• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are Drums allowed in your church yet…

TheGloryLand
Go to solution Solved by Pastor Matt,

• Members

As time goes bye, churches are opening up to adding drums and more to the worship. I brought this up once before, but I am open to drums and more, instruments. Maybe others jump on the bandwagon by now. Chances are not always good, but Hymnal only, we are loosing ground. Do I support Hymns, absolutely. But I am thinking of the future church worship, and where it is going. Trying to keep the youths in its churches. Drumming Rolling Stones GIF

• Members

Drums have been in our church for as long as we've been members. I see nothing wrong with drums in the church as long as they're not the prominent instrument as far as a "driving beat." In the past, it has been, on occasion. Some of our members, including me, have gone to the pastor about this, and it was toned down, but, it had always seemed to creep back up, especially since it was the assistant pastor who was the drummer. Instrumentation of any kind, in and of itself, is not nefarious.

Edited by BrotherTony

• Members
2 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Drums have been in our church for as long as we've been members. I see nothing wrong with drums in the church as long as they're not the prominent instrument as far as a "driving beat." In the past, it has been, on occasion. Some of our members, including me, have gone to the pastor about this, and it was toned down, but, it had always seemed to creep back up, especially since it was the assistant pastor who was the drummer. Instrumentation of any kind, in and of itself, is not nefarious.

The church I am attending, has the drummer playing behind a clear shield, or sound reducer. I believe it helps 

• Members
1 hour ago, TheGloryLand said:

The church I am attending, has the drummer playing behind a clear shield, or sound reducer. I believe it helps 

Our new drummer since the assistant pastor became pastor of another church in the area is a bit more subdued. The only contestation that I have with it being used is that it is SELDOM used in the CCM, but is always added to the hymns to "jazz it up" for the younger generations. It's become so common that most in the older generations don't sing any longer. I can understand their frustration. 

• Administrators
  • Solution
2 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I'm on in agreement with you. I prefer not to have them, just because I don't want it to become a temptation to move in the wrong direction. I think sometimes it becomes too easy when you start adding drums to the music and then head down an ungodly direction.

Certain drums I wouldn't mind having in my church like ones used in an orchestra or band, but I'll stay away from the ones that look like rock musicians where they constantly drive the beat. 

• Members

Today, I compare drums in a church with members that clap in the church, after a performance or a preaching. It’s pretty similar some people excepted, and some don’t care much for it.. I understand that God get the glory, not man. I play in the group, and understand that many times the drummer and the piano are the main leaders to any song. The singers, should be the main voices, with words of truth. Instruments can overpower the voices, and words. This should not happen, anywhere.

• Members
3 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

Today, I compare drums in a church with members that clap in the church, after a performance or a preaching. It’s pretty similar some people excepted, and some don’t care much for it.. I understand that God get the glory, not man. I play in the group, and understand that many times the drummer and the piano are the main leaders to any song. The singers, should be the main voices, with words of truth. Instruments can overpower the voices, and words. This should not happen, anywhere.

I don't believe many church members applaud as a form of praise to man, but as an affirmation that they agree, and are praising God. Also, having drums in the church isn't wrong....they way some play them IS. The Bible tells us in Psalm 150 this....

Psalm 150:5-6 King James Version 5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. 6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord.

Psalm 150:4 King James Version 4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Uh oh! We're not praising him in the dance. Something else to think about. 

• Members
4 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

I don't believe many church members applaud as a form of praise to man, but as an affirmation that they agree, and are praising God. Also, having drums in the church isn't wrong....they way some play them IS. The Bible tells us in Psalm 150 this....

Psalm 150:5-6 King James Version 5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. 6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord.

Psalm 150:4 King James Version 4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Dance? I’m out of here…See You Later Goodbye GIF

• Members
13 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

We currently don't have any instrument but piano (and sometimes not that). Interestingly enough, the piano is a percussion instrument (as well as string)...it keeps time in the same way the drum is designed to do.

Thanks. I play the piano, and used to play for several of the churches we've attended. I started playing when I was 9 years old and learned to play by listening to the radio.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

On 2/27/2023 at 12:23 PM, BrotherTony said:

We have a very energetic toddler in our church who fulfills this direction when her parents are distracted. ? 

I play the organ, and have been nonplussed recently by a couple of new members comparing it to a bass guitar. One guy told me he likes the organ because the foot pedal reminds him of the bass, and another one (who is apparently learning the bass guitar) has been watching & asking me how the pedals are played.  I don't terribly love the comparison... 

(P.S. TGL - in the title - its allowed, not aloud. Although drums are pretty loud.)

• Members
On 3/13/2023 at 9:04 AM, Salyan said:

We have a very energetic toddler in our church who fulfills this direction when her parents are distracted. ? 

I play the organ, and have been nonplussed recently by a couple of new members comparing it to a bass guitar. One guy told me he likes the organ because the foot pedal reminds him of the bass, and another one (who is apparently learning the bass guitar) has been watching & asking me how the pedals are played.  I don't terribly love the comparison... 

(P.S. TGL - in the title - its allowed, not aloud. Although drums are pretty loud.)

Thanks, they don’t let members correct the spelling here after so many minutes. Or they don’t allow me to. ?