• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Memorial services for those that served

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Salyan said:

That's funny, because in Canada (and I'm guessing the rest of the Commonwealth), November 11 is Remembrance Day, and honors in particular those who gave their lives during the Wars.  America's just gotta be different, I guess. ? 

Well, we ARE different, but in all seriousness: 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 the Armistice with Germany went into effect, officially ending The Great War ( the war to end all wars -- just over 20 yrs later to be renamed World War One). Commonwealth Countries continued with the original name of Armistice Day. In 1954 the US changed the name to Veterans Day and expanded it to include honoring all except those with a Dishonorable Discharge.

We already had a holiday to honor the fallen - Memorial Day, started in 1868 and was 30 May until 1970 when it was moved to the last Mon in May (all national holidays were moved to a Mon in order to ensure everyone a 3 day weekend because what's a holiday (no matter how solemn the occasion) without our fun, right?)

• Administrators

Interestingly enough, Memorial Day began as "Decoration Day," and was specifically to honor Union soldiers who died during the War of Northern Aggression (yes, I did say that heehee). The world wars are what changed it to honor all of our troops who've died while serving, and Congress made "Memorial Day" official in 1970.

Armed Services Day is also in May, and honors all who are currently serving. I'm glad we here in the US honor our veterans with these days. I wish we were more cognizant of their physical needs when they return from war.

• Moderators

Wow, siblings (sigh)!

Yawl (to avoid the argument over y'all or ya'll) should be grateful to us for paving the way. We wanted to move out of the house and ended up in a big fight with Mama. The favorite kids got their independence without such a big fuss (although she held onto her babies for a LONG time).

Come to think about it, if we hadn't joined in her defense against the bully across the street (Channel) we would probably not be back on speaking terms with her OR the siblings.   ?