• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can the fake news be reaching our weather…

• Members
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

SPAM has a lot of uses and can be used in many recipes. 

I hope you realize I was joking (some get their knickers in a twist pretty easy around here). I happen to love Spam. Been eating it since a child. Along with the afore mentioned sandwiches my grandfather got me hooked on, It is very tasty in my wife's Potato Salad and also goes well in a Potato/Cheese casserole she makes. Good stuff to have around. Can't say I've ever felt the need for 30 cans at a time though. 

• Moderators
On 10/5/2022 at 11:15 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

Salyan, I don't know about where you live, but where I live TP was certainly hoarded at the beginning of the Pandemic. My wording in  saying "well in advance" may have been the wrong term, because there was no "well in advance" at the beginning of the Pandemic.

It was hoarded to the extent that there was none available anywhere for over a month. Once it became available it was rationed by store clerks to keep people from hoarding; you couldn't just go in and grab a package, you had to get a clerk to give you one and it was kept at the front of the store so they could monitor it. This was not just one store, but all of them. Even paper towels and napkins were affected because people were using them in the absence of TP.

And it wasn't just TP; some stores looked like they were going out of business because the shelves looked bare. People were certainly hoarding. Any time you see someone pushing a cart and pulling a second one, both full of the same product, that is hoarding and perhaps, "well in advance"

I know, we had the same problems. But if people had stocked up over several months (buying a package or two every two weeks, say), well before the shortages began, THAT is not hoarding. And that is what I meant. Simply having a lot on hand bought in advance is not hoarding - buying two carts full when supplies are already low is definitely a problem. The difference is planning and being prepared, rather than reacting.  
And if only people would plan and be prepared in advance, they wouldn't feel the need for panic buying! I remain shocked at the number of people (with comfortable incomes and roomy closets) who keep only a couple of days worth of food in their cupboards, and no water on hand.

• Members
3 hours ago, Napsterdad said:

I hope you realize I was joking (some get their knickers in a twist pretty easy around here). I happen to love Spam. Been eating it since a child. Along with the afore mentioned sandwiches my grandfather got me hooked on, It is very tasty in my wife's Potato Salad and also goes well in a Potato/Cheese casserole she makes. Good stuff to have around. Can't say I've ever felt the need for 30 cans at a time though. 

I thought you might be, but wasn't 100% sure. We usually stock up for the quarter. 10 cans a month. We usually get a better price that way where we shop for our groceries. My parents started us on SPAM in the late 1960s...and sometimes their competitor TREET. I wasn't really fond of Treet, so, I stuck with SPAM, especially since it's what the military used. We use it in many dishes, from meatloaf (at times), as a change-up from bacon with eggs, and we've even used it on homemade pizza! ? It's got so many wonderful uses, and it's budget friendly. I was raised in a household of eight to twelve people, depending on who was with us at the time. Most of the time it was just my parents and we kids...six of us. That's a lot of mouths to feed, and dad couldn't always afford a lot of meat, especially during the Jimmy Carter years. 

1 hour ago, Salyan said:

I know, we had the same problems. But if people had stocked up over several months (buying a package or two every two weeks, say), well before the shortages began, THAT is not hoarding. And that is what I meant. Simply having a lot on hand bought in advance is not hoarding - buying two carts full when supplies are already low is definitely a problem. The difference is planning and being prepared, rather than reacting.  
And if only people would plan and be prepared in advance, they wouldn't feel the need for panic buying! I remain shocked at the number of people (with comfortable incomes and roomy closets) who keep only a couple of days worth of food in their cupboards, and no water on hand.

We always tried to have bottled water and water from the tap stored according to guidelines, put away for emergencies. Where I was raised there were constant problems with the water. My parents always bought things in bulk if they could, and it was from them that I learned to keep things in stock. Vivian and I used to use inventory sheets after we were first married, and we'd replace what we used as needed. It always helped us, but helped others as well as we always had canned or frozen veggies, meat, etc., to share with others. It's not just a matter of self, but of being able to help friends, neighbors, and the occasional other that is in need.