• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Liberals' Bane

• Members

Okay, an undefined forum topic ... so here's a go at furnishing the subject matter.

Would 'liberals bane' be patriotic conservatism? And I'm curious if anyone equates patriotic conservatism with Christianity.

For instance - I've been to scores of Baptist churches that prominently display an American flag in the sanctuary. I questioned one church why they kept the American flag in the santuary and suggested that it had no part in the worship of God. They responded as if I wanted to remove Jesus from the congregation.

Does your church keep an American flag in the sanctuary, and why?

• Administrators

We do not have an American flag in our auditorium. I personally have no problem with a church having the flag from the country they are in (unless it's worshiped) on the stage, I just find it tacky and needless in the front of the auditorium. 

• Members
4 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

We do not have an American flag in our auditorium. I personally have no problem with a church having the flag from the country they are in (unless it's worshiped) on the stage, I just find it tacky and needless in the front of the auditorium. 

I've only been a member of one church that had the American flag on the platform. I'm not against it as long as it doesn't become a "god." The focus of our worship is Jesus Christ. 

• Members
4 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I've only been a member of one church that had the American flag on the platform. I'm not against it as long as it doesn't become a "god." The focus of our worship is Jesus Christ. 

Same here. That church had the American and the Baptist Flag both on the podium to either side. I don't recall anyone ever giving them (either one) even a thought. 

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Salyan said:

That's such an American thing! Canadian churches don't do that by and large.... I've seen it in just a couple churches pastored by recent American implants.  

Was it an American flag that they had in a Canadian Church? If so, that is a little too much for me. 

Stephen Colbert America GIF by GQ

@Theopolitan Don't know why you ran. Just because we use the KJV doesn't mean we can't have a conversation and respect each other. I would love to know what your original post was about. 

• Members
6 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

We do not worship said flags - either of them - as they are simply symbols of things we respect.

The Statue of Liberty also represents this land of liberty. Would you mind a small statue of liberty being in the sanctuary, such as a small piggy bank where children could place their offering by coin?

• Members
2 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

All these replies and bluewater final got the one he was looking for ?

I'm right here Matt. You can address me directly, rather than in the 3rd person and about me.

You did the same thing to theopolitan; spoke about him behind his back and then laughed. Where's the love in that?

I came searching for fellowship, but I sensed something not right. And what did I find - an administrator-pastor making fun of someone after they left; and another administrator-pastor's wife who could learn that the Lord Himself is our banner, that Christ is our freedom/liberty given by God (no symbols necessary).

• Administrators

I'm confused. I replied directly under you in a public forum where you would get the notification. No one is making fun of you or anyone else but rather found the humor in who you replied to. It seems to me you were only looking to reply to people who had a flag in the auditorium, and that is what I found humor in. I only did the first person because you didn't address my reply to your question, so I did it publicly in the third person. My apologize as I didn't mean to offend you, I just didn't think you wanted to talk to me after I answered your question. 

If you will notice that I "@" theopolitan, so that he would get the notification (either browser or email) so that we could have a conversation. Nothing was done behind anyone's back, it's how message board software works. It works different than social media.

Lastly, it was a smile emoji, not the lol emoji. In other words, not to be taken seriously.