
no facts' date=' i'm out of school!!!!![/quote']Oops, sorry :wink:lol:
Ha ha! No, but I won't say give you the info, I will say that both computer and the internet were invented because of one simple thing: war.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Nah, we aren't off topic (that happens all the time on OB, just get used to it :frog ), we are just asking who is older than the first (electric) computer--now raise your hands people who are: :duh

Just in case we get a few hands... I just want to point out that many computer courses start off with Blaise Pascal who invented the concept behind the computer. He invented the mechanical calculator in the 1600's. Some people go as far to say that this was the very first computer (though I don't go that far because I like wall-socket ones :frog ). Anyone older than the first (mechanical) computer??? Raise your hands!

• Members

The first telephone I ever remember seeing hung on the wall, had a thing on it you turned that made a ringing sound after you picked up the ear piece and held it to your ear, in a few moments an operator woudl say something.

But the time I got old enough to use a telephone we had a black one that set on a table. To call someone you picked up the receive and held it to you ear and mouth, in a bit the operator woudl say, "Number please," you would give her the number and she would ring them for you.

The 1st telephone I remember was 544W4. We were on a party line of 8. When the phone rang at our house it was for us if it rang 4 times, if it was 1, 2, or 3 it woudl not be for us.

The church mother, grandmother, sister, and I attended one of the deacons was on our party line. His wife talked on the telephone just about all day long. I remember well nearly ever time I picked up the receiver to call someone she would be talking.

And of course when someone was talking on the telephone they could tell the moment someone picked up. I can still here our deacons wife when I would pick it up, "I get tried of people picking up the phone every time I'm on it and eavesdropping on my conversations, I hope their ears are burning up." Of course the only way I could tell if someone was talking on our line was to pick up the receiver and listen for a few seconds.

Once I picked up the phone and called her, when she answered I asked her, Is Red was there." She replied, "Red who?" I said, "Red hot pepper, don't that just burn you up?" I felt like I had gotten a bit of revenge.

So I guess some would consider me to be old to remember such things as this.

• Administrators

Hmmm, IM4 - you must have lived in the deep country if you didn't have school buses until middle school. I'm just a tad older than you, and I rode the bus when I was in elementary school! Actually, there was a bus that picked us up when I was in kindergarten... :-S many years ago!!

Party lines - how fun. Not! It could get frustrating, and you could never really have a private conversation.

I'm older than the internet, but if computers started coming on the scene in 1942, I'm not older than the first computer!

• Members

All our schools were local neighborhood schools back then and we walked every morning and every afternoon - to and from. Parents did not drop us off or pick us up unless the school was on fire! Say if gas prices keep going higher, do you think we will finally see an end to forced bussing and a return to the local neighborhood schools?

• Members
All our schools were local neighborhood schools back then and we walked every morning and every afternoon - to and from. Parents did not drop us off or pick us up unless the school was on fire! Say if gas prices keep going higher' date=' do you think we will finally see an end to forced bussing and a return to the local neighborhood schools?[/quote']
Nahh....Our country will just go farther into debt.

• Administrators
All our schools were local neighborhood schools back then and we walked every morning and every afternoon - to and from. Parents did not drop us off or pick us up unless the school was on fire! Say if gas prices keep going higher' date=' do you think we will finally see an end to forced bussing and a return to the local neighborhood schools?[/quote']

Nah - the move is to consolidate more and more...and save tax $$$...but it doesn't save any money. In fact, it costs more. We are in the middle of a bunch of that nonsense right now. Wouldn't it be grand if it did, though? Hmmm - maybe homeschooling will become even more popular!!!