Jump to content
Online Baptist Community

Is it the same Mary in these two accounts?


Recommended Posts

  • Members

I've recently been going back over notes from college, sermons I've heard in the churches I've been members of, and several of the preachers my wife and I have set under have preached on these Scriptures....Luke 7:36-50, and Mark 14:3-11....Some have said that these are two similar accounts and that these are two different Mary's. Others have taught that these are the same Mary. It was brought back to my attention this morning through some conversation at church. What do you believe concerning these two accounts. Are they the same or are they different accounts and different Mary's and why do you believe this way? 

Thanks in advance. 

BT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist
Posted (edited)

They are two entirely different accounts. The passage in Luke is in Jesus' early ministry. The woman is unnamed - church tradition of some sort says it is Mary Madgalene for various reasons, but the Bible does not say. It is an immoral woman who poured ointment over Jesus out of gratitude for being forgiven.

The other Gospels (Matthew, Mark, and John) contain the account of Mary of Bethany (Lazarus' sister, who was already saved), who anointed Jesus for His burial. According to those passages, this was literally the last week of Jesus' public ministry before His crucifixion.

So two entirely different women, one named Mary of Bethany, and the other unnamed. Both anointed Jesus for different reasons, and both had different people around them (Luke mentions Simon saying something about the moral nature of that woman, and the other Gospels mention Judas getting upset that the money was not put into the treasury bag which he was in charge of).

Edited by Jerry
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, Jerry said:

They are two entirely different accounts. The passage in Luke is in Jesus' early ministry. The woman is unnamed - church tradition of some sort says it is Mary Madgalene for various reasons, but the Bible does not say. It is an immoral woman who poured ointment over Jesus out of gratitude for being forgiven.

The other Gospels (Matthew, Mark, and John) contain the account of Mary of Bethany (Lazarus' sister, who was already saved), who anointed Jesus for His burial. According to those passages, this was literally the last week of Jesus' public ministry before His crucifixion.

So two entirely different women, one named Mary of Bethany, and the other unnamed. Both anointed Jesus for different reasons, and both had different people around them (Luke mentions Simon saying something about the moral nature of that woman, and the other Gospels mention Judas getting upset that the money was not put into the treasury bag which he was in charge of).

I agree with this assessment of the passages. This morning our pastor preached on these two passages in his sermon Praying with Fire. In the first Bible college I went to, and even in the Christian high school I went to, the Bible teachers were teaching that these were the same account. I could never reconcile my researh to believe this. When I questioned the position, the professors/Bible teacher became frustrated and said to "ask God."  Since I already had prayed to find the right answer, I explained to them exactly what you just stated. Thanks for your input. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

It was either Origen or Augustine (both early church fathers/heretics) that originally taught that it was Mary Magdalene in Luke 7, and many people through the years have taken their words for it - yet both allegorized and corrected the Bible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
13 minutes ago, Jerry said:

It was either Origen or Augustine (both early church fathers/heretics) that originally taught that it was Mary Magdalene in Luke 7, and many people through the years have taken their words for it - yet both allegorized and corrected the Bible.

Yes, they did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2022 at 1:51 PM, BrotherTony said:

I've recently been going back over notes from college, sermons I've heard in the churches I've been members of, and several of the preachers my wife and I have set under have preached on these Scriptures....Luke 7:36-50, and Mark 14:3-11....Some have said that these are two similar accounts and that these are two different Mary's. Others have taught that these are the same Mary. It was brought back to my attention this morning through some conversation at church. What do you believe concerning these two accounts. Are they the same or are they different accounts and different Mary's and why do you believe this way? 

Thanks in advance. 

BT

Similar but seperate stories with the one in Luke taking place at Nain in Galilee and the Mark account taking place at Bethany outside of Jerusalem.

Both accounts, in context, have Jesus weeping, raising up a dead man, having his feet anointed in the home of a man named Simon (one a Pharisee and the other a leper) and incurring the anger of the Pharisees in one case and the disciples in the other.

Now John 11:2 seems to suggest that Mary the brother of Lazarus already anointed Jesus' feet but she doesn't do that until the next chapter unless she anointed his feet twice, once in Nain and again in Bethany (maybe twice in Bethany since it appears his feet were anointed on two seperate occasions).

It could also have been the "sinner" Mary Magdalene who anointed his feet in Luke 7 because in the next chapter Mary Magdalene is said to have started following the Lord after he cast seven devils out of her. This would be my guess to which Mary it was.

 

Edited by SureWord
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

There are only two occasions of Jesus weeping in the Gospels - one is at Lazarus' tomb, and the other is just before He went to the cross and He wept over Jerusalem.

John 11:2 (It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)

This verse is a summary statement, and the next chapter gives the details. It is not referring to two separate anointings with Mary of Bethany.

13 hours ago, SureWord said:

It could also have been the "sinner" Mary Magdalene who anointed his feet in Luke 7 because in the next chapter Mary Magdalene is said to have started following the Lord after he cast seven devils out of her. This would be my guess to which Mary it was.

I understand how someone could arrive at this conclusion seeing as she is mentioned in the chapter following the events in Luke 7 - though we need to be careful we don't arrive at our beliefs or conclusions of certain things in the Bible by assumption. (Not saying you are doing this - but I am referring to the many commentators, etc. through the centuries that have stated the conclusion that it was Mary Magdalene, taught it as fact, and then for 1600-1700 years it is restated as doctrine.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
6 hours ago, Jerry said:

There are only two occasions of Jesus weeping in the Gospels - one is at Lazarus' tomb, and the other is just before He went to the cross and He wept over Jerusalem.

John 11:2 (It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)

This verse is a summary statement, and the next chapter gives the details. It is not referring to two separate anointings with Mary of Bethany.

I understand how someone could arrive at this conclusion seeing as she is mentioned in the chapter following the events in Luke 7 - though we need to be careful we don't arrive at our beliefs or conclusions of certain things in the Bible by assumption. (Not saying you are doing this - but I am referring to the many commentators, etc. through the centuries that have stated the conclusion that it was Mary Magdalene, taught it as fact, and then for 1600-1700 years it is restated as doctrine.)

It's just a guess based on circumstantial evidence. Her name is not mentioned.  It could be because the disciples who read the gospels at the time they were written were familiar with all the "Marys" (Jesus' mother, Mary Magdalene, Mary of Bethany and Mary  the wife of Cleophas) but would not have been familiar with who the woman was at Nain so no name was given. Just more speculation on my part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
  • Recent Achievements

    • ITJesus earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • JenM earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • ITJesus earned a badge
      First Post
    • ITJesus earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • 2bLikeJesus earned a badge
      Very Popular
  • Tell a friend

    Love Online Baptist Community? Tell a friend!
  • Members

    No members to show

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Barbara Ann

      I am a researcher and writer at Watch Unto Prayer which I started 25 years ago. On this website there are many well-documented articles and audio programs by myself and other researchers whose ministry is to expose the endtime apostasy of the Church. Now more than ever Christians need information in order to identify and avoid the various deceptions that are in nearly all the churches.
      My husband and I attended the IFB Bible Baptist Church of James Knox a couple of years ago. We left the church after we were informed by the assistant pastor that we were not allowed to express views to other members that do not agree with the views of the pastor and leaders of the church. We were not introducing heresy but expressing our views concerning the State of Israel. We had never been in a church which forbade private conversations on issues where there are diverse opinions. This we recognized as cultlike control of church members. To inform Christians, my husband, who is also a researcher and writer, started a website on the subject: Zionism Exposed: A Watchman Ministry.
      · 0 replies
    • Free Spirit

      Jesus said:"I am the truth, the way, and the life. No man can come to The Father, but by Me."
      · 0 replies
    • Richg  »  BrotherTony

      Brother Tony, I read your reply on Anderson, I know you all think I'm argumentative but, when you don't agree.....the first thought I had is, I wish you would introduce me to the guy that hasn't sinned, maybe David, that had a man killed so he could commit adultery, yet, he was & is a man after Gods own heart, or maybe Paul the guy that persecuted and had Christians killed, or maybe Richg or Kent H, or even you ! I used to listen to personalities also when I was younger but today and for some time, my only concern is, does it line up with scripture & to me its hilarious that you think "I'm in a fix" LOL, I interpreted what we've discussed perfectly, not because I'm smart, but because with an open mind to things of God, its an easy read.
      · 1 reply
    • Richg  »  Jerry

      I thought you wanted me to stop talking to you !
      · 0 replies
    • Richg  »  PastorMatt

      Why is it here in 2022 that truth is all of a sudden arrogance ?
      · 0 replies
  • Topics

×
×
  • Create New...