• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Saved at the door, but doesn't want to come to church?

• Members

Yes, I have...Sad to say that most often this person's decision was made with little or no repentence or desire to have something better. There are some, however, who truly got saved. They'll grow, but slowly. I've seen it happen many times, though it's not the norm.

• Administrators

Yes, I've seen it many times. I actually see it in churches where they just repeat a prayer to get saved. I visited a church before where there was about 50 people there and in the bulletin it said that 150 were saved yesterday soulwinning. 

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Yes, I've seen it many times. I actually see it in churches where they just repeat a prayer to get saved. I visited a church before where there was about 50 people there and in the bulletin it said that 150 were saved yesterday soulwinning. 

Sadly, this is what "easy believism" is all about...numbers.

• Members
45 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Sadly, this is what "easy believism" is all about...numbers.

The first Bible college I went to, run by an IFB church, practiced this. I always hated it, and I tried to make sure that only sincere people were saying a prayer. I was told to "disregard" my scruples and let anyone who wanted to say a prayer do so. It was hard, and when that was about to occur, I let the one with me lead in prayer. UGH!

• Members
On 2/18/2023 at 11:13 PM, Donut_brand_donuts said:

Has anyone here ever had someone get saved only to not want to come to church after or be involved in anything?

Its a little disheartening in some respects but on the other hand they will be in heaven (yet so as by fire).

Yea, we used to set up a table in a park or city Square, offering drinks without charge in return for going thru a survey leading to a gospel presentation.   

We saw a lot of people profess faith in Christ, which is great.. but very very few who would turn up at church. 

A lot of people likely just wanted a drink.  Others maybe actually did believe,  but weren't interested in church.

I'm not a fan of decrying the sinners prayer.  Romans 10:9-10 shows a sinners prayer.

I know it isn't just.. 'repeat after me.. '

But it can be a prayer. And is instant when God saves someone.

• Members
12 hours ago, MikeWatson1 said:

Yea, we used to set up a table in a park or city Square, offering drinks without charge in return for going thru a survey leading to a gospel presentation.   

We saw a lot of people profess faith in Christ, which is great.. but very very few who would turn up at church. 

A lot of people likely just wanted a drink.  Others maybe actually did believe,  but weren't interested in church.

I'm not a fan of decrying the sinners prayer.  Romans 10:9-10 shows a sinners prayer.

I know it isn't just.. 'repeat after me.. '

But it can be a prayer. And is instant when God saves someone.

Amen 

I realized last week when we were out going door to door that, more than direct opposition, I find the apathy bothers me the most.

I have no right to be bothered by it, having grown up in this millennial generation, in the wretched world system I was far too acquainted with spiritual apathy in myself. But after the Lord saved me, the apathy especially from many Christians who seem to care about nothing less than doing the things of God, blows my mind. If only every Christian cared 25% more, imagine the revival that would take place. I am not even talking about being particularly righteous in living, just care enough to acknowledge the battle and start pointing others to Christ as the solution to ALL our problems and let God do a work in our world.

Direct opposition, at least they have a concern for something, at least they are willing to engage and be challenged in their world view, and when we can get past the heart issue those are the people who become zealous for the things of God.

How did you like setting u a table in a park/square? I've thought about doing that, I am not familiar with the mechanics of booth side evangelism, any experiences you can share, dos and donts? Books perhaps? Of course once you get someone one on one it's the pure gospel, I more mean leading up to that, do I need to get permits what kind of signage did you use etc?

• Members
17 hours ago, Donut_brand_donuts said:

Amen 

I realized last week when we were out going door to door that, more than direct opposition, I find the apathy bothers me the most.

I have no right to be bothered by it, having grown up in this millennial generation, in the wretched world system I was far too acquainted with spiritual apathy in myself. But after the Lord saved me, the apathy especially from many Christians who seem to care about nothing less than doing the things of God, blows my mind. If only every Christian cared 25% more, imagine the revival that would take place. I am not even talking about being particularly righteous in living, just care enough to acknowledge the battle and start pointing others to Christ as the solution to ALL our problems and let God do a work in our world.

Direct opposition, at least they have a concern for something, at least they are willing to engage and be challenged in their world view, and when we can get past the heart issue those are the people who become zealous for the things of God.

How did you like setting u a table in a park/square? I've thought about doing that, I am not familiar with the mechanics of booth side evangelism, any experiences you can share, dos and donts? Books perhaps? Of course once you get someone one on one it's the pure gospel, I more mean leading up to that, do I need to get permits what kind of signage did you use etc?

We had to contact the city council to use the city Square. It cost a little to use an area there. 

We also set up a table at an outdoor market area. That cost a bit more,  but there was plenty of people around to talk to.

So you don't commit some kind of offense, I'd check the local by laws about what to do to have a table in s public space.   Here in Christchurch NZ, if it wasn't the city Square or a market.. we could set up a table at any park, and it cost nothing. Especially effective setting up by a skate park.

We had a sign set up.. advertising the drink for a survey.  The survey was general questions about life. The last question about whether they wanted to hear about Jesus.   

We also had chairs set up so people could sit and chat.

I would be careful setting up close to vendors.. they would likely get anti at having possible customers getting free stuff.  Also if they are anti Christian they may do some under hand tactics. But guess that's normal. 

The tract we had with the gospel presentation was a bit like the 4 spiritual laws from campus crusade.. except the emphasis wasn't on changing all areas of life.. and then God saves you..  but God saving you and as you are.. warts and all. The changed life happening as a response.. but not the means of salvation. 

Hope this is useful 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 2/18/2023 at 5:04 PM, PastorMatt said:

They are obviously not saved. We do not accept any in our church who say they are saved but don't show signs of repentance and regeneration. 

• Members
On 2/18/2023 at 5:13 AM, Donut_brand_donuts said:

Has anyone here ever had someone get saved only to not want to come to church after or be involved in anything?

Its a little disheartening in some respects but on the other hand they will be in heaven (yet so as by fire).

This is where discipling and following up comes on hand. I remember reading a book, I think it was called Once Saved Now What. It was a small pamphlet very good. Or Christians first steps. These pamphlet had to do with disciple new Christians.