• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

It’s fall harvest festival time again, or Trunk or treat.

• Members

Some may say, here is the Glory land complaining again, but I’m not. During earthly holiday seasons, it’s OK, to try to reach out and give candy in a Family Environment Safe Way. Many churches will agree, and many will disagree. Times are changing, and not always for the better, but the Word and the gospel must be shared.

Be Safe

Trick Or Treat Halloween GIF

• Members
24 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Many churches (all denominations) here have "Trunk of Treat." They give out a pre-assembled pack of candy and information on the church, and a tract on how to be saved. Other churches have an annual "Fall Festival." 

Do you know when the local churches, started these events. 

• Members
3 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

Do you know when the local churches, started these events. 

Many years ago. It's not a new thing to do. I know the church I grew up in had a Bible Halloween where kids dressed up as Bible characters. I never personally participated as I was around 10 years old...50 some odd years ago. I know all but one church (Nazarene) didn't have one at that time. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The church I  attend has a fall festival event over at the K-12 school where students and church families both come.

Most churches around here do call it trunk or treat though...but they all have the same basic theme.

I'dont see any problem with creating an event as alternative to Halloween. I am much more concerned about Hindu Yoga classes being taught inside church buildings every week than family friendly church events.

• Moderators

My missionary friends just moved from Alberta down to West Virginia. They were shocked at how many churches planned to celebrate Halloween in some 'family friendly' manner. Halloween is and always has been a thoroughly pagan event, based on death and fear, honoring demons and witchcraft, and getting more and more gory as the years go by.  I have nothing against candy and costumes - but I believe that any 'celebration' of this wicked, evil day is unbecoming to believers and dishonoring to God.  Have a Christmas dress up time if that's what you want. Plan a Fall festival a month or two distant from Halloween to have fun with leaves and candy. But be careful not to excuse a partial celebration as anything better than the whole thing. It is this disregard of the association and intent of pagan events that leads to more serious compromises - like yoga in the church.

• Members
5 hours ago, Salyan said:

My missionary friends just moved from Alberta down to West Virginia. They were shocked at how many churches planned to celebrate Halloween in some 'family friendly' manner. Halloween is and always has been a thoroughly pagan event, based on death and fear, honoring demons and witchcraft, and getting more and more gory as the years go by.  I have nothing against candy and costumes - but I believe that any 'celebration' of this wicked, evil day is unbecoming to believers and dishonoring to God.  Have a Christmas dress up time if that's what you want. Plan a Fall festival a month or two distant from Halloween to have fun with leaves and candy. But be careful not to excuse a partial celebration as anything better than the whole thing. It is this disregard of the association and intent of pagan events that leads to more serious compromises - like yoga in the church.

I remember when karate was introduced into the local church, great work out, after school program? Also, this did not last to long, yoga family.

• Members
20 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

But in karate, members submit them self, to follow a teacher or Master. bowing to them, we Christians, Bow, to our Lord and Savior only.

parks and recreation the johnny karate super awesome musical explosion show GIF

There is a huge difference between showing reverence to a teacher and worshipping someone. You're promoting a false narrative here, and I find that reprehensible. 

• 1 year later...
  • Members

The police had a tough time on Halloween in the town I grew up in. Animal sacrifices and the whole witch thing was big in the 60's and 70's. My town borders Salem, MA.

P.S.  None of my ancestors were accused of being witches nor were they accusers back in the1690's.