• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Salvation vs Fellowship

• Members

I was attending an IFB church when I first heard that being Saved and having spiritual fellowship with God were two different things.

If I understood correctly that although once saved that salvation is secure BUT an unrepentant sin could cause a break in fellowship with God.

It was explained to me that Jesus redeemed physical and spiritual death on the cross. The spiritual death was paid when the father turned away from son during hours 12-3 pm...when Jesus cried out asking why God had forsaken him.

On the surface it does make sense since Adam and Even died a spiritual death first and physical death later.

What I couldn't understand was how salvation for physical death couldn't be lost but somehow fellowship with God could be lost over any common sin?

I don't hear much discussion on this doctrine but it doesn't appear to me that every Baptist church has this same belief.

Is this a belief in your current or past churches?

Edited by Disciple.Luke

• Members

DL, God can't look at sin or accept it in the lives of those who follow Christ. Does this mean he stops loving his children? Certainly not. It does mean, however, that just as a child who transgresses against his parent is "in the doghouse" with his parent, we, as his child are "at odds" with what he wants for our lives.  I know that you already know this.

Now, as far as all churches I've been in teaching/preaching this...I would have to say "Yes." It seems to be the truth taught in the Bible, and we both know that we can't change the truth of God's word. 

• Members
2 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

DL, God can't look at sin or accept it in the lives of those who follow Christ. Does this mean he stops loving his children? Certainly not. It does mean, however, that just as a child who transgresses against his parent is "in the doghouse" with his parent, we, as his child are "at odds" with what he wants for our lives.  I know that you already know this.

Now, as far as all churches I've been in teaching/preaching this...I would have to say "Yes." It seems to be the truth taught in the Bible, and we both know that we can't change the truth of God's word. 

Thank you for your input Tony.

When Jesus is quoting Psalm 22 is this a sign he could sense the father had withdrawn his presence or is he simply still teaching even as he is crucified?

I have heard it interpreted both ways depending on the idea of losing spiritual fellowship.

• Members
33 minutes ago, Disciple.Luke said:

Thank you for your input Tony.

When Jesus is quoting Psalm 22 is this a sign he could sense the father had withdrawn his presence or is he simply still teaching even as he is crucified?

I have heard it interpreted both ways depending on the idea of losing spiritual fellowship.

I believe it's both....I believe that even though Christ knew it would happen that he was truly distressed by his father turning his back on the sin he was bearing and taking upon himself. I believe he's also teaching us that sin separates. I don't believe that there was ever a time in Christ's ministry when he wasn't teaching either verbally or by example. 

• Members
6 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

I believe it's both....I believe that even though Christ knew it would happen that he was truly distressed by his father turning his back on the sin he was bearing and taking upon himself. I believe he's also teaching us that sin separates. I don't believe that there was ever a time in Christ's ministry when he wasn't teaching either verbally or by example. 

Good point.

I wasn't trying to challenge your answer or anything.

I'm just genuinely curious how people interpret this topic.

Thanks brother.

Edited by Disciple.Luke

• Members
3 hours ago, Disciple.Luke said:

Good point.

I wasn't trying to challenge your answer or anything.

I'm just genuinely curious how people interpret this topic.

Thanks brother.

No worries. I didn't think it was a challenge. Blessings, my friend.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

1 Corinthians 3:1-5   And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.  2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.  3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?  4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?  5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

It appears that the brethren can be carnal.