• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Home Schooling and how hard is it…

• Administrators

The level of difficulty would vary within each individual family. There are many considerations that go into homeschooling.

First would be the reason for it. We homeschooled because we believed that was what God would have us do. We later put him in school, but have to be honest that we came to regret that choice for reasons that are our own.  

The government school system is sadly lacking in true education, and that is another absolutely rock solid reason for homeschooling. My niece, who is not interested in biblical things, has asked me to homeschool her son (he is not yet born) because she does not want him subjected to the bullying and ill treatment she received in our "small town" school...plus she knows from my homeschooling her sister how much she learned in the 4 years of high school compared to the abysmal learning in the government school.

Another consideration is finances. Sadly, we live in a world that oftimes requires the wife to work at least part time. That can put a wrench in homeschooling, although there are co-op schools springing up due to the poor education received in government schools. 

There is also the consideration of curricula. There is a plethora out there, and much of it is geared to homeschoolers since that has risen so much. There is the choice of going with one curriculum or using an eclectic approach (that was what we did). Parents can choose to do the teaching (believe me when I say higher education is not necessary with most of the available curricula) or they can choose to use videos, of which there are many.

It is true that children need to be disciplined in order for homeschooling (or unschooling, depending upon which, ahem, school  of learning to which one is drawn) to work. But there are levels of discipline as well, and if a parent truly desires to homeschool because they believe it is best for their child(ren), things like discipline will be worked out as they progress in their homeschool experience.

Each state has different laws regarding homeschooling. IMO, it's not in the government's purview, so those laws (unless they are simply just that it's all up to the parents) are simply ways of government - doing what it does so well - overstepping their bounds and butting in to things which no constitution - state or fed - grants them permission.

Parents know their children better than anybody (no matter what people who push against homeschooling might try to say), and they know how their children learn. Not gonna lie - homeschooling is work. But it's work that works. (and I would say here that each set of parents must make the decision as to what is best for their individual family...whether or not it is homeschooling)

• Members
2 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

The level of difficulty would vary within each individual family. There are many considerations that go into homeschooling.

First would be the reason for it. We homeschooled because we believed that was what God would have us do. We later put him in school, but have to be honest that we came to regret that choice for reasons that are our own.  

The government school system is sadly lacking in true education, and that is another absolutely rock solid reason for homeschooling. My niece, who is not interested in biblical things, has asked me to homeschool her son (he is not yet born) because she does not want him subjected to the bullying and ill treatment she received in our "small town" school...plus she knows from my homeschooling her sister how much she learned in the 4 years of high school compared to the abysmal learning in the government school.

Another consideration is finances. Sadly, we live in a world that oftimes requires the wife to work at least part time. That can put a wrench in homeschooling, although there are co-op schools springing up due to the poor education received in government schools. 

There is also the consideration of curricula. There is a plethora out there, and much of it is geared to homeschoolers since that has risen so much. There is the choice of going with one curriculum or using an eclectic approach (that was what we did). Parents can choose to do the teaching (believe me when I say higher education is not necessary with most of the available curricula) or they can choose to use videos, of which there are many.

It is true that children need to be disciplined in order for homeschooling (or unschooling, depending upon which, ahem, school  of learning to which one is drawn) to work. But there are levels of discipline as well, and if a parent truly desires to homeschool because they believe it is best for their child(ren), things like discipline will be worked out as they progress in their homeschool experience.

Each state has different laws regarding homeschooling. IMO, it's not in the government's purview, so those laws (unless they are simply just that it's all up to the parents) are simply ways of government - doing what it does so well - overstepping their bounds and butting in to things which no constitution - state or fed - grants them permission.

Parents know their children better than anybody (no matter what people who push against homeschooling might try to say), and they know how their children learn. Not gonna lie - homeschooling is work. But it's work that works. (and I would say here that each set of parents must make the decision as to what is best for their individual family...whether or not it is homeschooling)

Thank you for sharing this important information. Have you ever run into a parent that sadly, did not have the proper education to teach her children. Can this be a stubbing block, for the growth of the child. I personally don’t know of anyone, but I imagine, that it could happen. Thanks

Edited by TheGloryLand

• Administrators
4 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

Thank you for sharing this important information. Have you ever run into a parent that sadly, did not have the proper education to teach her children. Can this be a stubbing block, for the growth of the child. I personally don’t know of anyone, but I imagine, that it could happen. Thanks

There are some prerequisites that would be necessary.

First, that the parent loves their child and wants the best for them.

Actually, that is the only one necessary...simply because there are far too many ways to homeschool. As I mentioned, there is co-op, there are videos (and those range from learning to read, cipher, and write all the way to graduation), and there are so many homeschooling groups that would be of help. 

Throughout our history there have been parents who have not "had the education" that so many today consider necessary, but they made sure their children received the education they themselves missed - by hiring tutors (which is a form of homeschooling) or even by themselves learning in order to teach their children. 

Now, as a Christian, I would say that the parent being in a healthy, growing relationship with the Lord is a requirement for Christian homeschooling. But there are MANY non-Christian folks around the country who homeschool. This is the reason that my one requisite would be love for their children and desiring what is best.

Added...to your question of whether or not I have ever run into a parent who hasn't had the education - yes, I have. But I've also met people who are determined to give their children the best. At one of the schools where I taught, one of the best teachers had never had formal education training. But, man, she was a gifted teacher! For Christians, God can indeed provide even intellectually. 

• Members
7 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

There are some prerequisites that would be necessary.

First, that the parent loves their child and wants the best for them.

Actually, that is the only one necessary...simply because there are far too many ways to homeschool. As I mentioned, there is co-op, there are videos (and those range from learning to read, cipher, and write all the way to graduation), and there are so many homeschooling groups that would be of help. 

Throughout our history there have been parents who have not "had the education" that so many today consider necessary, but they made sure their children received the education they themselves missed - by hiring tutors (which is a form of homeschooling) or even by themselves learning in order to teach their children. 

Now, as a Christian, I would say that the parent being in a healthy, growing relationship with the Lord is a requirement for Christian homeschooling. But there are MANY non-Christian folks around the country who homeschool. This is the reason that my one requisite would be love for their children and desiring what is best.

Added...to your question of whether or not I have ever run into a parent who hasn't had the education - yes, I have. But I've also met people who are determined to give their children the best. At one of the schools where I taught, one of the best teachers had never had formal education training. But, man, she was a gifted teacher! For Christians, God can indeed provide even intellectually. 

This do make much sense, and It went through my mine. Parents are also learning as they are preparing these lessons for their children.

Thanks

• Administrators

Heh...even though I have a plethora of homeschooling materials, I ordered a book today to check out and see if it's something I want to use when I teach my grandson and great nephew. Neither are even born yet. lol...but I like to be prepared. ?