• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Karate and more, in the local Bible Church

Go to solution Solved by MikeWatson1,

• Members
2 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

If I had a church, that practice and teach karate classes, I would be afraid of getting sued, the church. Someone breaking a arm or leg. Kicking Martial Arts GIF by Team Coco

This is why most churches don't allow anyone to participate unless they sign a comprehensive waiver drawn up by a competent attorney. My wife and I used to be insurance agents who sold legal insurance and worked with attorney's to see that contracts for these kinds of things were sound. People are litigiuous these days, that's for sure. But, with the proper legal contract, it's hard to successfully sue someone and win. 

• Members
  • Solution

I used to be into New Age type beliefs. I'd meditate to be 'one' with things in nature and the supposed 'divine' and to be one with animals.

I hesitate to join in with martial arts now, because I'm wary of mysticism being taught through them.

If I wasn't sensitive to it, I may never actually notice it in a karate class, but I know the background of most martial arts is mystical.

What got me off the New Age stuff was reading Christian apologetics, and being convicted by Jesus to get serious about my faith (I believe i was saved before trying the New Age stuff)

There are self defense classes out there that have no spiritual element whatsoever.  Just used for discipline and confidence.  I could find one of them.