• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Memorial services for those that served

• Members

This Sunday, many churches will take a moment to appreciate those that served in our military. This is a good way to thank these families, and to share the gospel. Do your church participate in this service every year, if not, why not. I believe most Baptist churches do, those that don’t could be that they are liberals, my guess.

We Remember Memorial Day GIF by INTO ACTION

• Members

Is it a US holiday or special occasion specifically in the US? We have Remembrance Day in November, but that is the only day I am personally aware of when Veterans are honoured publically where I live in Canada.

I have never been in any church (Baptist or otherwise) that had a special service to honour the veterans. I do not think it is a liberal thing up here, just not something that affects or impacts the people I know as much.** (I am not knocking a special service or day like this. I have just never observed anything other than Remembrance Day, which is November 11th.) Though I have noticed as time goes on that less and less people up around where I live buy poppies, donate, honour their relatives that fought in certain wars, or even stand up and give that veteran a seat, etc. (though many of the youth in the next generation and last generation don't even do that for seniors in general anymore).

**As far as I go personally, war has not effected me or my family. I never grew up with any relatives talking about any war experiences, never had a parent take us to something celebrating veterans. I know what the Bible says about defending our country and our homes, but have never been involved in the military/army/navy in any way - except for a couple of months of being a cadet in the 70's. All I remember from then was them teaching us how to march and to clean our white cadet hats with white toothpaste.

• Members

Memorial day is a US holiday, other countries have different days to remember their military veterans. Whether or not any church celebrates this holiday or merely makes mention of it to thank their veterans, or doesn't mention anything at all has no bearing on whether or not they are liberal. The Baptist church I attend does not celebrate or mention this holiday since we are not in America. 

Edited by Rebecca

• Members
3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Is it a US holiday or special occasion specifically in the US? We have Remembrance Day in November, but that is the only day I am personally aware of when Veterans are honoured publically where I live in Canada.

I have never been in any church (Baptist or otherwise) that had a special service to honour the veterans. I do not think it is a liberal thing up here, just not something that affects or impacts the people I know as much.** (I am not knocking a special service or day like this. I have just never observed anything other than Remembrance Day, which is November 11th.) Though I have noticed as time goes on that less and less people up around where I live buy poppies, donate, honour their relatives that fought in certain wars, or even stand up and give that veteran a seat, etc. (though many of the youth in the next generation and last generation don't even do that for seniors in general anymore).

**As far as I go personally, war has not effected me or my family. I never grew up with any relatives talking about any war experiences, never had a parent take us to something celebrating veterans. I know what the Bible says about defending our country and our homes, but have never been involved in the military/army/navy in any way - except for a couple of months of being a cadet in the 70's. All I remember from then was them teaching us how to march and to clean our white cadet hats with white toothpaste.

Thank you for replying, yes this is a USA holiday, memorial day. I should’ve mentioned Baptist churches of America. 

• Administrators

Our church doesn't do a special service to commemorate memorial Day, nor has any Baptist church I have been in do so. We, and they, just make mention of it and perhaps  say a special prayer for the country and those who served.

• Administrators

Memorial Day is specifically to remember our troops who died while fighting. We honor those still alive and in uniform on Armed Services Day. Veterans Day is to honor all veterans, living or dead.

That said, no, we didn't really do anything today. Hubs did talk a bit about why we observe Memorial Day, and he talked about the USS Arizona, where over 900 soldiers were entombed alive from the Japanese attack on Pearl. His message was actually about Passover being a memorial. Good message.

I don't agree with the liberal part of the post. Simply because it's wrong to say that just because a church might not mention Memorial Day it is likely liberal. Pastors speak and lead as God leads them. Who are any of us to say they are wrong for not mentioning it in some way? 

• Members
20 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

This Sunday, many churches will take a moment to appreciate those that served in our military. This is a good way to thank these families, and to share the gospel. Do your church participate in this service every year, if not, why not. I believe most Baptist churches do, those that don’t could be that they are liberals, my guess.

Many churches will give a moment or two to the remembrance of those who gave their lives in defense of our country and freedoms.  

But, again, Morales, just an observation here...why the jab at those who don't by referring to them as liberal? Just because they don't follow your prescribed line of thought concerning the issue doesn't mean they're liberal. Let's let the Holy Spirit lead what goes on in our services and not put our own ideology in place on what should or shouldn't be preached from the pulpit. 

• Members
4 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Memorial Day is specifically to remember our troops who died while fighting. We honor those still alive and in uniform on Armed Services Day. Veterans Day is to honor all veterans, living or dead.

That said, no, we didn't really do anything today. Hubs did talk a bit about why we observe Memorial Day, and he talked about the USS Arizona, where over 900 soldiers were entombed alive from the Japanese attack on Pearl. His message was actually about Passover being a memorial. Good message.

I don't agree with the liberal part of the post. Simply because it's wrong to say that just because a church might not mention Memorial Day it is likely liberal. Pastors speak and lead as God leads them. Who are any of us to say they are wrong for not mentioning it in some way? 

Here in America the liberals not all, but many are against anything where authorities like the military or police are in control. There are rule’s and laws were we must live by. This movement is even slipping into our churches, were there are those say the evil doers to our armed forces. Can you imagine this in America today, it’s happening.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

Here in America the liberals not all, but many are against anything where authorities like the military or police are in control. There are rule’s and laws were we must live by. This movement is even slipping into our churches, were there are those say the evil doers to our armed forces. Can you imagine this in America today, it’s happening.

I know very well what's happening in America, and I grieve for her as I pray for her. And, yes, there are churches that are following the progressive line...pastors are the wolves rather than the undershepherd/sheepdog they are supposed to be. However, labeling as liberal those Baptist churches that might not mention Memorial Day is a misnomer and a bad judgment call. Again, because a Spirit-led pastor will do as God leads him. And that would include this subject.

I understand your thinking, but let's not label churches that we've never even been in and actually have no idea what they teach or believe.  Progressive, unbiblical churches label themselves and we should stay away from them. But let's exercise the beauty of American ideals and allow non-progressive churches liberty. 

• Moderators
On 5/29/2022 at 7:41 AM, TheGloryLand said:

those that don’t could be that they are liberals, my guess.

Bro, I like to jerk folks chains as much as the next guy ----- HOWEVER. Your guess is what is known as a WILD guess.

If a church honors those who signed their name to Uncle Sam's blank check, I don't have a problem with it. If a church says secular things (and it IS a secular thing) doesn't have place in our gathering for spiritual things, I don't have a problem with it.

I'm NOT a liberal in the least AND I'm a vet, with a brother, 3 b-i-l, f-i-l, Dad, grandfather, numerous uncles, numerous cousins, etc who are all vets. In combat zones, in actual enemy contact, support roles, Army, USAF. USN. Marines, CSA, Civil War, WWl, WW2, Korea, Viet Nam, Iraq.

• Members
1 hour ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

Bro, I like to jerk folks chains as much as the next guy ----- HOWEVER. Your guess is what is known as a WILD guess.

If a church honors those who signed their name to Uncle Sam's blank check, I don't have a problem with it. If a church says secular things (and it IS a secular thing) doesn't have place in our gathering for spiritual things, I don't have a problem with it.

I'm NOT a liberal in the least AND I'm a vet, with a brother, 3 b-i-l, f-i-l, Dad, grandfather, numerous uncles, numerous cousins, etc who are all vets. In combat zones, in actual enemy contact, support roles, Army, USAF. USN. Marines, CSA, Civil War, WWl, WW2, Korea, Viet Nam, Iraq.

Thank you and those mentioned for serving. 

• Members
23 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

Thank you and those mentioned for serving. 

Remember, Morales, MEMORIAL DAY (the last Monday in May) is for REMEMBERING those who lost their lives in the military serving to preserve our freedom and the freedom of others. VETERANS DAY, for those who have served in the military for this country, is observed on November 11th each year. Many try to turn MEMORIAL DAY into VETERANS DAY, and it shouldn't be. There's no harm in mentioning veterans on Memorial Day, but, it's specifically set aside for those who gave all in service to this country. That said, I have two brothers, my great x3 grandfathers (one served in the Confederacy, while the other was in the Union Army and escaped after being captured in Chattanooga, TN...he did this 2x in less than a year), two nieces, my paternal grandfather, his two brothers (all served in the Army during WW II), a nephew who served in Iraq during the 2nd Iraqi War and was wounded and nearly killed there, and many cousins who have served in various branches of the military. I personally tried to enter the Army and the Navy when I was 18, but couldn't become enlisted because of challenges with my back and legs. My birth father is a Marine, and he just turned 80 on May 24th.