• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

7 reasons why people leave church

• Members

7. Preacher is not friendly --- read the scriptural qualifications and duties of the pastor many times and I never saw that one.
6.Nothing for the kids --- The plan of salvation isnt in the message? Greatest thing kids of any age need.
5. Facilities are filthy --- go help clean them you lazy bum
4. All about money --- too cheap to tithe
3. Not exciting enough --- Go to a circus
2. I am not getting fed --- If you are right with God, the worst preacher in the world will feed you.
1. Somebody offended me Ps 119:165

Should have added "I am tired of hearing that stuff about getting saved

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The worse excuse I hate to hear, "I stopped going to church because I had a bad experience."

I tell them read;

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

John 1:11 (KJV)

And think of the bad experience our Savior had, but yet He still;

15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
John 10:15 (KJV)

8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8 (KJV)

And even while were were still His enemies Jesus still freely laid down His life on that cross that we might have life everlasting.

And yet you had a bad experience and you giving up serving Jesus in His very own Church? You know, when we were lost in our sins we were not very lovable. Sometimes it wakes them up if it doesn't it makes me think of this verse.

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
1 John 2:19 (KJV)

Where they even of us if they let a bad experience run the so far afar from the Savior and His Church?

• Members
I was listening to Greg Locke and he gave 7 reasons why people leave churches. This was according to "Christianity" Today.
7. Preacher is not friendly
6.Nothing for the kids
5. Facilities are filthy
4. All about money
3. Not exciting enough
2. I am not getting fed
1. Somebody offended me

One thing I realized, and Bro. Locke pointed out, was there wasn't one about heresy, apostasy, linking up with heretics or apsotates. What do you guys think about this list?

Much of professing Christianity in America is very worldly minded. They tend to be petty and rather self-centered. These issues do indeed have great influence upon most of them. They want a church to fit their wants, they want things their way. They don't look for a church that preaches the Word of God boldly, is interested in seeing all won to Christ, works to build up the local Body of Christ and leads the congregation into giving their all for the Kingdom of God.

Instead, they want a "comfortable" church where they don't have to worry about their pet sins being preached against, where no one is going to push being born again, where the congregation isn't expected to do any more than show up and put a few dollars in the plate.

They want the entertainment, the "programs" (not actual programs to lead the lost to Christ and edify those born again), programs like church sports leagues, fun stuff for the kids (not those boring Bible studies) like co-ed swimming parties, neat things for the women to do, etc.

• Members

Much of professing Christianity in America is very worldly minded. They tend to be petty and rather self-centered. These issues do indeed have great influence upon most of them. They want a church to fit their wants, they want things their way. They don't look for a church that preaches the Word of God boldly, is interested in seeing all won to Christ, works to build up the local Body of Christ and leads the congregation into giving their all for the Kingdom of God.

Instead, they want a "comfortable" church where they don't have to worry about their pet sins being preached against, where no one is going to push being born again, where the congregation isn't expected to do any more than show up and put a few dollars in the plate.

They want the entertainment, the "programs" (not actual programs to lead the lost to Christ and edify those born again), programs like church sports leagues, fun stuff for the kids (not those boring Bible studies) like co-ed swimming parties, neat things for the women to do, etc.

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
2 Tim 3:5 (KJV)

• Members

I am so tired of selfish Christianity. No where do I see in God's word that it is all about "me" and "my" wants................Why don't people ever join a church with the attiitude of; "What can I do? and; How can my famly and I be a blessing? "

Am I venting? Yes!
Am I sick and tired? Yes!

Do I want the Lord to return soon?
I SURELY DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members
7. Preacher is not friendly --- read the scriptural qualifications and duties of the pastor many times and I never saw that one.
6.Nothing for the kids --- The plan of salvation isnt in the message? Greatest thing kids of any age need.
5. Facilities are filthy --- go help clean them you lazy bum
4. All about money --- too cheap to tithe
3. Not exciting enough --- Go to a circus
2. I am not getting fed --- If you are right with God, the worst preacher in the world will feed you.
1. Somebody offended me Ps 119:165

Should have added "I am tired of hearing that stuff about getting saved

:amen::amen: :amen:

Guest Guest

I can't remember where I heard this quote: "God is not concerned about our comfort...He is interested in building our character." I think this might apply here.

candlelight

• Members

Can I add a dissenting opinion (I know... shocking).

Frankly, most people joining a church know and accept the doctrinal position of the church. This is very rarely an unknown (constitutions and By-laws and all), and very rarely do churches significantly change their doctrinal position. So the fact that people did not leave because of doctrine seems rather obvious. In fact, to assume people should leave on a regular basis over doctrine means either the people are being moved by every wind of doctrine, or churches are not solidly rooted.

What is an unknown in joining a new church is how godly the people are as evidenced by their love for one another. I am hardly surprised that the list is what it is. People make up the church, and frankly, I do not want me or my family surrounded by ungodly people each week.

• Administrators

Frankly, most people joining a church know and accept the doctrinal position of the church. This is very rarely an unknown (constitutions and By-laws and all), and very rarely do churches significantly change their doctrinal position. So the fact that people did not leave because of doctrine seems rather obvious. In fact, to assume people should leave on a regular basis over doctrine means either the people are being moved by every wind of doctrine, or churches are not solidly rooted.

What is an unknown in joining a new church is how godly the people are as evidenced by their love for one another. I am hardly surprised that the list is what it is. People make up the church, and frankly, I do not want me or my family surrounded by ungodly people each week.

:goodpost:

• Members

I think this is an excellent comment and goes toward explaining why there are so many different denominations and even different denominations within each denomination. If people would work on changing what's wrong with their church rather than running off and starting another church when something goes wrong, I think a lot more would be accomplished. I can't readily recall the verse, but didn't Jesus command us to not divide his body?

• Members

My husband is a Pastor. Our church is very small. He works 40 hours a week in a regular job. We have had alot of people through who have been on welfare etc. We have poured our lives into people; opened up our home etc, etc, etc......... Then to have them turn around and leave us. It is heart breaking.
My husband is a good teacher. He preaches God's word straight every Sunday. He does not put on a "show". He is the muscian ( he plays hymns on guitar ). We have no piano player at the moment; though our oldest daughter is learning.
We don't do everything right. We are not perfect people; but we love the Lord and He is changing us into His image.
We never coveted to enter the ministry. The Lord led us here. We are simply trying to be obedient; that is all.

So where does a man go from here?

• Members
I am so tired of selfish Christianity. No where do I see in God's word that it is all about "me" and "my" wants................Why don't people ever join a church with the attiitude of; "What can I do? and; How can my famly and I be a blessing? "

Am I venting? Yes!
Am I sick and tired? Yes!

Do I want the Lord to return soon?
I SURELY DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:amen:

• Members
My husband is a Pastor. Our church is very small. He works 40 hours a week in a regular job. We have had alot of people through who have been on welfare etc. We have poured our lives into people; opened up our home etc, etc, etc......... Then to have them turn around and leave us. It is heart breaking.
My husband is a good teacher. He preaches God's word straight every Sunday. He does not put on a "show". He is the muscian ( he plays hymns on guitar ). We have no piano player at the moment; though our oldest daughter is learning.
We don't do everything right. We are not perfect people; but we love the Lord and He is changing us into His image.
We never coveted to enter the ministry. The Lord led us here. We are simply trying to be obedient; that is all.

We are called to do whatever the Lord leads us to do. Sometimes we see the good fruit which comes from God has us do, sometimes we see the crops grown and we witness a grand harvest. However, sometimes we don't see any of this. There are times the Lord leads us not so there will be a great harvest, but rather so that our rightly serving Him may be used as a testimony against those who reject Him. Sometimes the Lord leads us to be a planter who never sees the harvest, or the waterer who never sees how the crop turns out.

Whatever the case may be, obedience to the will of God is what's important. We are to obey God and trust the outcome to Him.

• Members

Lee-Anne, You and hubby just keep on keeping on, I pastor a small country church, as long as we are proclaiming God's true Word and running our life properly and doing all the right things, after that all we can do is leave the rest up to God and the Holy Spirit.