• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do members still carry their bibles to church

Go to solution Solved by Jerry,

• Members

I don’t think so, it doesn’t look like many more still do. Some I probably think, says it’s old fashion. I have it on my cell, or tablet. Many don’t know, after changing their cell phone and downloading it again the app, it removes all prior notes and highlights.  ? Bring your Bible to church 

• Members

Morales....In the churches I have attended over the past 20 years, nearly EVERYBODY brings their Bibles. I know many also have it on their phones, but, they don't usually use that in church. I have friends who are pastors in Cowboy churches, Methodist churches, Presbyterian churches, and even in CoG, and CoC churches, and they have a HUGE # of people who carry their Bibles.  I don't know where you're going to church, or why you're consistantly posting in a negative sense...but, wouldn't it be better if you approached subjects in a positive, not negative manner? 

• Members
10 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Morales....In the churches I have attended over the past 20 years, nearly EVERYBODY brings their Bibles. I know many also have it on their phones, but, they don't usually use that in church. I have friends who are pastors in Cowboy churches, Methodist churches, Presbyterian churches, and even in CoG, and CoC churches, and they have a HUGE # of people who carry their Bibles.  I don't know where you're going to church, or why you're consistantly posting in a negative sense...but, wouldn't it be better if you approached subjects in a positive, not negative manner? 

I must be giving fake news, Cowboy Churches…

• Members
5 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

I must be giving fake news, Cowboy Churches…

You've never heard of a Cowboy Church? There are thousands of them throughout the United States.They were essentially started in 1972 to try and reach a relatively untouched group of people.  http://www.AmericanFCC.org is the one that my wife and I have been associated with for the past couple of years. We go to a Southern Baptist affiliated church, but, we also have been involved with the AFCC in various things. 

• Members
16 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Tony, I also had not heard of a "Cowboy" church until I saw it mentioned on this forum. How does it differ from a traditional IFB church, and are they indeed IFB churches?

Cowboy churches come from all types of denominations...but to be in fellowship with the AFCC, they have to agree to have only the Bible as their final authority for faith and practice. They are all autonomous churches, just like IFB, SBC and other churches without a hierarchy are. Some are very close to the IFB church model. I know Dr. James "Mac" McLeod's church (Chisum Trails Cowboy Church) in Powderly, TX, and Dr. Werth Mayes church (Cowboy Church of Erath County) in Stephenville, TX are very close to Baptist models. There are some that are more like Bible churches, and some that lean towards the CoG or the CoC, but usually don't have all the hang-ups that those denominations have. To be honest, Jim, I have noticed that many IFB churches don't hold strictly to what the IFB churches held to while I was gowing up in Illiniois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Missouri. The regional differences and worship styles were so varied, it sometimes felt like we were walking into a different denomination on Sunday morning! 

• Members
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

Cowboy churches come from all types of denominations...but to be in fellowship with the AFCC, they have to agree to have only the Bible as their final authority for faith and practice. They are all autonomous churches, just like IFB, SBC and other churches without a hierarchy are. Some are very close to the IFB church model. I know Dr. James "Mac" McLeod's church (Chisum Trails Cowboy Church) in Powderly, TX, and Dr. Werth Mayes church (Cowboy Church of Erath County) in Stephenville, TX are very close to Baptist models. There are some that are more like Bible churches, and some that lean towards the CoG or the CoC, but usually don't have all the hang-ups that those denominations have. To be honest, Jim, I have noticed that many IFB churches don't hold strictly to what the IFB churches held to while I was gowing up in Illiniois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Missouri. The regional differences and worship styles were so varied, it sometimes felt like we were walking into a different denomination on Sunday morning! 

There’s a new sheriff in town… or church.  

Smile …  Heee Haww ?

Lets Go Reaction GIF by Mason Ramsey

• Members
  • Solution

In my church, the regular members and visitors still bring their Bibles. We do have some Bibles by the pews (with the hymnals) so that if anyone forgets theirs, there is still one available to use. Most members and visitors don't use their cell phone apps during the service as it is a bit of a distraction. I occasionally use my phone to look up a definition or a parallel passage that comes to mind while listening to the preaching, but I use it discreetly and do not do my main Bible reading from it in church, so as not to be a distraction or potential disturbance to others.

• Administrators

Members at our church as well as most visitors do indeed carry their Bibles. We also have Bibles at various places for those who don't have one. We have one member who uses a tablet to follow scripture because there are no Bibles with large enough print for his almost-blind eyes. I think how wonderful it would have been for my almost-blind dad to have had a tablet so that he could make the font large enough for him to follow along.