• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"I changed Bible Versions For my Kids" -

• Administrators

Bryan Samms recently transitioned his church from the KJV to a modern version. While he has every right to do that, he seems like he was secretive to his church, and also his reasoning just doesn't make a lick of sense.  If you have time, take a look.

• Members

The KJV is the modern one.  ALL of the others are based on the fraudulent Sinaiticus written in 1844.

Lost people don't understand the scriptures.  They want their ears tickled.  These fools did the tickling.  Not much discernment there.  Six minutes in and am done with these Andy Stanley types.

• Members
3 hours ago, swathdiver said:

The KJV is the modern one.  ALL of the others are based on the fraudulent Sinaiticus written in 1844.

Lost people don't understand the scriptures.  They want their ears tickled.  These fools did the tickling.  Not much discernment there.  Six minutes in and am done with these Andy Stanley types.

He's FAR from an Andy Stanley type. Again..your opinion, and you're entitled to it. 

Edited by BrotherTony

• Administrators

I really don't like how Samms went about this. In other videos, he hints that he took over the church to secretly transition it. If he felt the strongly about this, he should have just started his own church. Feels too deceiving and almost cultish in the methods he admittedly used. 

But with all that said, he's the one that has answered to God. Just like I have to answer to God on how I run the church he has placed me in. 

• Members
3 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

I really don't like how Samms went about this. In other videos, he hints that he took over the church to secretly transition it. If he felt the strongly about this, he should have just started his own church. Feels too deceiving and almost cultish in the methods he admittedly used. 

But with all that said, he's the one that has answered to God. Just like I have to answer to God on how I run the church he has placed me in. 

If the church let him do it, even if he was doing it "on the sly," then they're just as culpable. We had a pastor in a church that Vivian and I helped start in Augusta, GA back in 1983, where the pastor was elected from Bob Jones University. He told us he was a King James Bible believer, yet, on the Christmas of 1984, every family received a copy of the NIV, and the inscription said that this was his Bible of choice and that he hoped we would read IT faithfully. UGH! We left that church after it became apparent that this wasn't the only thing he was trying to change. Many of the founding members left with us. 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

If the church let him do it, even if he was doing it "on the sly," then they're just as culpable. We had a pastor in a church that Vivian and I helped start in Augusta, GA back in 1983, where the pastor was elected from Bob Jones University. He told us he was a King James Bible believer, yet, on the Christmas of 1984, every family received a copy of the NIV, and the inscription said that this was his Bible of choice and that he hoped we would read IT faithfully. UGH! We left that church after it became apparent that this wasn't the only thing he was trying to change. Many of the founding members left with us. 

From listening to Brother Bryan's podcasts, it seems this situation is similar to yours. The only difference is it seems he changed other things first so that the KJV folks would leave to make it an easier transition to change versions. To be honest I really don't care what version they use as I'm not part of that Church, but it just seems so deceitfully done. 

• Members
10 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

From listening to Brother Bryan's podcasts, it seems this situation is similar to yours. The only difference is it seems he changed other things first so that the KJV folks would leave to make it an easier transition to change versions. To be honest I really don't care what version they use as I'm not part of that Church, but it just seems so deceitfully done. 

I agree. We found out that this "pastor" had been using the NIV for a short while at BJU, and that he had been pushing it there as well behind the scenes. It's a shame when the people who are in our pulpits feel they have to be deceptive, and are doing so to the detriment of Christians.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

As a judge, which, sometimes I do first of all, I wouldn’t listen to any pastor that comes to interview in a T-shirt. It wouldn’t surprise me, if his church doesn’t even have the Christian flag or American flag in it. I don’t know this Pastor, never heard him preach, but right off, he looks contemporary. These preachers or pastors that make changes, like I’m no longer KJ are the ones that will open first to the LGBTQ movement, for marriage. Looking for Fame. They do have the members to back them up.

• Members
3 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

As a judge, which, sometimes I do first of all, I wouldn’t listen to any pastor that comes to interview in a T-shirt

John 7:24 KJV Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment. KJV

. It wouldn’t surprise me, if his church doesn’t even have the Christian flag or American flag in it.

Having an American or Christian flag isn't a requirement for a church. It doesn't affect worship one way or the other. 

I don’t know this Pastor, never heard him preach, but right off, he looks contemporary.

John 7:24 KJV Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment. KJV

These preachers or pastors that make changes, like I’m no longer KJ are the ones that will open first to the LGBTQ movement, for marriage. Looking for Fame. They do have the members to back them up.

May I ask why you're so negative towards others that don't share your viewpoint? I know many pastors who have gone to other translations of the Bible who are living just as strong of Christian lives as those using the KJV...and some EVEN BETTER. Having a KJV doesn't make someone superior in worship. And trying to limit what God can and will use is unacceptable. 

Philippian 1:15-18

15  Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:

16  The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:

17  But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.

18  What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

• Members
17 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

Rather you like it or not, Christians judge other. This is not done for pleasure.

Did you mean "whether?" Yes, Christians do judge others, but those who are truly concerned judge righteous judgment and know the difference between rabble-rousing and just trying to be controversial. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 2/20/2023 at 5:53 PM, PastorMatt said:

Bryan Samms recently transitioned his church from the KJV to a modern version. While he has every right to do that, he seems like he was secretive to his church, and also his reasoning just doesn't make a lick of sense.  If you have time, take a look.

Pastor Matt - I watched the video but I've never heard of this Pastor before. Is he considered IFB?

While listening to him I specifically looking for his reasoning because like you said he has every right to change it in his congregation.

I agree with you that his reasoning behind it doesn't make sense.

My son attended an IFB school that used some Abeka curriculum and the KJV I don't personally recall having any issues with my son not being understand the KJV references.

IF the KJV is so difficult for kids to understand now Im surprised they haven't had to make a revision of the Charlie Brown Christmas Special using another version of when he quotes Luke 2. I never read any Bible as a kid but Charlie Brown's quote about what Christmas was really about wasn't difficult to understand.

I have a couple work books I collected over the years when I was going to a Church of God and attend a Sunday school class. In those workbooks when scripture was used it was always the NIV/KJV side by side. The NIV was the the first Bible I owned and became familiar with but I remember feeling like I understood the KJV more clearly than the NIV. So I disagree with him when he implies he had to change translations to save the next generation in pews understanding of the Bible.

He apparently attended a church that was KJV only to the point where he or his kids felt like they were in "trouble" for using another translation. I have not experienced that so it's hard to relate with that point as a reason for his change.

I've attended KJV IFB churches where ONLY the KJV was used from the pulpit or in Sunday school material but it was hardly a sin or something negative to reference another decent translation.

• Administrators
On 3/16/2023 at 3:49 PM, Disciple.Luke said:

Pastor Matt - I watched the video but I've never heard of this Pastor before. Is he considered IFB?

Bryan Samms used be be IFB, but changed because his kids wanted to use a different version. The biggest problem I have with Samms is that he a conviction against his members using the KJV.