• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are there any good baptist women preachers out there...

• Members

Time are changing and so are the baptist doctrine. I don’t know if Christians, are now more open to women preachers. It seems that they are opening to more liberal views, and life styles. 

Edited by TheGloryLand
Correction made, easy approach.

• Members
1 hour ago, Salyan said:

TGL….  Could you find a different way to open subjects without ‘just checking’s’, please? We can have a profitable discussion on this topic, but opening the conversation this way always leads to contention. 

Okay thanks, I made an update to the opening post.

Edited by TheGloryLand

• Members

Women as pastors is Biblically unacceptable. I Timothy 3:2-6 gives the requirements for a "bishop," "pastor" or "overseer."  I Timothy 2 talks about the womans role in the church. Yet, I do know that in some Baptist churches, in pretty much every sect of Baptists, that a woman is allowed to speak under the guidance of the shepherd. I'm not so sure I agree with this point of view in light of the passages given.

• Members
59 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Women as pastors is Biblically unacceptable. I Timothy 3:2-6 gives the requirements for a "bishop," "pastor" or "overseer."  I Timothy 2 talks about the womans role in the church. Yet, I do know that in some Baptist churches, in pretty much every sect of Baptists, that a woman is allowed to speak under the guidance of the shepherd. I'm not so sure I agree with this point of view in light of the passages given.

I agree with you, but if can you explain what is the difference between a woman that is evangelizing or a woman that is preaching. This way, I can have an answer, if somebody ask me. If a woman is evangelizing this is Similar to that woman preaching.

• Moderators

Preaching is from a place of authority - like behind the pulpit, where the individual has the implied authority granted them of the church/denomination/etc.

Sharing the gospel or discussing doctrine one on one in the community has no implied authority - it’s just our personal opinion, for all anyone knows.

• Members

1 Corintians 14: 34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

and 1 Timothy 2:12

Times may change, but the word of God hasn't.

• Members

Everyone is commanded to witness (ie. evangelize), but only certain men are evangelists - the Bible teaches that it is a spiritual gift the Holy Spirit gives as He deems fit. I would also take that to mean the gift of evangelist is not being given to women today or in the past, as that would contradict the Bible itself (which He inspired in the first place). Of course, every saved person can be a witness.

As far as women preachers go, it is against the NT passages that teach that women are to keep silent in the churches. Yes, context is important and there are several passages that speak on this issue, but the overall gist is women are not to teach and preach to men and are not to be in positions of authority - such as pastor and deacon - in the NT church - and that also applies to women missionaries on foreign fields. I got saved in a Christian and MIssionary Alliance Church and I saw this directly being taught in that denomination (ie. that a woman can be a pastor or preacher in a foreign field, but not here in North America). However, the Bible does not change and the precepts/commands on how a church is to be organized do not change just because the country they are ministering in has changed.

Edited by Jerry

• Members
10 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

I agree with you, but if can you explain what is the difference between a woman that is evangelizing or a woman that is preaching. This way, I can have an answer, if somebody ask me. If a woman is evangelizing this is Similar to that woman preaching.

Evangelizing is quite different from being a pastor. I know many women go to the missionfield and present the gospel and disciple people. This isn't the same as being a bishop/pastor. I've known several who went to the Congo, Central African Republic, Kenya, and other nations in Africa, S. America, etc., and have led many to the Lord, discipled them, and then had member of the community who has been learning the doctrines of the Bible take full lead. It may not be the best situation, but there is some Biblical precedent where a woman has had to take the lead. I don't particularly like those situations, but, they do happen. 

• Moderators

I suppose the correct answer to this post is No, because if they're a women preacher, they're not a good Baptist! :laugh:

23 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

What I see today as a comparison, to this topic.  The man should go to fight the war, and not the woman, but today the woman do go to war to fight.

Times change, but not the Bible. Therefore this comparison is not applicable to the topic.

• Members

Yes, there are many families and churches where the men do not do what they are supposed to do - however, further compromise by the women will not strengthen the family or the church, nor have God's blessing. God certainly never called a women to preach if His Word is against women preachers (which it is).

When I was in my 20's, the United Church started ordaining homosexuals as moderators, pastors, and Sunday School teachers. I was working on my uncle's farm for the summer and he was a Sunday School teacher in a local United Church in his town in Saskatchewan. I asked him about this, and his reply was that these teachers still taught the Bible. Yet how could that be when their whole lifestyle and the fact they are in that position goes contrary to God's Word in the first place? They can't. In this case, the homosexual teachers were unregenerate, and therefore did not have the Holy Spirit opening up the Bible to them. It is not necessarily the same in the case of women preachers - though a women who  is usurping authority (whether saved or not) certainly is not being blessed or used by God.