• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Worship At The 3x5 Inch (or larger) god

• Members

Facebook would ask me, "What's on your mind, David?"

Sadly, I have some reservations about putting it out on Facebook. Or at least not yet!

I hope I'm not speaking of anyone here but, please, no replies in the form of excuses.

How many Christians are following the world's example of continual 'smart phone', computer laptop/desktop, or TV screen use? This is where the world is worshipping their god. Their god of progress technology consumes them, and they are worshipping at it's alter. Their god controls nearly every aspect of their lives. They burn their dinner, they have accidents, they ignore the people they love, they risk almost anything to get to their god.

Praise my God, that he has kept me from the need to affix my every move, thought or action before the throne of tv, computer, or phone.

• Members

Technology isn't the problem...it's the heart of the individual that is. Many use FB and other Social Media outlets for communication, dialogue, and even for witnessing. If we pull out of all venues we'll have no witness to the lost. So many try to cut cloister themselves from the world that they cannot be an effective witness.

• Members
On 1/12/2023 at 1:02 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

Some people use them to communicate. Some for work. Some for preparing sermons/

Jim, some use technology more than they should, and they stop using and begin being used by the technology. When they neglect the people and circumstances God has placed in their lives a reassessment is in order. I use technology but refuse to make it my alter for worship. What is common among the worldly is not uncommon among Christians, we are after all susceptible to the same temptations (1 Corinthians 10:13).

On 1/12/2023 at 6:18 AM, BrotherTony said:

Technology isn't the problem...it's the heart of the individual that is. Many use FB and other Social Media outlets for communication, dialogue, and even for witnessing. If we pull out of all venues we'll have no witness to the lost. So many try to cut cloister themselves from the world that they cannot be an effective witness.

Tony, the abuse in use of technology is a problem. The medical professions have recognized a growing addiction for cell phone use and an increase in children's addiction as a result. Anything we put before worship of God is a detriment. My caveat above was, "How many Christians are following the world's example of continual 'smart phone', computer laptop/desktop, or TV screen use?" Colossians 2:8 "Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ."

• Members
4 minutes ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Jim, some use technology more than they should, and they stop using and begin being used by the technology. When they neglect the people and circumstances God has placed in their lives a reassessment is in order. I use technology but refuse to make it my alter for worship. What is common among the worldly is not uncommon among Christians, we are after all susceptible to the same temptations (1 Corinthians 10:13).

Tony, the abuse in use of technology is a problem. The medical professions have recognized a growing addiction for cell phone use and an increase in children's addiction as a result. Anything we put before worship of God is a detriment. My caveat above was, "How many Christians are following the world's example of continual 'smart phone', computer laptop/desktop, or TV screen use?" Colossians 2:8 "Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ."

Nobody is denying that there is a growing problem with the use of technology and the addiction it CAN cause. It doesn't necessarily mean it WILL happen. Some people seem to find the negative in anything they can. There is such a thing as balance, and I'm sure many here, including yourself, that use a balanced approach. Your exhortation to beware is greatly appreciated and should be heeded, especially in those who exhibit addictive behaviors. 

• Members
On 1/14/2023 at 8:42 AM, BrotherTony said:

Nobody is denying that there is a growing problem with the use of technology and the addiction it CAN cause. It doesn't necessarily mean it WILL happen. Some people seem to find the negative in anything they can. There is such a thing as balance, and I'm sure many here, including yourself, that use a balanced approach. Your exhortation to beware is greatly appreciated and should be heeded, especially in those who exhibit addictive behaviors. 

Tony, you seem to have labels (negative) for everyone, and most thoughts people present; or those you take issue with. I don't suppose you think warning of the impending doom of the world is very positive either but, the fact remains Jesus taught us about its demise. Don't take things too personally or I might believe I've touched a nerve. Thank you for your comment.

• Members
16 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Tony, you seem to have labels (negative) for everyone, and most thoughts people present; or those you take issue with. I don't suppose you think warning of the impending doom of the world is very positive either but, the fact remains Jesus taught us about its demise. Don't take things too personally or I might believe I've touched a nerve. Thank you for your comment.

Please, prove your assertion. You seem to have a lot of negative opinions yourself. Thanks for your comment. Have a nice day, Brother. ?

• Members
On 1/16/2023 at 7:31 AM, BrotherTony said:

Please, prove your assertion. You seem to have a lot of negative opinions yourself. Thanks for your comment. Have a nice day, Brother. ?

Possibly a little hyperbole... It was meant for "or those you take issue with". Calm down.  You just throw around that word "negative" unsparingly.

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members
10 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Possibly a little hyperbole... It was meant for "or those you take issue with". Calm down.  You just throw around that word "negative" unsparingly.

Image result for Rolling Eyes GIF. Size: 291 x 165. Source: tenor.com

Your opinion, and I'd never try to take that from you....I'm quite calm, sir. Thanks. ?